whaas_5a

Western Illinois University - Container Tree Planting Study

whaas_5a
5 years ago

Apparently this university concluded that container planting in August is far superior to spring planting.

I'm assuming this is more applicable to the upper half of the US, perhaps specifically the midwest.

Over the last couple years I've transitioned to planting conifers in late summer exclusively (including b&b).

Last year was the first year I purposely waited till early August to plant a few trees. What I've noticed is the plants root very quickly. The roots are still active so broken roots still regenerate AND you beat the timing for fall root elongation of existing roots. Personally I don't plant container stock after mid September anymore. Maybe late September if the outlook looks good but at this point the roots have started to elongate and they are super fragile.

Interested in reading more about this study. Didn't dig deep but if anyone is aware of it please share. I may just contact the university to see if they can point me in the right direction.

Comments (7)

• Embothrium
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

It has been known for years that fall planting of cold hardy plants is preferable. Planting in August in Illinois amounts to fall planting because northern adapted trees and shrubs go into autumnal mode as soon as their winter stem buds have formed - it is the presence of these buds that causes existing roots to elongate markedly. So a kind affected by summer drought that has shut down shoot growth some time ago as a result might be found to have been undertaking fall root elongation for weeks even as early as July, when examined.

whaas_5a thanked Embothrium
  • hairmetal4ever
    5 years ago

I agree - as long as you have easy access to water (its still quite hot in this area at that time) its the best time.

whaas_5a thanked hairmetal4ever
  • whaas_5a
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Weird, someone or Houzz must have flagged this post as I posted on Saturday.

Anyhow....

Ron, I'm glad you posted those specifics as I don't think the general planting public knows that as most nurseries around here promote fall planting in September and October.

I see folks asking should I plant now or hold until fall....and they are asking the question late Summer. Typically the answer is hold until temps cool in late September or October.

Well thats at least four of us that have been doing it awhile agreeing with late summer as a great time to plant container stock for these zones!

• KennsWoods
    5 years ago

When I lived in CT I would routinely plant container stock and transplant HARDY evergreen and deciduous stuff in late summer/fall. I'd start in August transplanting conifers, leaf drop for deciduous, and late Aug/early Sept for containers. Always had good results. The 'problem' back then was the garden centers/nurseries/sellers didn't have all that much available, customers bought most stuff in spring.

whaas_5a thanked KennsWoods
  • PRO
    GreenTec Nursery
    5 years ago
    This is interesting - We've often found the same for transplanting tree seedlings. for most species, we've always transplanted them in early spring just as the buds are beginning to elongate - About 10 years ago we transplanted a sugar maple in full leaf at the beginning of August after the buds had matured. We were surprised at the results - The tree rooted in surprisingly well, growing normally the following growing season! It was an unusually hot, dry year, so the tree did get supplemental water.

Now, for container stock, we always recommend summer or fall planting. As long as the stock isn't potbound, it roots in remarkably well, holding up over the winter. We find that planting any later than the beginning of October can result in frost heave, especially here in the lower Midwest with our low snowfall and consistent freeze-thaw cycles. in the Spring, the cold, wet soil isn't very conducive to root growth, and winter damage on container stock isn't always apparent before the buds break.
    whaas_5a thanked GreenTec Nursery
  • Embothrium
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

If roots of potted stock are found to be deformed during fall planting operations fall root elongation and the resulting instant establishment will not be taken advantage of because these roots do need to be corrected for optimal results. And any cutting back of such roots that takes place will prevent them from lengthening until spring, when the response to the cutting back will occur.

Best timing for fall planting is on a case by case basis, governed entirely by when winter stem buds are set. If these have been in place for a while on a given specimen probably the window of opportunity has been missed, with root elongation already well underway. And perhaps even over.

New roots coming from cut root ends is also determined by the overwintering stem buds, with their opening resulting in production of hormones that give the go ahead to the roots.

This is stuff that cold climate adapted plants do, that have a winter dormant period. I don't know how root growth of tropicals is governed.

Sponsored
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.