ilntam

help with backsplash! i'm really in dead end

Nio S
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

i uploaded two photos so you can understand the problem.

in the first photo you can see a 3d 'design' that i made. Actually it is the first view of the house after you open the door. In the second photo you can see a design of the part of the kitchen that is visible from the door in the first photo. In the first photo i actually have exposed brick on that wall. So my problem is that i don't know what to install above the counter top(don't answer nothing, i want 40-50 cm tile or something above the counter top. i'm thinking to continue with the brick but it is dull i think.

This is my main tile

and this is some hexagonal tiles that i'm thinking of bying

any ideas?

Comments (38)

• emmarene9
    5 years ago

Is the brick actually in the kitchen or it can just be seen from the kitchen? Your flooring does not look like the floor in the 3D image you show. Are the cabinets to be close in color to the flooring? What is being used as counter top? It looks brown, is that correct?

Nio S thanked emmarene9
  • Related Discussions

what backsplash?

Q

Comments (26)
    We're with Valduff. Shades of purple and plum can really add depth to a chic scheme like yours. Particularly with your gorgeous counter top. Grey is also a good call, as it will coordinate with your kitchen units but allow room to add coloured accessories. It can depend on the light quality in your room- we always recommend grabbing some tester opts in a range of shades. Paint your walls or A4 sheets, and see what the colours look like as the light changes throughout the day.
    ...See More

Help with dining room - I'm afraid it will end up old fashioned

Q

Comments (13)
    Dining room is finally usable and we love it; having all our meals in there (against all the advise of friends who thought a dining room was a waste of space!) We have colour changing l.e.d’s for the cabinet and all the glassware will be plain, but I’m stuck in accessorise... I need to reupholster the chairs, require curtains/blind and table accessories. As the carpet is grey, this appears to be the obvious/safe choice, but I’m not a fan of ‘safe’. What colour would go with the teal walls? Thanks
    ...See More

Backsplash dilema

Q

Comments (7)
    I'd have a matching upstand, most worktops (i'm assuming its a laminate) now have a matching upstand available and this is usually about 100mm tall and 3m long and i'd run this all round the kitchen on the worktop. Where you hob is i'd have a glass splashback (these can be easily made to measure or bought off the shelf) if you have a gas hob you can't run the upstand behind this so the glass splashback will have to sit on the worktop but if its an electric hob then you have the option of running the upstand behind the hob and sitting the glass splashback on the upstand. Looks good IMO, seals the worktop to the wall and is clean and tidy. Alternatively, if you don't like any paint, lots of worktops also have a splashback board available, 600mm wide 3m long and you can use this to go between the worktops and wall units, again if you have a gas hob you would have to cover the laminate splashback with a glass splashback (you can get clear glass).
    ...See More

One large tile for kitchen backsplash?

Q

Comments (7)
    Hi Tashmina, I like the tile, however I would like to see how you intend to incorporate this with your kitchen? What colour is it? Is it a modern or more traditional kitchen?
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Christine Harrison Fine Art and Mosaics
    5 years ago

maybe consider a splash of colour with glass backsplash cut to size. I wouldn't go with hexagonal tiles - too busy with everything else.

Nio S thanked Christine Harrison Fine Art and Mosaics
  • Nio S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

my counter top is duropal so i can make the backsplash the same as you say. you think that i could use the hexagonal tiles on the floor of the kitchen where they aren't visible unless you walk in the kitchen?

• Nio S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

here

another image live.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

I would actually like to see the actual kitchen and not just one little wall space.

• Nio S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    i'll post it tomorrow
  • chispa
    5 years ago

So this is going to be a faux/fake brick wall?

• Nio S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

no this is the brick red brown in the middle

• emmarene9
    5 years ago

I would eliminate the brick unless it is part of a fireplace.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

those hex tiles, unless they are 3" or less, are too big for a splash.

what is your countertop?

