jennifer_cleator

Splish, splash...

Jen Star
5 years ago

Nearly 7 years ago, I fell in love with a wallpaper that I had to have for my future downstairs toilet/water closet which I bought then and there.

Fast forward to a couple of days ago, I have now finally just had it laid and whilst it looks just as good as I imagined, I am only now belatedly thinking about how to preserve it from water damage.

I have bought some decorators satin varnish, however think I would need to paint full height of walls given difference in sheen, the alternative being clear perspex sheet to mid-height (although worried the one corner which is rounded by paper as opposed to square edges).

Am looking for some advice from this community on how to best tackle it. I don't want to tile over it as it's gorgeous. Any solutions? Need to do something asap so can return to being functioning room ahead of Christmas.

Thanks in advance.

NB am probably painting back wall of cistern - this was going to papered too but ran out. I had thought about tiling there, but don't want to cause damage to paper.. maybe after its protected!

Comments (3)

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

I think i would have used Flat varnish - Decorators Varnish, Dead Flat ( click on this link to the product itselft ). It is designed to be used on Wallpaper to protect it and won't give a sheen, which in turn will not detract from the pattern.

• Jen Star
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks for suggestion Man About the house... would you paint the whole walls though? Have you used product? I should be able to return the satin version of the same product for dead flat. I was just worries about the whole wall.
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago

I would definitely paint the whole wall, and yes the wife used to use this for any decoupage items she was making.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.