ollienashchap

DIY alcove units - scribing gaps

Ollie Chapman
5 years ago

Hi all,

I need some help with some alcove units that I am building for my living room either side of a chimney breast. The left unit will host our TV and the right will host a vinyl collection and player.

I have fitted the units as flush as possible to the wall but due to wonky walls there are still gaps between the bookshelf and wall, on the back and side (see photos).

I don't want to put a back panel on the bookshelf because we would really like the wall to be seen through the shelves. Any ideas on how i can fill/scribe the gaps?

Thanks in advance!

Comment (1)

• illumin8or
    5 years ago
    Hi Ollie,

Those units are looking great. Might give them a go in my living room! I had the same problem when building in cupboards under a previously open staircase. The hallway wall was slightly out so there was a gap between this and the first wood panel. In the end I went to B&Q and got some pine beading. It’s very slim-line, easy to cut/paint and came in quite a large number of different designs (far more than they show on their website). If you butted these up in the corners between the wall and units, you probably would never even really notice, and they may add a little feature depending on which one you go for. Here’s an example of what I mean

https://www.diy.com/departments/building-supplies/timber-sheet-materials/decorative-timber/bead-mouldings/DIY570353.cat
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.