tr_hayes

Stacked or offset / brick-bond / staggered 40cm x 80cm stone tiles?

Tom H
5 years ago

Hello,

I've seen a few of these discussions, but mostly for smaller tiles and so I would appreciate opinions on our case.

We are having our refurbished bathroom tiled this week and trying to decide on horizontal straight stacked or 1/2 off-set brick-bond pattern. The tiles are large (40 x 80cm) natural stone with a lot of interest in the pattern. I had been thinking straight stacked for the modern look, but the tiler has suggested that off-set might look better for stone. It will have a modern feel to the bathroom, not traditional. As you can see, we've gone with a plain coloured hexagon tile on the floor, so as not to be too overwhelming with the patterned stone. We are tiling floor to ceiling, as there are not many large expanses of wall without things on it (antracite towel heater, window, vanity unit, mirror, shower quad etc).

What do you think?

Comments (6)

• minnie101
    5 years ago

I'm with you. Straight feels a bit more modern and the brick bond may be a bit busy with the pattern and grout against the hexagon. I don't know whether I'd hang them vertically though

• Sonia
    5 years ago

It’s really personal preference, one way is no better than the other. I wanted my bathroom tiles horizontally and stacked, but my tiler (my brother) had started them upright and he’d done half of it before I had a look! It looks fine to be honest.

• hapiak
    5 years ago
    We have large stone tiles in a en-suite - straight - at the time we chose vertical - more to do with how much cutting was needed (more if horizontal in our en-suite) I like them vertical and I think they would have worked horizontal.

Not sure if this comment helps really?

But I can advise that whatever you choose just concentrate on why you chose it and don’t go back and forth tormenting yourself. It will look great.
  • Tani H-S
    5 years ago
    Im sure the tilers prefer the brick layout purely to disguise any bad tiling that might not line up, ha ha . Harder to run a row straight across than to break it up ;0)
    BUT, also to use up offcuts more so there is less waste.

We had a vertical run on the shower fitting wall to make it more of a feature wall and then had the rest of the tiles laid horizontal in a brick style.
    I guess if your grout is subtle, it shouldnt look too busy.
  • PRO
    FAIRFAX FLOORING
    5 years ago

In my opinion you have gone with a right option. At least it would be my personal preference. You already have hexagon tiles on the floor giving you a good amount of lines. And plus your wall tiles do have "a lot of interest in the pattern". The less the better.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.