wayne_bryan99

Is my garden design just naff?

I've been trying to come up with a nice design for our garden. It's not very big (15.0m from back of house the end fence and 8.4m from side of garage to opposite fence) and suffers from being on a bit of a slope.

The section furthest from the house will be about a 500mm higher than the main lawn to bring it level with the asphalt parking area. The garage is being made into a gym with access from the side (currently it has a door in the end closest to the house which leads through a small workshop room that I want to completely segregate from the gym).

The tree would be new, we're thinking of splashing out on a mature tree. The oil tank is currently right in the middle of the lawn, so we're moving it into the corner as shown. The shed is necessary but there may be scope to build some kind of lean to at the side of the house instead to store all our crap if funds allow.

The patio is curently concrete and is probably the best place for it to be.

Level changes and raised planting will be walled with reclaimed soft red brick and sandstone flat coping like in the picture. The patio will be a mint sandstone to go with the coping. The house is soft red brick and rendered painted cream, so the thinking is that the garden pallette will tie in with the house.

Where you step up into the higher area with the tree I've suggested a freestanding brick archway something like in the picture. I think this gives the garden a feature and helps to make the area at the back a seperate area, but my wife says it splits the garden up and makes it look smaller. I think the garden is small and there's no getting away from it. I would like to have a 3ft wall surrounding that area to enhance the sense of seclusion there but this won't fly it seems.

The constraints in the whole area and wifes wishlist have been really challenging. Just when I think I've come up with something special it turns out we can't agree.

If this looks really naff to any garden experts out there I would be more receptive to having to have a major rethink, as I realise there are rules/guidelines that can make or break a garden design. Or any minor suggestions of things I hadn't considered would be great, because while it looks simple it has taken me ages just to work up the design to something I'm happy with.

Thank you for your time.

Comments (27)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.