webuser_71660

En-Suite sizing/layout help

Tani H-S
5 years ago
Due to large costs for our renovation works, I’m trying to cut down on the master room upstairs. So far it’s going to cost £20k to have new roof tiles, insulation and replastering plus a large dormer window for an ensure bathroom. It would be a good size but larger than the downstairs bathroom servicing two bedrooms.

So as we don’t have head height issue in the current space (see photos of existing room) I thought we could put a roof light in instead and have a 800x800 shower where that grey cupboard is (or offset so 800 wide but longer to the right side??) then a wc and sink.

What do you guys think?? Will it be super cramped for an en-suite??

Comments (78)

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Looks amazing! Just wish our high wall was on the other side
    I guess I can ultimately live with a 600 wide unit and see if they can build in a recessed shelf instead across the back of the bathroom like yours food for though for sure!
  • tezz4
    5 years ago

What’s happening on the opposite ‘wall’? Could you fit something like this? Some kind of suspended mirror is what l mean.

• Related Discussions

Help with small en suite bathroom layout

Q

Comments (63)
    We have been playing around with this today and this is the layout we think we will go with. Due to solid floors and walls if we move the loo we need significant boxing in. My app has limited selections of items but we will have sanitary ware in these locations, we think!
    ...See More

Master bedroom layouts - open plan dressing room/en-suite

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi quick sketch attached which hopefully will get you thinking on non standard options to avail of the triple aspect and views. The bed is centred on the West facing window, so even though there isn't symmetry in the rest of the room, balance is created, focused on the bed. I've shown a freestanding headboard behind the bed - something along these lines....there are design options available which means no need for a bedside locker to the side. I've stolen a small amount of space from the adjacent bedroom (sorry kids!) & pushed the entrance door back into the hall slightly. There is no door to ensuite, but the curved wall which becomes part of the shower creates an entrance & cuts of what you don't want to see (the wc) but allows light in, views out to and from the North. This curve also creates a natural line to change floor covering - say from carpet to tile. Theres approx 5m of wardrobe tucked under the eaves with curved ends (if budget will allow!) and also His & Hers drawer sets either side of entrance door.
    ...See More

Luxurious en-suite bathroom OR Walk in wardrobe and small en-suite.

Q

Comments (7)
    It really comes down to how many clothes you have and how much space you need to store them, along with where you prefer to get dressed and how you use your ensuite - obviously no point having double sink if you never share the bathroom, but if you're brushing your teeth while the other half is doing their thing in the next sink then this bigger ensuite might work better for you. It all depends on how you want to live, how much stuff you have and where you want to store it. I've created a checklist that helps with a lot of the foundational decision making that you need to make when you're planning a redesign project, so you might find this useful. You can get it plus a few guidance emails here: https://bit.ly/2P1quQ6 Hope this helps, Jane, i-architect.co.uk
    ...See More

Bedroom Layout with en-suite

Q

Comments (6)
    Hi - thanks. We’ve considered that but Bedroom 1 and the bathroom next to it are on a half landing level and there are about 8 stairs to climb to get from the drop of Bedroom 1 to Bedroom 2. So any join of these rooms would have to have another staircase added between rooms. Thank you for replying.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    5 years ago
    If you start your shower doors after the shelving in the corner will standard doors not be ok ? - this really needs to be drawn up to scale with the ceiling wedge and velux in etc . At the moment you are trying to fix a 3D puzzle in sketch form - it needs to be tackled it in 3D !
  • tezz4
    5 years ago

Mirror options
    shelving and short shower door or slant cut but a good glazier.

• tezz4
    5 years ago

I meant by a good glazier!!!

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @tezz - oh yes - the suspended mirrors I did mention to my husband. I can show him the pics now they could work if we make the width of the room smaller.

@OnePlan - I’ve tried a standard 3D program but the free bathroom ones online are quite hard to work in angles etc as i don’t know how to use the technical programs.

I’m working on our bathroom downstairs for size (minus the slope) as it will be pretty much the same except for the chimney breast in the way.

Worse thing is I decided on a slate tone tray so it would blend in with my dark floor, and there doesn’t seem to exist an 800x900 size not impressed.
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ha ha, I knew what you meant
    I could cut it myself as have the tools (use to be a glazier) but it would need toughening anyway. I do know a place that can do one for me if I get stuck although there are ones online I’ve seen that go up to 1750 high which would work. Just need to find the frameless bi folds that size now so they look sleeker. Or a pivot door
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks guys, really appreciate all your help. I've decided to push the left sloping wall back by 100mm (as Jonathan had originally suggested) and put the WC (giving a 600mm width as the min requirement for a WC) there on the chimney wall. I reckon the chimney wall (which is around 300mm deep) will be panelled out to 500mm to allow the soil pipe and waste to be hidden then.

So I could technically have a 1m deep shower tray in there as the WC will come in line with that and that also gives me options for more door types ie pivot as nothing in the way!

