mainegard3

Mosquito Sprsting?

mainegard3
4 years ago

I’d like to have my back yard sprayed but was hesitant due to potential harm to plants, garden, honey bees,etc. Anyone have thoughts on this and is there a safe method recommended? Any do it yourself options that work well?

Comments (5)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    4 years ago

Do you know the source of the mosquitoes that are a problem in your backyard? The ideal method of control is with a biological larvacide in the pond, pool, ditch, or other body of standing water.

There are no aerosol insecticides that will kill mosquitoes but won't do the same to other insects, amphibians, birds, and warm blooded critters like you and your pets.

I've heard of garlic repellents but don't know how well they work.

• mainegard3
    Original Author
    4 years ago

not sure of the source. I use the BT disks but I may need to use more earlier.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    4 years ago

I put out Bt every year in the water filled borrow pits created when the town raised the road bed many years ago,and it definitely cuts back on mosquitoes but doesn’t totally eliminate them. Beyond that, having a screened sitting area or fans for unscreened outdoor areas, working outside on windy days and avoiding the morning and evening times the mosquitoes prefer, and using a combo of coverage with clothing or netting and repellent options are your best bet if you want to avoid harming beneficial insects. Also consider adding houses for bats and insect eating birds such as swallows and bluebirds.

• PRO
    Sustainable Landscape Consultants
    4 years ago

You could use a product that has bifenthrin as the active ingredient. It will kill bees and bebeneficial insects, but if you spray late in the evening and use a two gallon sprayer you will minimize killing the wrong insect. Mosquitos like cool damp areas. They usually live below six feet so spray your mulch beds, shrubs, under deck, woodpile, brushy areas. As noted, get rid of anything holding water, like empty buckets, cans, etc. Spray about once a week. That would be a good start.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    4 years ago

Bifenthrin? Good grief, let's not do that.

Mainegard, Bt dunks are very helpful for controlling the larvae in bodies of water. Is that what you're dealing with?

Sponsored
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.