adrianlowery

Ideas for false chimney breast with alcove shelving & cupboards

adrianlowery
6 years ago

We have a totally blank wall in our living room where we would like to have alcove shelving above cupboards on either side of a false chimney breast. We have ruled out installing a burner / gas fire as we won't be in the flat for much more than two years so can't justify the expense.

So I'm guessing we can get a handyman / joiner to put up an MDF box, with a 'fireplace' in the bottom? Then get shelving and cupboards fitted in the alcoves.

A couple of questions. What would we put on the bottom of the false fireplace - a plinth of some sort? And what inside it? I know people put flowers and candles in them etc... but I dunno, I'm a bit over that.

Also is there anything novel we can do with the false chimney breast - in the way of storage? We are chronically short of storage space so it seems a shame to have about 25 cubic feet of nothing jutting into the room. But then a cupboard door would just look a bit untidy / daft I suppose...

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.