bobbie_1

Victorian flat kitchen renovation on a budget- advice in London

Bobbie M
5 years ago

Hi all!

Looking for some advice on my first kitchen refurb on a budget!

I bought my first flat 4 months ago. It's in a listed Victorian block of flats in Central London so quite small and in a need of some TLC. See floorplan attached. I had initially planned to knock through the kitchen and living area, but since living there decided not to as the wall is load-bearing, and I prefer to separate my cooking and relaxing spaces.

Now I'm planning to replace the kitchen and just knock through the kitchen and the inner the hall walls to create a bit of an L-Shape (they are not load-bearing. I'll leave the long entrance hall in place).
I'll want to replace everything (except the washing machine), including the massive boiler with a combi which will free up some space. I'll also want to take up the floor, probably re-tile one wall, and paint.

I'm not a great cook and live alone so don't need to go upscale with appliances- my main priorities are creating a nice space that makes the most of the fab natural light in the kitchen, and adding resale value.

I don't mind getting heavily involved in the process myself. But I of course need a builder, and ideally I want someone to help with (or at least cast a second eye over) the design/plan before I go about choosing the components. I seem to only be able to find companies that do extraordinarily expensive A-Z refurbs in London. Any ideas of how I can go about finding a designer+builder combo? I'm not trying to cut corners, but am thinking there must be another way!

Thanks!

Bobbie

Comments (31)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.