bellabellat

Dado Dilemma in Victorian hallway renovation

Bella T
6 years ago
Looking for some advice on removing the dado rail from our Victorian hallway. I’m not usually in favour of removing original features but there’s a rather messy arrangement at the stop of the stairs which we have been scratching our heads about. If you can see on the dodgy pictures attached, there’s narrow shelf thing at the top of the stairs where the wall widens out slightly. Currently the dado is awkwardly chopped off before starting again and then zigzagging around wildly before reaching the top landing. This is the weirdest bit but there are plenty of other oddities.
So my question is - if we get rid of the dado will it emphasis the narrowness of the hall? Should we keep the picture rail if we don’t have a dado? We’re putting in a higher skirting and stripping the stairs and obviously the horrid floor tiles will be replaced with boards. Any advice or ideas very gratefully received.

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.