Is this spot you've outlined the ONLY backsplash you've got to do? If so, and that part of the countertop isn't near any water or stove splatter, just bring your countertop up about 4-6 inches and paint above that.

or, bring it up all the way.

Or, do a piece of back painted glass for that spot

is that tile floor you've shown going all throughout the kitchen as well?

• chispa
    5 years ago

Nio, that is brick veneer, which really is fake brick! Your original post made it sound like you had an old building with a real solid brick wall and had to keep it in your design. I would not add a faux brick wall ... everyone will know it is fake and it doesn't add anything to your more contemporary kitchen design.

• Nio S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

so i took some screenshots from a design of the house that i made in sweet home 3d so you can understand the layout of the walls and kitchen.

the black arrow is the entrance, the red arrow are the walls that i will install the brick. as you can see the bigger wall continues in the living room. with the green arrow i marked the wall that i dont know what to do with the backsplash. lets go to the next image. imaginr that we start walking from the entrance.

again red arrow brick. green arrow dont know what to do with. lets walk a bit more. kitchen starts to unveil.

as you can see the backsplash in the side of the sink is the same as the countertop.

here some more realistic designs of the kitchen.

and these are the actual colors of the cabinets below and of the counter top.

cabinets on the right, counter top on the left.

the main tile i show you earlier i the same for the kitchen too. i'm thinking to install the hex tiles i show you earlier 2-3 rows only in the side of the sink. and to the point. you think that the green arrow should be a backsplash the same with the counter top?

• Donald
    5 years ago
    I think all of your choices individually look good, and your choices paired off look good, but all of it together might be too much. I’d keep the backsplash and counter the same material, maybe use the hex in another room.
  • chispa
    5 years ago

I still don't understand wanting a random brick veneer wall in a kitchen with modern design? Is there a similar brick anywhere else in the apartment/house? Is there any brick outside?

• acm
    5 years ago

1) no fake brick

2) no earthly reason for a "backsplash" next to an eating area. I'd hang a nice piece of art there, which would also make a nice greeting from the front door.

• emho23
    5 years ago

So far, you are including fake wood (floor tiles), fake brick, and fake slate (hex). That is way too much fake stuff and it is going to look so chintzy in my opinion. Skip the brick, it is ugly, skip the fake slate splash too.

• Nio S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
  • Charlene F
    5 years ago
    Have you considered just removing that part of the wall, since you seem to have a great view.
  • new-beginning
    5 years ago

the houses in your link (brick walls) seem to use the brick on an entire wall as an accent (or if not on an entire wall, at least on a large portion). From your sketch with the green arrows, it appears you are using on a wall, then an adjoining wall (very short) and then on an adjacent wall. Sort of like a zig-zag. Which I think will really look 'chopped up' and I absolutely HATE that brown brick you have chosen - does it 'go with' anything else (and that is why you picked it?)

• emho23
    5 years ago

What I said is that in my opinion, spaces with a lot of fake surfaces tend to look chintzy. I meant in real life, which is where we actually experience rooms. There is a lot you can't get from a photo. I can't tell from these images you posted if the surfaces are the real thing or fake, but in at least one of them the hardwoods look real. We all have our own taste and you do you, but to me, the screen-printed porcelain products never feel right, no matter how practical they may be.

• chispa
    5 years ago

Because someone else has a brick wall doesn't mean it will work in your space ... I am also going to assume many of the brick walls you see are real. I used to live in downtown Boston and many of the old apartments had some exposed brick walls. Real brick walls holding up the building.

• emmarene9
    5 years ago

I would not use a back splash in the area you marked. I would not use the duropal as back splash in the other section as it is so dark. Wait until the rest of the kitchen is finished to choose back splash material. That way you can try samples against the wall to see how they will look. Are you getting under counter lighting?

I am still not a fan of the brick. It makes no sense in a hallway.

