webuser_71660

staircase alteration thoughts

Tani H-S
3 years ago

I’ve been putting off working on the staircase for over a year now and I’ve decided to finish it so I can get the stair carpet on!

Top floor main bedroom (loft room)

I’ve painstakingly stripped the old paint off the bannister rail and given it a sand to provide a key but I honestly can’t face doing all the spindles. Can’t replace them due to cost so my idea was to fill them in with plywood we have and create a panelled effect to give it character.

In an ideal world I would keep the bare wood rail but it would need so much more sanding and it’s not in good condition - nor are the posts as big chunks missing. So it will be painted in the dark grey blue paint i have in the room.

My main though to panelling it is (aside from being easier to paint!) is because you see all under the bed when you walk down the stairs.

My main concern with doing it is creating even more of a tunnel as it will block out more natural light.

I have the paint and boards so it won’t cost extra to panel it.
The stairs will have painted sides and a carpet.

What are your thoughts??

Comments (16)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.