hzdeleted_40202551

Kumquat disease ? Nutrient deficiency ?

User
6 years ago

Here is a Nagami kumquat that's had this issue since I bought it from the nursery 4 months ago. Despite being well fed it has dropped numerous leaves and remained completely stagnant. It has however rooted itself well after being root pruned and potted up. Any ideas?

Comments (19)

• johnmerr
    6 years ago

Your pot is way too small for a tree that size.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Johmerr-Thanks for your reply.

The pot is the same size as the nursery pot (that it didn't even halfway fill out) and I root pruned it way back. The roots have now taken hold but it's more than adequate for the summer season.

The tree is only 3 ft tall, perhaps the picture makes it seem much larger than it is.

Whatever issue it has, came with the tree when I purchased it. I assumed I could fix it but even with all the necessary nutrients no luck yet.

• sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)
    6 years ago

I would say take good care of it and give it some time. When you root prune drastically, you also have to do some pruning to the canopy (From my personal experiences).

• tom1328732
    6 years ago

Pot size could be a matter of perspective, but it looks like that stippled white damage is from spider mites while overwintering. They shouldn't be a problem now that the tree is outside. The damage won't go away, but new growth should be fine.

-Tom

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sunshine-I normally agree but citrus handles root pruning great in my experience and this issue was just as severe before the root pruning. Other than some leaf drop its remained completely stagnant.

Tom- The citrus trees before they are shipped to the nursery from Florida are treated with systemic pesticides ( by law)and as a result very rarely have pests for at least a few months. There were no signs of pests when I purchased the tree or here in my home. The leaves are so ugly I'm considering topping it and letting it all regrow.

• eSilviu
    6 years ago

spider mites damage.

growing new leaves happens in flushes, so it is normal to apparently "sleep" for a few months.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I would have thought the systemics that prevent the citrus greening bug would prevent the spider mites but I'll pull out the Neem oil and start spraying for a few weeks. I'll also prune off that dreadful foliage and allow lots of lush new growth this summer.

• hibiscus909
    6 years ago

I'd leave the foliage on, it may not look good but it is providing some photosynthesis.

Hope it perks up for you soon :)

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Spider mites are not bugs, they are a type of arachnid... thus you need a miticide to kill spider mites. Systemic soil drenches actually promote spider mites by killing any beneficial insects that may be present. Horticultural oil works well as a miticide.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I would never use a systemic personally but unfortunately by law they are treated prior to shipping to my local nursery.

What's a natural/safe miticide? Is Neem sufficient ?

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Excellent, I'll use the Neem for now and I'll buy that stuff when I finish up.

It appears these mites have infiltrated a few of my other citrus trees but to a much lesser degree.

Thanks everyone for all the help!

• PRO
    Greenscape Gardens
    6 years ago

I like the insecticidal soap. Make sure you get the concentrate and use a pressure sprayer bottle. you can get them at the dollar store. I find you get a much more even application with the pressure sprayer and the soap is subsequently more effective.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I use a pump pressure sprayer. Are they like scale and love warm/dry winter home conditions? Any good preventive measures?

• tom1328732
    6 years ago

If you have your trees outside now and they get somewhat regular rainfall, you probably won't need to do anything until this fall when you bring them back in. Believe it or not, raindrops actually kill the little critters because they're so fragile, and numerous beneficials enjoy them. But yes, they thrive in warm and dry (and especially dusty) conditions.

I hit my trees with one spraying of abamectin (miticide) in the fall before I bring them in and never have mite problems during the winter under 3000 W of light. Otherwise, neem and hort oil work well if applied every 1-2 months over the winter.

-Tom

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Great, I'll keep an eye till the fall and pretreat before coming back in.

• hibiscus909
    6 years ago

Also get some good air circulation for your indoor growing. Especially towards the underside of the leaves. And mist with water.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I just found a few scale now too so hopefully the warm humid weather holds them at bay till the fall. I picked them off. Sounds like I might/should invest in a grow tent for my tropicals. I have a sunny window but real estate is limited and I can't mist without getting walls wet.

• PRO
    Greenscape Gardens
    6 years ago

I wouldn't worry about the tent for your trees (they are going to grow; just cover a whole room or closet in Mylar ;) ). Just remember to do a little preventative spraying in the fall when you bring them in and you should be fine.

Sponsored
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.