james_townsend13

Looking to add internal wall in bedroom - looking for advice

James T
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi all, first time posting here. Hope you can give me some advice.

I have a long narrow bedroom (2.8m x 6.6m) with a wardrobe on the back wall, sort of free standing. I don't think it looks great but it's the only place I can put it. I'd like to add an internal wall that comes into the room about half way to define separate areas for the bed and the wardrobe, so it's almost like a walk in wardrobe. The other benefit of the internal wall is that it will give me some privacy as the window in the bedroom is opposite a block of flats.

My dilemma is that people have told me this isn't a good idea and no one wants to walk into the wardrobe before the bedroom, suggesting it could hurt the resale value.

I wanted to know what you think, do you think it's a good idea? Are there other options?

I've attached floor plans of the current layout and with the wall added. The door into the bedroom is bottom left. The door at the bottom leads into the en-suite. There is a door top left that leads to the balcony and the window is at the top. I've also attached a photo of what it could look like with the wall added.

Thanks

James

Comments (49)

• Emily
    6 years ago
    I think that idea will be pleasing to look at and functional. Totally get that it’s good to have daylight whilst getting dressed but don’t want to be overlooked while doing it.
    James T thanked Emily
  • A B
    6 years ago

I like the idea in theory, but I wonder if both the spaces you create could end up feeling a little cramped? In terms of resale, I think some people would love it, some would plan on removing the wall (which would mean new flooring, redecorating). Could a less permanent solution such as an L shaped wardrobe extending into the room instead of the wall be another option?

James T thanked A B
  • Related Discussions

Fresh look for bedroom

Q

Comments (36)
    I agree that that duck egg blue would be worth considering or perhaps a grey/ mauve colour for the waIls and bed cover/ cushions . I would as others have suggested , certainly get rid of the picture above the chest and replace it with a large mirror with a decorative frame . It's not clear what the present lighting is or if you have a bedside table but a nice lamp either on the chest or beside table would help create a nice atmosphere . Also I would replace any curtains with a Roman blind in a complimentary fabríc with black out lining . If you look on line you can get these quite reasonably just make sure you get the measurements right . The blind should sit out side the window recess so when drawn up it gives a sort of pelmet effect
    ...See More

creating a bedroom using an Internal wall

Q

Comments (9)
    Hi everyone. Thanks for your comments. I cannot afford a loft conversion and the roof is a hip end which would require turning it into a gable end and needing a dormer but I may be able to afford to build on top of the kitchen extension. The room would be very small though. The creation of the aforementioned corridor gives me an extra wall that I can put furniture against as I have downsized from a 5 bed to 2.5 bed. It won't be a dark room as it has double french doors and there is another window space which is currently a double doorway leading into the kitchen. I prefer the living room at the front of the house. The light is better and there is a nicer fieplace and it is cosy. If I was going to sell, the new bedroom would be marketed as a dining room.
    ...See More

bedroom looking a bit heavy?

Q

Comments (20)
    I don’t agree that blue is somehow masculine and needs prettying up with pink. And personally I think you have the proportions of room to go much further than an accent of blue. Instead I think you should paint all the walls blue, then add white soft furnishings and then an accent of another colour perhaps in a rug or soft furnishings. I would probably paint the fireplace white
    ...See More

