james_cox26

Best use of extension space?

James Cox
4 years ago

Hi, I am fairly new to Houzz and this is my first post. My wife and I have recently purchased a Victorian terrace that had been converted into 2 flats and we are in process of converting back into a single home. Our budget will only allow us to knock through existing walls in the extended part of the ground floor to create an open plan space to increase our living area.

So far my wife and I have bounced ideas off of each other and come up with a draft plan for the ground floor but… I have just discovered this Advice section in Houzz and realised there a lots of budding home enthusiasts (professional and recreational) whose advice could be invaluable (if anyone would be so kind/interested)!

Our current plan is to convert the rear of the property into an open plan kitchen/sitting room/kids room. And keep the original ground floor rooms as (a more formal) living room to the front and dining room in the middle. Worth noting we have a toddler and will have a new born soon!

I have pasted our ground floor current and proposed plans (apologies – the proposed plan has been amended in blue ballpoint for now!) as well as our current idea for internal layout rear extension (which I used free app to create and is near-scale). In terms of style we are thinking modern handless kitchen with light grey cabinets, white quartz worktop with dark wooden features (eg kitchen peninsula and shelving). There will be new bi fold doors at rear of property, sliding door into the light well and a sky light (we are thinking black aluminium for glazing). The floor we are thinking wood engineered will work well. I have also added a pic of a kitchen we have found on this site that has inspired these ideas (albeit ours will be a much cheaper version!).

Any thoughts/suggestions on our proposed plan, kitchen layout or style choices will be gratefully received! Are we missing something obvious, is there a better way of utilising this space?

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.