hattiecooper

Your dream home

hattiecooper
6 years ago

What rooms would your dream home have? What rooms would be useful for family living? What about a space where you could have some 'grown up' time? Be creative and let your imagination go wild!

Comments (4)

• Jonathan
    6 years ago
    My dream home would have an impressive entrance with a modest room nearby for coats, shoes, prams etc.
    I would want a small but grand living room for entertaining guests, with two sofas facing each other and a fireplace, this room would be near a wet bar and wine room.
    I would have a dining room with a large circular table for 8 and a butlers pantry next to it.
    The kitchen would be big and sociable and access the garden and include casual dining and room for everyone to watch TV comfortably. I would have two small rooms off the kitchen:- One would be a pantry with a freezer and an overflow fridge for parties. The other would be an appliance room and a slow cooker, stand mixer, bread maker etc could all be at hand but hidden from main view.
    There would be a side access to the house from the parking area and garage. The garage should be big enough to be able to park and get out comfortably. My preferred choice would be to not see the cars or garage doors from the front but equally I don’t like driveways that surround houses like a moat cutting them off from the garden.
    Near the house I would like a covered area so that outside furniture is protected from the elements and I would want features that make the outside space useable of an evening such as lighting, an outdoor fireplace and heaters.
    Upstairs it is important to me to have a hotel quality bedroom, lots of storage and although I like an ensuite it is important to me to not have the WC too close to my pillow or tooth brush. I think it is nice to have an upstairs area with a TV. An upstairs laundry room is practical and I think it is lovely to give guests their own bathroom.
    For me slight higher ceilings and tall windows lend grandeur to even very modern houses. I prefer visually interesting houses which can be achieved with symmetry, asymmetry, expensive materials or interesting features such as the roofline or windows.
    My perfect house would sit behind an electric gate.
    Please build all of this for me...
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    6 years ago
    My dream home has a big hall, beautiful winding stairs and galleried landing area, a lovely big double height lounge and an easy to work in family kitchen with a table big enough for the whole family, it has a garden room with views out to the garden, a gym, enough bedrooms and bathrooms for the whole family to have one each, even if they’ve left home ! It has an office with a big leather sofa, desks and drawing boards... and outside it has sunken seating area with a fire pit in the garden and an outside cinema and a giant sized outdoor table and a brick and flint built summer house /outdoor kitchen ... the sun warms the garden and the trees keep it secluded and quiet .... stables are within walking distance and cows walk past for milking on occasion !
    Oh - hang on - no that’s where I live - my dream home is a small, easy to tidy house somewhere sunny with my own beach at the bottom of the garden ! Room for lots of books and no phone or WiFi ! Bliss !
  • A B
    6 years ago
    My (totally impractical) dream would be to buy a huge run down house at a bargain price as per Sarah Beeny and Rise Hall, then dedicate my life to lovingly restoring it (although without having to host weddings to pay for it and without run ins with the conservation officer!). It would be warm and dry, easy to keep clean and little maintenance required!! There would be secret doors, a library, a pantry and an orchard. The kitchen would be the heart of the home, with broken plan dining and living areas all overlooking the garden. Connected enough but with kitchen mess hidden!! There would be a large utility room with stable doors to the garden, 3 sinks and top loading washing machines. There would also be amazing views from all the windows. Not too much to ask...?
  • Emily
    6 years ago
    Well I think I’d like one of my kids to have Jens house (must have priest hole with secret passage!) and then within their large estate I’ll build a beautiful but appropriate lodge overlooking the lake!
    Oh, I also think they would let me decorate their property and oversee gardens so I have all the creative fun and they have the responsibilities!
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.