Looking for a fresh new look in our master bedroom

Q

Comments (14)
    Hi Amanda wow big room I’m guessing from the foliage and the air con it is not in UK? Are you renting or have you bought, just asking as you would have more choices if you own. Great to have lots of windows and light but they eat up all your wall space don’t they? Do you like having your bed under the air con? If you had a head board you could move it against the wall with the windows with blinds on then it would be facing as you walk in. You could then get the tv on a nice chest of drawers unit on either the left or right walls between the windows. Colour wise as you have a lot of green already I would suggest an earthy terracotta which if you were brave enough could be in a wash effect which would be more subtle, however if you want to bring in pinks and purples in the soft furnishings as previous suggestion then terracotta would clash. I would consider whatever colour you do the walls to take up over the ceiling as that will make it more cosy and blur the lines of walls and ceilings. Re wardrobes it depends how much storage you need if you need a lot then fitted would probably work best - you could use rattan blinds to drop down over openings if you got sick of looking at the clutter. I have seen lots of people replace solid doors with cane inserts so they look less imposing will post some pics for you
    ...See More
  • James T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That's the down side that it could feel cramped. It's nice to have a large bedroom and it feels roomy but the wardrobe just doesn't look finished where it is. I did consider an L shaped wardrobe, which would be ideal but the problem is that they don't have a finished back, just a MDF board. I haven't found any with a finished back. I've also considered other furniture like a book case but can't find anything that looks good.

You're right a buyer can just remove the wall, in fact it had a smaller built in wardrobe, which I removed but the comments I've got were that people viewing it might be put off that they walk into the room and see the wardrobe first and not the bedroom. Personally I would have thought having a half-walk in wardrobe would be more desirable but what do I know.

• rachelmidlands
    6 years ago
    You could always try a decorative screen or room divider first to see how it looks. It would give you the privacy you’re after but without being a permanent fixture.
    James T thanked rachelmidlands
  • James T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I have looked at room dividers online but there's not much choice, mostly folding screens, which aren't tall enough. If you know a good place for dividers I'd appreciate it.

• A B
    6 years ago

Agree with Rachel try it with something temporary and see. I personally don't like long thin rooms, and would prefer to have it divided in some way. Walking into the wardrobe area first wouldn't bother me

James T thanked A B
  • Bow Sward
    6 years ago
    You could have an MDF panel fitted to cover the back of the wardrobe then paint or paper or panel that so you can have the less drastic option of the L-shaped wardrobe. You could also consider the difference a mirror might make to the feeling of space and the light in both the wardrobe and bedroom areas.
    James T thanked Bow Sward
  • James T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I looked into a MDF panel, not fitted to the back but attached to the side of the current wardrobe and was quoted over £250! Not sure how good it would look either but wouldn't be as permanent as a new wall.

A mirror is a good idea but where would you place it?

• A B
    6 years ago

I wonder if you could clad the back of the wardrobe with plywood to give a simple modern finish?

James T thanked A B
  • James T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Nice idea, so would that mean painting the plywood white and gluing it to the wardrobe?

• Bow Sward
    6 years ago
    Ref the mirror, on the wall (or L shape wardrobe front) directly opposite the door so you see it as you enter the walk in wardrobe section of the room.
    James T thanked Bow Sward
  • A B
    6 years ago

Don't paint it just leave it as a feature. This sort of effect

James T thanked A B
  • James T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I was thinking the same thing putting a mirror on the wall but didn't consider it would make the room feel bigger.

• James T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@Jen P Looks nice, I'll look into it. Thanks

• Tall Blk
    6 years ago
    Have you thought of building a stub wall about 1200mm high, turn the bed 90 degrees with the headboard against the wall and the bed looking towards the window. That way room won’t feel cramped as you can see out of the windows as soon as you enter the room wardrobes are then placed as per your plan.
    James T thanked Tall Blk
  • James T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Nice idea but because the room is so narrow, it barely fits a bed and bedside tables. Have tried that way round but with the bed facing into the room and I hated it.

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

James, if you can find an L-shaped wardrobe that you like, you can put 'Furniture panels' on the end that is being used as a temporary wall. They come in many shapes, sizes and finishes. Alternatively, you could also use a large sheet of mdf which is available in 2.4m lengths, plenty high enough to go up to most ceilings, Then you can paint it in your wall colour if you wish. You could also, add a piece of skirting to the bottom of it, so that it does in fact, look like a wall.

James T thanked User
  • James T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sounds a good idea, I assume it would be a case of gluing the panel/MDF onto the wardrobe?

