webuser_233963283

Altering Steep Stairs

Sophie
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi Everyone

We are in the process of purchasing an 1890's semi to renovate and sell on. Along with standard refurbishments, our plan is to move the bathroom upstairs by splitting the front bedroom in half, creating a utility off the kitchen, and altering the stairs to reduce their steepness. Currently they are like climbing a ladder, something I believe would put off a lot of buyers.

I'd love to do the simplest of adjustments (for cost and time reasons), keeping access to the 3 bedrooms above in a similar alignment. If this could also result in the kitchen/ diner becoming more open plan that would be a great bonus! The ideal solution would be flipping the staircase 90 degrees to hug the dining/ living wall however, there's not enough space (please ignore my drawn on stairs there). Our current working solution is to keep the stairs' original placement but wind them back on themselves 90 degrees in some sort of square spiral arrangement. The house will be sold on so has to comply with building regs and I'd like to avoid the super tight spiral staircase to keep it user friendly.

I love how people see things differently so it would be great to hear any ideas you might have?

Thanks for your time!

Comments (25)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.