e11ie

Awkward, but quaint?

Luciana
5 years ago

Hello all!! It's been quite a while since I've been active on this site, but once again I'm in need of your help and advice, please.

We are in the process of buying a house with rather complex history: the initial building was a (smallish) 16th century cottage, which got an addition that doubled its size sometime in the 19th century. There's been some later additions as well, and it shows: the whole house feels somewhat discombobulated, fractured and all over the place. Every floor has two/three levels, every single room upstairs and most downstairs have steps going up or down or both!! Seriously, I'm convinced the first floor was designed by Escher and at the end, even he was terribly confused by the whole thing :)).

Plus, some walls are 80 cm wide at one end and 50cm at the other, there are niches in the stone and cubbyholes in almost every room, bumps and humps on most walls, the roof seems to abruptly dive down in places and just soar to unreachable heights in others.

I'm sure this sounds like someone's paradise in more ways than one, and although we love most of its idiosyncrasies and want to preserve its character, we would also like to change the layout, especially upstairs. However I've been told that there's not much I can do given the bones of the building; also because of pipes/ septic tank/ foundation, proximity to the river, etc, I shouldn't even try to think that I can move the kitchen or bathroom without some serious structural work... and we really want an en-suite upstairs...

What I'd like to know is: how can I modify a layout when there are so many (mini) levels and uneven floors, walls that look like they can easily take some heavy bombardment and remain standing, having a roof line far from straight, etc. Or it can not be realistically modified (we don't really want to make major structural changes) and I just have to resign myself to an uneven everything and awkward (but very quaint, I'm told by my British relatives) home?

PS: I'm posting the floorplan, but it doesn't really resemble real life (it's the estate agents' plan, so not entirely accurate).

Thank you!

Comments (16)

• Jonathan
    5 years ago
    You can cut all the joists out and hang new joists at a level you like.
    It means moving doors, moving skirting boards, moving radiators, electrics, replastering. The end result is that windows then seem a little low.
    I have never done it but was quoted about £5k to do one room in a house a nearly bought a few years ago.
    I might consider raising some of the floors this way.
    However it did seem that the obvious solution to the ensuite problem was to turn the existing bathroom into a bedroom and then divide the bedroom above the back kitchen to create a bathroom and ensuite.
    Luciana thanked Jonathan
  • Luciana
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Temple and Jonathan and thanks for your replies.

I agree that raising the floor sounds like the obvious solution, but as Jonathan mentioned, it would be quite daunting - however, it is a solution! Something I can work with! Although the whole upstairs is carpeted at the moment, so I'm not even sure how wonderful the floorboards are :).

Unfortunately, Jonathan, the bathroom is one of the rooms with weird eaves that are rather low (on both sides of the room!) and the bedroom next to it is the one room that was actually added some 2 decades ago (and has wonderful straight walls :))

What I was thinking was to transform the smallest bedroom into an en-suite or even a Jack&Jill, but that room has the only access to the wrap-around balcony - do you think it would be too bizarre to go out on the balcony through an en-suite?! Is that something that's acceptable even?

Again, many thanks for your help, I'm more positive that I can do changes now!

• A B
    5 years ago
    Is it not listed? Sounds amazing!
    Luciana thanked A B
  • Luciana
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh Jen, it is wonderful!! It truly is a gem and not listed!! It's hidden away in a forest, totally secluded and with river views from almost all the windows - you step out the back door and it only takes some 20 steps to climb down to the river bank.

As it's an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, the rules are pretty strict, but at least it's not listed.

The ladies who lived there for the last two decades or so have done a great job maintaining and improving the whole property, that's why we are not planning major structural changes. However, we want to have friends and family over and the upstairs layout doesn't offer a lot of distance and privacy. That's why we want an en-suite.

Furthermore, there's a barn or rather the former couch house that just screams for a conversion, and we'll do it, just not straight away.