It should give a nice square space in the centre of the room then for dressing. Will do a quick sketch and post up next in case anyone can see any obvious disasters, ha ha.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Towel rad can always go on the empty wall space then between the WC and sink.
  • tezz4
    5 years ago

Looks perfect!

• Sonia
    5 years ago

Looking good!

• PRO
    OnePlan
    5 years ago
    Have you got 2m head clearance In front of the loo ?
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @One Plan - in front of the loo? You can stand up in that alcove and not hit your head . It will be next to the grey box on the photo of the room (to the left of it) if that helps, facing into the room.
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Oh do you mean when you stand up sorry . It’s around 1800 -

To be honest, it was going to go on the short wall when the plumber suggested it so I presumed it would be ok at that height
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ha @ Minnie! Amazing!! I spent hours looking for one the other day and could only find a plain black one thanks!!
  • Karen
    5 years ago
    The bathroom design is looking good! Clever use of space. If you need a slate tray in the new suggested size, this might work:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/142664794549
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sorry, Minnie. The 1800 is if you stand to the far left ie where it slopes. So if I put a WC there, there will be 1800 head height above and in front of me at all times. The plumber/builder didn't seem to think it was an issue for a loft room as they could both stand under it without ducking as well so I'm hoping it will be ok (been fretting thinking it's too short?? @OnePlan)

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So the other thing I am worrying about is the plumber said 60cm is sufficient to have for the WC (overall side space) but looking online, it seems the code minimum recommended is 30" (ie 73 ish cm) ?!?!? So I'm not sure if that will now work (arghhhhhhh). Seemed enough space for me but ...

• PRO
    Glazing Vision
    5 years ago

Sorry to jump in late Tani, the project looks really interesting and i've noticed you've been looking into installing a roof window to really bring light into the room. We've recently wrote a guide about roof windows and rooflights, and wondered if it may give you some help about which type of product is best to choose for what you're trying to achieve. I've put the link below, it might help you to better visualise and understand the options available to you. I've also included an image of something which will really help bring through the light into your bathroom.

Guide to Rooflights & Roof Windows

• tezz4
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I just measured a small cubicle with a 40cm wc just for comparison. You are alright with 60cm width. This one has very tight knee wiggle room and is comfy, so your one with no obstruction in front, will be great!

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Aw bless you, thank you. Phew.
    Everytime I think I’ve sorted the design out, I come across an issue
  • tezz4
    5 years ago

You seem sorted! Hope it turns out beautiful - please post pics when ready, l’m looking forward!

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yes thank you.
    The builder will help lay it out all when they start so I know exactly what I need to order etc.

Just got the colour scheme to think of next (will post that question on another thread )
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Just updating as had the plumber over again to double check it all. He says the only way is to put the sink on the right side now and the toilet at the back next to the shower.

As the entry door is on an angle - it means you walk into the middle of the room as opposed to going straight to the shower, so the sink (which would need to be a slim line one) wouldn't get in the way.

Just opens up a whole new load of issues as now part of the shower entry will be blocked and I'm trying to see where I could get a corner entry shower from as with the reduced height and awkward door, it's all going to have to be bespoke?? Had enough now and fed up with it all already, LOL.

Who on earth can help sort out the right shower and advise on what is best? ie because the shower is only 800mm wide and we planned 1000mm deep, it means half a glass pane to the left (because the left side of the alcove is half brick from the chimney) and then if we put a 400mm panel to the right side of the entrance to block the sink, it only leaves 400 space (or less) access into the shower tray.

Is it possible to have it just open on the corner and not worry about the wc getting wet?? It will have a deep 150mm plus shower tray step into it. Plumber suggested having it just open like a wet room but with a step in but not sure...

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

done a quick image of it BUT please bear in mind that the roof starts sloping to the left dramatically from the left side of the shower. So the only full wall is the right of the shower where the sink now has to go....

You can see the corner and access issue I have with the shower.

• Victoria
    5 years ago

Did the plumber say why the sink had to go there?

• maya
    5 years ago
    I’d put the toilet where the shower is; the sink where the toilet is; then you have a lot of space for the shower on the bottom wall. I’d definitively would want the shower enclosed, not open. Apologies if it sound crazy, but I didn’t read the whole thread.
  • tezz4
    5 years ago

You probably have enough depth for the open shower concept leaving the corner open but l would include a narrow glass panel to extend the full wall and a two thirds one between the shower and the sink. If so the sink can get as close as possible to the shower glass section - It can be a round column one to avoid bumping into its corners, with the mixer set at an angle for comfort. The corner opposite the loo can take a large mirror and some storage.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @maya that won’t work unfortunately as it’s a very sloped ceiling to the right side so the entry door has to be on the right so the shower won’t fit on the right wall.

