henrybourne

Narrow bed in a small paved yard. Plants or slate chippings?

henrybourne
6 years ago

Hello. We've got a small paved back yard and need some advice for what to do about the long narrow bed beneath the fence.

The paving hasn't been very well looked after and is a bit stained, but I think we're sticking with it and getting it re-jointed. I've painted the fence and I love the colour. It's a great base to give contrast to whatever we decide to put in front.

I've had a few ideas for the bed, but I'm not sure what to do. It's 30 cm wide, but there are big lumps of concrete around the fence posts. I'm not sure how deep it goes before it reaches rubble.

One idea I had was to plant a small buxus hedge all the way along the bed, so there was a short block of green running along the fence. I've no idea if that's practical in the space we have, but I think it would look neat.

Another idea was to lay some weed control fabric and cover it with blue slate chippings. Maybe putting some small potted plants on top?

I'm thinking about a small tree in a big pot for the far corner, and maybe some sort of purple plants in pots to put in front of the bed, or in it?

So a lot of thoughts, but I really appreciate some other opinions! Thanks.

Here's the 'before' picture to show how far we've come!

Comments (10)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.