0
Your shopping basket is empty.

Which front door??

redpoppy2
31 May, 2017
Hi ..lived with this white pvc front door since we lived here 20 years ago..I've wanted to change it since the day we moved in !! But for lots of reasons it still remains...So now Ive got round to having it changed I'm uncertain on material/design/colour???.... The cottage/house dates back to 1749 and faces West... So Composite? Hardwood?... Design? I have seen several on here and do have favourites..but not certain if they are ideal ...Colour?.. I do like the greys.. but dark grey or light??.. (the window colours unfortunately will have to stay white.. again pvc set inside double glazing)...please help ...Patricia
  • minnie101

I'd go for a hardwood Georgian 6 panel door. Dark grey, grey green or inky/petrol blues would work but also colours like farrow and ball inchyra blue or French gray. It just depends what look you want

Create Perfect
    Hi Redpoppy. Can you share a few you have seen that you like? It would give us a better idea of the sort of thing you're looking for :) thanks
  • redpoppy2
    Here are some of my favourite colours and designs
  • celerygirl

Blue colour looks great with brick

• redpoppy2
    Thank you celery girl ...hope you get this I seem to be struggling replying on my discussion board
  • redpoppy2
    Oh wow , I hadn't seen your pics you'd put up for me... that's wonderful...I was thinking of having door surround painted same colour as door too
    Traditional Sash Windows

Hi redpoppy2

I've sent you an ideabook.

Regards

Graham

• celerygirl

redpoppy2Do not paint door frame please. Live it white as windows frame.

Designer Range
    Have you tried the SOLIDOR door designer? They offer a good variety of designs and colours. Once you have your design you can submit it to them for a quotation.
  • Asifa S.
    I too would recommend Solidor or Rockdoor- they have quality doors at good prices. They both also have a design your own door facility with the Rockdoor website having the additional feature of adding the designed door onto your property so you can visualise the style and colours against your property

Good Luck
  • redpoppy2
    Thank you all for your suggestions and advice... I'll keep you posted x
  • kirkysmum

We've just had a Solidor front door (in the Chartwell Green colour) fitted. It's definitely solid and looks great on our terraced cottage - I would recommend this brand.

James Poore Lighting Design

speak to these guys http://www.tailored-wood.co.uk/  they are also here on Houzz.

You can even source an original reclaimed door if you see a particular one you like and they will fully refurbish it and make any necessary changes or amendments.

They are just doing our doors and windows for us and we did exactly that.

Good luck

• Lisa Burdett
    Celery girl. I'm wondering if you said keep the door frame white because of the windows being white? Is that the rule of thumb?
  • bombel1972

i'm kinda in love with the the door with the heart wreath AND the one with the big no.2 on top! both color and design

French and Westcott

We would be delighted to offer you a quotation.

Wood Window Alliance

You need a traditional panelled solid wood door - factory-finished.

Traditional timber front door in blue with glazed fanlight. · More Info

• forzaitalia
    We had a very similar question the other day so may be worth trying to find it? It may help. I sourced a 1930's front door online. It is narrower than normal as I just couldn't find one locally. There are hundreds of doors online. Hardwood is the priciest. Mine was £189 but it is oak veneer over a pine core. As my door is in a porch it doesn't really get wet so I could get away with it. It was fitted by a local chippie and then I painted in F & B Cooks Blue. It does look good. I would research the right style door for the era of your house and keep to that style. My sister recently had a composite door fitted to her terraced house. It's black with chrome furniture and it is lovely. She paid about £600.