Crepe Myrtle - can I cut the trunk?

Eileen Beltz
22 May, 2019

I don't know which variety we have. We have owned this property one year. I was so happy to know I had a Crepe Myrtle!

This tree is mature, and was let to overgrowth, and was filled with Spanish Moss, which we removed, as much as possible last year. It has powdery mildew this year. I have been treating it by sprinkling corn meal on the roots, on the ground, watering it in. Spraying a solution of baking soda, veg oil, and dish soap in water on the leaves I can reach.

The Problem:

There is powdery mildew above where I can't reach -- it's about 10 ft tall. CAN THOSE AREAS ABOVE -- BE CUT OFF NOW, AS I WRITE -- MAY 22, 2019? The tree was pruned in Feb as advised. I keep taking branches off if the mildew is on them. And spraying what is looking green and good with the home-made solution. I started this treatment May 14, so I've done it twice. Another tree with Spanish Moss on it towers over it. :(

Top Photo - 2/19 Bottom Photo - 5/19 Middle Photo - 6/22/18

email -- ebeltz77@fastmail.fm Thank you for your attention.