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Screw it on from inside the wardrobe, just make sure the screws aren't too long and can't break through. The panels are quite heavy, and they wouldn't be secure enough with just glue, I wouldn't have thought.

James T thanked User
  • PRO
    Opus Bathrooms
    6 years ago

I understand the concern people have, you have to practically walk through the wardrobe to get to the bedroom in a sense. Maybe create some fluidity in it, rather than it being visibly seen as a walk in wardrobe layout, you could possibly tone it down with other effects such as a mirror, stool so it feels like a working area with your bed right next to it.

To get that effect you could make the wardrobe blend in to the wall with a white cover, so only in a sense you know its there, before anybody else does.

If you look at real functional environments, you get some crazy set ups, maybe your wardrobe is the wall? Maybe you pull the wardrobe out of the wall? Maybe there is no wardrobe and the clothing makes the wall? Or you push the wall and your wardrobe spins and flips out with all your clothes, and the wall is just a panel access?

James T thanked Opus Bathrooms
  • James T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Interesting ideas. The room is white with a dark grey floor and the wardrobe I have is dark brown and I don't mind replacing it. It doesn't have doors, which I quite like but I'm limited on storage and I'd like a wardrobe with doors I can use to put junk in like empty boxes, ironing board etc.

I have considered a white wardrobe that matches the height of the room. I got a quote from Sharps about a fitted wardrobe but it's very pricey! I can't go too fancy with the wall as I'm in a flat and the wall backs onto the next flat.

Do you think changing the wardrobe to white with doors and adding other pieces like a lamp, chest of drawers, a chair would offset the wall between the wardrobe and the bed?

• Emily
    6 years ago
    Maybe put wardrobes back to back? 180cm of wardrobes facing the ensuite and the same facing the bed and window end? If you left 80cm between wardrobes and ensuite and the double sided wardrobes take up 120 you’d be left with over 4 m for the bedroom end.
    James T thanked Emily
  • Chopchop Cherry
    6 years ago

Hi James, I love your idea and photo of the look you want. Perhaps put a big statement mirror on the new divider wall, it wouldn't bother me walking past the wardrobes to the bedroom, it's a great use of space! Go for it!

James T thanked Chopchop Cherry
  • James T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@Chopchop Thanks! I was thinking mirror on the divider wall too.

@Emily Nice idea, thanks! Only thing I'm worried about with that is that it might be a little dark as the wardrobes would block a lot of the light from the window.

I mocked it up in two configurations. Having the wardrobes on the right would block a lot of light but create a nice little area between the bedroom and en-suite. Having the wardrobes on the left wouldn't block so much light and feel like a continuation of the hall way. Leaning towards the first option. What do you think?

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Sharps are expensive! - Try the Ikea Pax system, infinitely amendable, then go with your white furniture panels on the back of the L shape. A carpenter or decent handyman could erect if for sure. p.s Handymen are cheaper than carpenters, but i'm not looking for work! However, I like many put up a lot of pax and flat pack.

James T thanked User
  • James T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The wardrobe I have now is PAX but in dark brown but replacing it with a white PAX would cost a fraction of Sharps. Good idea about the Handyman. Thanks

• Emily
    6 years ago
    That’s what I was thinking James and I suppose either works but I would have left the walking gap on the side of the bedroom door. If you just put wardrobes back to back you could just leave the gap above which would let some light over the top. And like Math said, sharps are expensive and boring. I’ve just put Ikea pax in my new main bedroom with black glazed doors and glazed drawers within.
    And actually I split that room when I renovated. It was 3.4m by 8 and kitted out completely with sharp wardrobes from the eighties I think. But I split it into two bedroom because I wanted garden views and west sun.
    James T thanked Emily
  • Emily
    6 years ago
    The point of me saying that is everyone said don’t do it but I’ve got two lovely rooms with plenty of light albeit smaller. So do what you want! And actually if you go with back to back wardrobes you don’t need to do anything permanent at all.
    James T thanked Emily
  • James T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Emily. Having them back to back could be good option!