• Nio S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    the final result we want to be like this https://pin.it/ab45aasdcr6szm

the wall basically is in the living room and only a small part from it is visible in the kitchen
  • localeater
    5 years ago

Don’t do anything to the wall at the end of the eating peninsula. Eventually you will find a piece af art you love and can hang it there. Or, you may even want a plant there.

• Nio S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    i will not put anything there..it is decited. maybe an art or something as you all said. my goal for the kitchen is to make it look serious and more like furniture because it is the first think you see when you enter the house.
  • auntthelma
    5 years ago

How about just paint? In a color similar to the backsplash in the working side of the kitchen.

• Nio S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

a lot of you pointed out that the wall i want to install the faux brick isnt appropriate. i like faux brick, the cozy filling it gives and i believe with some right touches it can be matched with the contemporary design. for example here https://pin.it/6uv5myave2qdms

in the living there are two walls that i can install the brick. the one you didnt like and the other that i will have the dining table.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

You don't need faux brick.....................anywhere.

• Nio S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

why do you say this? you give the house the style that you want. is any particular reason? if a client of yours want faux brick in his house and to advice him how to do it correctly you will tell him you dont need faux brick? what makes the contemporary houses that i posted different from my appartment? if you dont like faux brick as a product is another story. this means that the example houses i posted which use faux brick dont need it too?

• skunst2017
    5 years ago
    You should put whatever you like . , ! But , a brick wall inside a new house ..., ? In such a small space ???? It's not a loft with two story ceilings ....it's a normal house with small chopped up areas ......WHY ???
    Of course if you like it , that is all that matters . But since you asked for some opinions , this is a forum of many professionals in the house /real estate / design business ..who and
    I agree think you would be better served in the long run to keep it all white walls .....and keep the backsplash simple or the same as the counter ...introducing less patterns and colors ...will make your house look better , more elegant , more livable ...and better for resale in future ..you have too many different textures already . .....keep it simple and
    Enjoy the process and don't rush into anything if you are unsure ...., it's good to listen to others professional opinion and THEN after careful consideration , do what YOU want !
  • Nio S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

i appreciate all of your help until know! i just wanted understand why some appartments are ok for this idead and some not. I see faux brick in very small airbnb appartment this is for sure.

• skunst2017
    5 years ago
    Take a look at all the HOUZZ photos of houses ...you can pick from modern to traditional and everything in between ..and look and see or earmark what you might like ...it's a fun to look inside other people's houses ...and learn from all . I get ideas every day at HOUZZ , such collected wisdom here !
    Enjoy !!!! Think more of decoration your walls with paintings photos, mirrors ..little tables ..think about what you need ..where to put your keys when you come into the door ..where to hang the coats ...and where to sit , read , enjoy your lovely space. Think less about brick indoors .
  • wsea
    5 years ago

The reason the brick works in your inspiration is the walls they are seem like they could be brick (I’m not convinced your inspiration photos are faux though). . the walls you are proposing don’t seem like they would be brick and if it’s applied only to the front it will be obvious they are veneers. The walls in the inspiration photos don’t have that same appearance.

• sondramartina
    5 years ago

Just paint the wall around dining area and some modern art piece. No need for brick.

• emmarene9
    5 years ago

What about saving the brick for the bedroom?

When one room is visible from another it just seems odd that one wall would be brick.

Either way I hope you will show us the finished interior.

• Tanya
    5 years ago
    Hi Nio. I agree with some of the other comments about possibly using the brick wall in another space. I really like the hex tiles you chose and think they could work really well with your kitchen design. I’m a huge fan of wood and hex tiles with organic borders. Below are some pic that show how beautifully the two elements come together. In one pic you can even see how they use it as a partial backsplash under open shelving. Plus hex tiles can easily transition into moving up your walls (which could be an option in place of the brick).
  • Nio S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I will install hex tiles eventually but not in the backsplash only in the floor like the pictures you posted. finally it is a good idea for another bedroom, but i think the brick will make my living room cozy and with the rest of the contemporary desing it will be awesome! it will be fake brick but a very nice wall covering.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.