donjuanila

Advice on table finish!

donjuanila
3 years ago

Hi all,

Thanks to lockdown and looking at my unfinished DIY projects 24/7 I have finally got round to starting a table makeover that I have been planning for too long.

I have a small kidney-shaped table that I have been using as a bedside table. I have started by stripping it of the ugly varnish that it came with. Now my plan is to sand it down with gradually finer sandpaper (by hand I don't have any power tools and anyway it's fairly small!) and then finish it... somehow. I've started...

I attach a pic - I have no idea what kind of wood it is and this is only my second project so I am very much an amateur. I have read too much about stains, lacquers, polishes, varnishes and now my brain is on fire.

Basically I would love it to have the smooth feel that you get on mango wood furniture (though I get you can't polish a turd!) - that is, not shiny-reflective, that's what I was trying to get rid of. I quite like the sheen that comes from something like beeswax.

ANYWAY. It will sometimes have cups of tea perching, but I am no stranger to coasters. So my question is, what would be a fairly straightforward option to finish it? Wax looks nice, I would just have to avoid putting drinks directly on it to not get ring marks. i guess it might be good to add some level of protection, but not a priority. I think the colour as is is ok, I def don't want it much darker. I have read about:

Pure beeswax

Briwax

Osmo hard wax oil

Danish oil

Teak oil

I know there are others but those seem to be my shortlist. What would you do? Pic below!

Many thanks

Nila

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.