Has to stay with the layout I’ve just posted up last ie the image as that’s what the plumber confirmed is the best way. Just sorting out the shower door issue now
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @tezz4 - if we put the sink on the right side then that’s a full wall so we can have a proper mirror and shelving there
    Agree a rounded edge one works best either way.

Shower - if I have a single glass narrow panel on the left (by the wc) to come to the edge of the shower then that only leave the 800 width to get into it and so I have to either have a very narrow fixed panel on the right (next to the sink) say 300mm ? To leave 500mm entry into the shower? Is that enough space to get in and out easily?

Because of the short height I might struggle to find frameless bi-fold doors that fold in which would work perfectly in the space and not feel too enclosed.

Just need someone who can make these based in the North West.
  • Victoria
    5 years ago

Is it the “best” way for the plumber (ie. easiest) or for you?

Any glass merchant should be able to create the bespoke screening for you.

• tezz4
    5 years ago

I found some pics and thought of you.

And 500mm should be more than enough entry space.

• Carolina
    5 years ago
    Hi, I’ve had a glass of wine and am really tired, so ignore me if I make no sense, but here goes: have you considered a corner toilet? I am sure there are wall hung ones available (there are in the Netherlands where I am, I have two), but there are floor standing ones too. This will perhaps give more head height and space. I would also consider having the sink under the sloping ceiling and just put a mirror with narrow shelf/storage under it on the full height wall, either next to the door or where you have the sink planned now.

Does that make sense?
  • Carolina
    5 years ago
    Found a pic that sort of illustrates what I mean
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Morning Carolina!
    Hope you don’t have too much of a sore head today

We are pushing back under the eaves as far as it will go but the plumber came back and confirmed the best places for everything.
    So the wc will go next to the shower (bit taller there) and the rooflight will be above it to give another 3-4” of head height.

The sink can now go on the right side which is a full height wall - it just needs to be slimmer and not too wide!

We managed to move the entry door in the middle more by cutting the edge of it and getting a narrow one. Shouldn’t look too odd as it’s only a small wall.

Just trying to sort out the shower door issue now but I will take my time with it as still got a working shower downstairs for a good while yet.
  • Carolina
    5 years ago
    I’m fine :-)

I still don’t quite understand why the sink can’t go on the outside wall, apart from not being able to have a mirror over it. It would solve your shower door problem and you could possibly have a larger sink, but hey ho... as long as you are happy with it.
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The outside wall will be short for it now as it will only be 1m high They are moving it back more to lower the window so the wc has more head height
  • Carolina
    5 years ago

Okay, so I just tried out if what I meant could work, and this is what I came up with. I wanted to show you, just to give you something to think about perhaps. Not sure how to fill the space between shower and toilet, but there we are :-)

Anyway, I did it just for me, to check if I wasn't crazy ;-)

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you.

Well as they widened the side, the wc will have about 800mm or more space and the door is now more central so when you walk into the room, the sink on the right won’t be in the way.

The shower will probably have inward bifolds so we can put the sink quite near it and it won’t get wet.

Like this- (can’t really draw the slope on the pic to show it properly)

If we put the sink on the left now as on your drawing, you would have to sit down to use it as the wall is too low.
  • Carolina
    5 years ago
    Okay :-)
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Just thought I would update my post as the en suite is *almost finished. Only take 6 months (rolls eyes) and still a bit of cladding above the WC to finish and on the sink unit (same walnut cladding on the front) and of course I have to have a shower screen designed as it won’t take a standard shower door. Such fun.

Will take some other angle pics over the weekend once it’s all tidied up and cleaned.

Just struggling now with storage!! Only got a shallow space under the sink (25cm deep- 26cm at most) to put some drawers but I can’t find any.

Got space on the wc side for a little bench seat with storage under so trying to work out the best colour/style that’s not too twee.
  • Sonia
    5 years ago

Well done you! It was never an easy project and it already looks amazing.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Couple more interim photos

Will be asking for storage ideas! lol
  • Carolina
    5 years ago

Lovely tiles.

• chloeloves
    5 years ago
    Hi Tani. I’ve been following your design dilemmas with interest. I have this narrow drawer unit which is due for a dark makeover and it is incredible what you can fit into it. Alternatively tall glass medicine cabinet would look good but of course everything in it would have to be lovely which is unlikely in a bathroom.
  • chloeloves
    5 years ago
    Those tiles worked out beautiful in the end didn’t they!
  • tezz4
    5 years ago

So nice to see that you’ve sorted it all out so successfully!

Could you use the door and the space above it for storage - to avoid cluttering up the floor area.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The door is hollow so won’t hold much to be honest but I have space to the left of the sink for a towel holder and towels etc. It’s more products I guess that I need to hide away. Ha ha.

The ceiling is short as well so not much space above the door either but I will have another look over the weekend.

Yes the tiles were a challenge to find but I managed to get some in from Italy via a supplier and I love them!
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.