• Emily
    6 years ago
    You could keep the dark brown and go with the black glass undredal pax glass panel doors. The glass is slightly smoked so you can see clothes but slightly masked. I mean they are not the same as the designer black clothes storage you pictured but I think they’re pretty good.
    James T thanked Emily
  • James T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'll check those out but I would have to replace the frames as I bought 4 75cm frames. Can only get doors for 50/100cm frames. Or I could go with sliding doors but I think they can look a bit naff.

• Emily
    6 years ago
    I forgot the widths of Ikea wardrobes sorry. But actually the mirror doors are quite nice and they do a 25 cm one to go on the 75cm frames.
    Depends on how much you want to spend?
    James T thanked Emily
  • PRO
    User
    6 years ago

There's nothing wrong with the back to back wardrobes.............however, the L-shaped is in my little humble opinion much more professional looking. It creates a stand alone dressing area. With the back to back, you have wardrobe space both in the bedroom area, where you could have placed another item of furntiure ie Chest of drawers etc and the other side.

I think if you can do it, then please do stick to the L-shape and create a proper dressing area and separate bedroom. It will be worth the end result.

I liked the idea of having the wardrobes not going to the ceiling to let the light flow over, that works. However, I don't think you need worry about having ceiling height units, the bright white Led's that you get these days are like daylight.

James T thanked User
  • James T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm looking to spend under 1-2k if possible. They quoted me over 3k for the Sharps wardrobe!

Good point about the L-shape wardrobe, thanks. I'm not sure which way to go yet. What did you use to create those 3D images?

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

I use floorplanner! Here it is with your two wardrobes back to back.

I'd say if a customer came to me to build the L-shaped wardrobe I'd say it was more than do'able for 2k. The last set of wardrobes that I made a frame for from scratch and then decked out with doors was only £1200. Therefore, another £800 to make it l-shaped and stick furniture panels on the back, definitely.

I say, approach some handymen, show them your designs, tell them your budgt is £1500-£1600 and see what they say!

James T thanked User
  • Gavin McFarland
    6 years ago
    Would you consider some type of modular furniture? I think the room could look nice with a new wardrobe which you create yourself. You could check out PlayWood. You buy a set of angled brackets which hold sheets of material together, like plywood. You could create an awesome wardrobe in an L shape by getting B n Q to cut sheets of plywood into the shapes you need and design your own wardrobe, if you wanted you could let light through by leaving a back off. Because the pieces would be modular you could take it with you when you leave or if you change your mind you could lay it out a different way.

The downsides I think would be:

You might not like the way it looks
    It requires some planning
    Putting doors on might be a challenge
    Costs could add up the more complex your design

But otherwise you could benefit from being able to reuse the material for your future plans. I have some at home and I'm looking forward to creating my own system for my furniture where pieces can be interchanged to create new furniture.

Good luck, there are already lots of great ideas here. I'm sure it will look great when you are done.
    James T thanked Gavin McFarland
  • bfrobson
    6 years ago

Having read through all the comments here I have to say that I agree wholeheartedly with the idea of an L shaped layout. To my mind this has a lot more potential than the back to back suggestion. As for any negative comments about people being put off by walking into the dressing area first, it is just a question of giving the dressing area the 'wow' factor. This means [for me] everything presented beautifully - no clothing on view, carefully selected artwork (and mirror/s?) and, crucially, superb lighting. You might incorporate a dressing table or some shelving to display one or two key objects - but resist the temptation to clutter. Gloss finish looks wonderful, but you must be prepared to maintain it - frequent removal of fingerprints with a microfibre cloth. Same applies to mirrored doors. I once had a wall of mirrored wardrobes in my elder son's room. He was four when we moved in and I kept them until he was at university. They were hard work!

Personally, I like the idea that you cannot see people in bed when you open the bedroom door.

