dusk_dusk

Bedding Pillow - Complete Buyer's Guide for Getting a Good Night's Sle

James Clomen
6 years ago

There are many remedies available to help you get a good night’s sleep. From lavender oil and lullabies to mediation and mindfulness. But when it comes to the crunch, the right sleeping equipment is essential.

Luxury pillows are not only high-end quality but they also give you the comfort necessary for a sound night’s sleep.

There’s a large variety to choose from. So, if you don’t know duck feather pillows from goose down pillows or you think that luxury pillows are reserved for 5 Star hotels, our guide will help you.

Do I need a new pillow?

If you think your pillow needs replacing, chances are it does. Although there are some exceptions, the ideal lifespan for any bedding pillow is approximately two – four years.

Most people overlook the condition of their pillow, so if you are unsure how worn yours is, firstly check it for stains caused by sweat. If there’s more than a few, your pillow needs to go. As well as stains, check for bad odors too - unclean pillows can increase the chance of allergic reactions.

It’s also worth doing the ‘bend test’ on your pillow; bend it in half and if it doesn’t jump back into shape, you need a new one!

Which pillow filling is best for me?

It’s easy to feel overwhelmed with the choice of pillow fills available. Duck and goose feather down pillows are widely considered luxury pillows but what is the difference?

There can be a bit of confusion when it comes to feather and down pillows, both of which are made from either duck or goose plumage.

Goose down pillows are made from the plumage underneath the goose’s feathers. This plumage is designed to insulate and is very soft. Goose feather pillows are made from the outer plumage of the goose (its feathers) which are stronger and more resilient, designed to keep it dry.

Duck feather and down pillows are similar in this sense: duck down pillows are made from the under plumage and the duck feather pillows are made from the outer plumage.

Also available are feather and down blend pillows which are a mix of both down and feathers, all offering different levels of weight and softness according to the combination.

The key difference between duck and goose feathers is that because geese are larger birds, they have bigger down clusters which provide more insulation. However, the main measurement of quality in a feather or down pillow is the density of the fill.

What is pillow fill?

‘Pillow fill’ or ‘fill power’ are terms used to describe the amount of fill inside a pillow. As a general rule, the higher the fill power, the higher the quality of pillow and the more likely it is to retain its original firmness.

It’s worth noting that fill power does not correlate to the level of firmness of luxury pillows, it more conveys its long-lasting quality. For example, a pillow with 850 fill is not necessarily firmer than one with a 650 fill but it is likely to last longer.

If you would like more help finding your perfect luxury pillows please have a look at our collection.

Comment

United Kingdom
    Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.