laurashine

Garden design/planting help

laurashine
5 years ago
I'm re-designing my front garden and would be very grateful for any input as I'm feeling a bit lost with it. It's a mid-terrace late Victorian with bay window in London. I'd like something relatively straightforward to care for (my first garden!) and traditional in style.

Attached sketch of what I'm thinking, with the 3 planted areas highlighted. (Pale grey shaded area will be traditional small tumbled pavers).

Area A - this is my main question. It's 3.7m x 2.2m. I think it's too big to just have all soil? Gravel and beds? I'm also stuck for what to plant in there to make it look neat.

Area B - this will be an evergreen hedge of some sort. Front wall will only be about 70cm high. I don't want a tall hedge, maybe 1m - 1.5m. Someone suggested Escallonia. Looks nice but I'm a bit clueless - will this be easy to care for?

Area C - thin bed to left of path, about 45cm wide. Nice flowering plants was my idea but I guess this could also be a (very small) hedge.

Any ideas welcome!

Comments (10)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.