James T thanked bfrobson
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    6 years ago

I am an open space lover! All I would do...get window shades/blinds for privacy. It is not expensive and let you save money. You would have nice big open bedroom space instead of claustrophobic two ones.

James T thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • Emily
    6 years ago
    If you placed wardrobes as one plan has shown you wouldn’t necessarily need the sliding doors because if you had the wardrobe doors open on both sides near the bed they would practically meet. So, you could try that out without making anything permanent. :)
    James T thanked Emily
  • Victoria
    6 years ago

Ikea Pax is great. We raised ours up on a frame so it has skirting around the bottom and reaches the ceiling. We also used a combination of white frames and oak effect fittings.

James T thanked Victoria
  • Emily
    6 years ago
    Sorry James I added up the widths wrong! On last post.
    But anyway, I’d move your existing wardrobes around the room if I were you to see how the different placements would feel. Try before you buy sort of thing!
    James T thanked Emily
  • A S
    6 years ago
    Although, I like the L-shaped idea as it sections the dressing area nicely, but it does block off light, the plan proposed by oneplan is very clever, Love it!
    James T thanked A S
  • Emily
    6 years ago
    I just thought what about just wardrobes along wall where you have now. Plus a lower storage unit (Ikea chest of drawers, or something vintage) that you place in front of wardrobes. You have room for approx 70 cm walk way between lower storage and wardrobes and then 90cm to walk in front of lower storage. But then for the privacy aspect use ikeas discrete ceiling curtain rail with see through fabric. Means light will still come through. And means when you get dressed you don’t have to go all way to windows. Also gives a romantic secluded aspect to bed area. And on lower storage you can have some objects.whether just decorative or a favourite shoes or briefcase
    James T thanked Emily
  • Emily
    6 years ago
    Sorry for so many ideas but I think you can achieve something aesthetically pleasing as well as functional without having to do permanent stuff. Means you don’t have to get work men in too which is a pain and costs. Even the ceiling track should be doable if it doesn’t have heavy curtain on.
    James T thanked Emily
  • bfrobson
    6 years ago

Just another thought regarding a 'back' on wardrobes arranged in an L shape. What would you think of having narrow bookshelves/shelving facing towards the bed? This would be less bulky than putting the wardrobes back to back and would solve the issue of how to finish MDF or plywood fixed to the back. I notice that Man About The House has shown a chest of drawers in this position. I like his idea but if you don't need the extra clothes storage, then a bookcase or shelving would occupy less floorspace and give you more room around the bed. Or maybe a combination of the two, drawer unit with shelves above?

James T thanked bfrobson
  • James T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for all the ideas! Just to clarify I have blinds on the window but even with the blinds turned I feel like I'm not getting much privacy, hence the idea of having a wall or something else. Just like to have privacy without having to close the blinds. I also currently have a chest of draws opposite the wardrobe, just a cheap one from IKEA which gives me extra storage but I'm not crazy about it.

After mocking up the back to back in 3D in floorplanner I think it's not the best option as it would reduce the amount of floor space and block a lot of light compared to having a long run against the wall.

I like OnePlan's idea, I actually thought about that before but went off it as it wold feel more like walking into a wardrobe instead of a bedroom, plus I couldn't find any sliding doors that looked good from both sides and in budget. While I like the idea of wardrobes either side, I would only have about 1-1.5 meters on the left side, which might look a bit odd. I did try it with my current wardrobes and it made the room very dark but if I used white wardrobes it might look better.

As you can tell I've been thinking about this for a while and I've gone through a lot of ideas. My main concern was with people's reaction to dividing the room and walking into the wardrobe first but I'm encouraged with the comments on here about that. The other concern is budget. I don't want to spend a crazy amount on it but I do want it finished nice.

Thanks for all the ideas and comments :)

• A B
    6 years ago

Please show us the 'after' when you've decided!

James T thanked A B
  • James T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Might be a while, got two bathrooms to renovate first, plus I'm really fussy!

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.