And this is the view from the said balcony:

• Jonathan
    5 years ago
    The spot looks idyllic.
    I think there has to be a weigh up of the cost of reconfiguring the house so that guests can stay versus the cost of creating additional guest accommodation in outbuildings.
    It may well add more to the value of the property to put a couple of ensuite bedrooms in the outbuildings. Given that they are likely not connected to the main house you might consider including things to make this plan work better- for instance lots of wellies and umbrellas for visitors, security cameras to make baby sitting easier, tv, tea and coffee facilities in the room, a communication system so you can call them.
    Actually it sounds great- I might visit myself
    Luciana thanked Jonathan
  • minnie101
    5 years ago

Er, wow Luciana, what an amazing place to live!! I think I'd be living on that balcony!

I think I would consider Jonathan's idea. Can I visit too?!

Luciana thanked minnie101
  • Patrina
    5 years ago
    I have no suggestions but wow! gorgeous property and the rest.
    Luciana thanked Patrina
  • Monica
    5 years ago

So lovely to see you active again Luciana, and like Minnie speechless at the sheer beauty of your newest acquisition. Cannot wait to see more and if this Houzz members get together ever goes ahead I'd like to add my name to it LOL

Luciana thanked Monica
  • Luciana
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Jonathan, Minnie and the rest - you are all welcome! But don't make any plans for at least 2 years, because that's when we think you'd be able to finish the barn - it needs planning permission first of all and, as it is in fact rather narrow, we don't really know if you'd be allowed to extend or just renovate within the existing walls (that obviously need repointing), so that could take a while to get sorted.

Also, we might have some logistic problems bringing in large machinery, given the narrow drive to the house, so it's not a straight forward job.

Am I cruel to show you these photos? SORRY!! But I'm just so excited! The surveyor is there today, I can't wait to hear his report.

Anyway, long ago I'd promised Karen@OnePlan that if I ever start another project, I'll ask her firm to get involved... so she might be the first to visit :))

Back to my question though: can I somehow make an elegant access to the balcony through the bathroom??

• PRO
    Johnson Bespoke Ltd
    5 years ago

It's looks like a beautiful house in a beautiful setting . A bathroom with a balcony could be a nice quirky addition to an already characterful home. There's something quite luxurious about that concept too, something like this comes to mind, a bath with a view.

Alternatively does the balcony wrap around any other rooms with a window? A window that has the potential to be a door and create a new access?

Luciana thanked Johnson Bespoke Ltd
  • Monica
    5 years ago

Luciana, I would like you to simply post ALL of the pictures you took of this place. Sounds gorgeous and it looks it too. And I think Karen should do a site visit sooner rather than later, she's been working far to hard and could do with a little escape to gorgeousness.

Luciana thanked Monica
  • Luciana
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Johnson, that is the type of bathroom I was thinking of! With the toilet obviously enclosed in a corner - it should work!

And you are right, there is a rather large window on the other side, it could be easily altered as a door and that would create a better flow and more available space... thank you!

PS: that's what I was talking about when I mentioned extensions built in different centuries: it's quite obvious here!

• Luciana
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Monica, as we haven't yet exchanged, I am rather reluctant to post a lot of photos, especially interior ones, as I don't want to feel like I'm exposing or intruding into the current owners' privacy. Which I know they value dearly, that's why they chose to live so secluded. However, there are photos on the estate agents' site and some that they allowed me to take (of the barn) and I don't mind sharing those.

Karen is more than welcome at any time, we all know she's an workaholic and I'd be happy to let her have a short break! But - the river house is not ours yet, so I'm afraid all I can offer now is our guestroom in Cardiff :)). It's quite nice, but I wouldn't describe it as 'gorgeousness'! Or the Paris apartment, if she fancies a trip abroad (and that is gorgeous!)

Anyway, I truly hope I didn't jinx anything by posting about the house before we got it - but I got too excited to keep quiet...

• Monica
    5 years ago

I see :) I totally understand and feel the excitement in your posts. I will send positive thoughts your way until it does indeed become yours.

Luciana thanked Monica
  • Luciana
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hey! Don't make me cry here!! ...thank you so much, Monica!

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.