xjoey321

Help Rejuvinate an Injured, Tired Tree :-)

xjoey321
5 years ago

Hi, appreciate any help, please

We have had builders at ours and they have been less than careful with a tree we really like

1) They have scarred the bark. I can see some sap. Should we just leave it to heal?

2) Without asking they chopped some branches off. Bit annoyed as wanted them, no matter what. Again , just leave to heal? Will they resprout in some form?

3) To be fair, the tree was looking a little tired before they arrived. The core and base seem a bit tired and brown versus the green crown. Is there a way I can rejuvinate it somehow?

Many thanks for any help, in advance :-)

(Having a little trouble posting photos but I'll try. If not, any advice still welcome, thanks)

Comments (5)

• Jonathan
    5 years ago
    The picture makes the tree look dangerously close to the house. If it were me (assuming it’s not covered by a TPO or conservation area protection) I would get a tree surgeon/ arboriculturalist to reduce the height of the crown and inspect the wounds left by the builders and assess the balance of the structure (having indiscriminately removed branches one side of the tree might now be heavier than the other leading to instability)
    xjoey321 thanked Jonathan
  • rachelmidlands
    5 years ago
    Hard to tell what type of tree it is. Is it an evergreen? I wouldn’t worry too much about the wounds. The fact that it’s producing sap means that it’s already healing itself. For the brown/dying bits tho I’m not so sure. If it’s evergreen then chances are the leaves will not come back and the tree will weaken the branch till it gets blown off in the wind which could be a danger. I would take Jonathan’s advice and get a tree surgeon/ aboricultralist to inspect it.
    xjoey321 thanked rachelmidlands
  • mayfly182
    5 years ago

The tree is obvioulsy a conifer. I can't identify the species from those photos.

- The cuts in the bark are not a problem. The tree will heal itself without any treatment.

- Most conifers will not ever regrow if cut back. If you do want a crown reduction make sure you know exactly what species you're dealing with or you could easily kill the tree.

- It doesn't look to me like the tree is dangerously near the house unless you're on a specific type of clay soil that shrinks or swells according to how much water the soil holds. This is not that common. If you want to check then www.subsidencesupport.co.uk has a map of where these soils are.

- The dead bits are actually a normal part of growth for coniferous trees. Your tree started out looking like a bush and all the bare trunk you see is a result of the tree killing off the lower branches which aren't getting enough sunlight any more and so aren't worth the tree saving. The nutrients and water are withdrawn from those needles and the needles turn brown, and will fall off soon. You can send someone up to snip off the dead branches if you think it looks unattractive or just leave them to fall off by themselves. They should not be big enough to be a danger - if your tree is losing big branches then there really is something wrong but from the photo it only looks like thin ones.

Your tree looks normal and healthy to me. You might want a couple more branches off if it now looks lopsided, or the dead ones removed, but that's all.

xjoey321 thanked mayfly182
  • xjoey321
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Excellent, thanks everyone for your replies. Really helped as I was worried about the state of it. Jonathan, the picture is deceptive, that building is actually some way in the distance ... there is a shed nearby, but not an actual house.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.