webuser_919909323

Thoughts on our proposed open plan extension layout?

HU-919909323
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi all,

Just recently discovered Houzz, but that has been perfect timing as we have recently bought a ground garden floor flat in a 4 flat Victorian house and planning a ground floor extension to start in the new year, so we have been getting some great ideas and advice from here.

I wanted to get people opinion on our proposed layout for the extension that will encompass an all in one kitchen, dining and living/TV open-plan room. The one thing we would like that we have had to abandon is an island in the kitchen, as we don't have room for it, and so we have a breakfast bar instead.

At the far right where the garden is we have two options in mind, 1: bi-fold doors all the way across as they look great but speaking to people we know with them they say they don't open them all the way that often so, 2: smaller bi-fold doors at the top and a window seat at the bottom so we have extra seating around the TV as well as a nice place to read/relax. The later is what we are thinking of as it's more practical and if we still want some wow factor we are thinking of a frameless glass Oriel window, although they seem pricey.

FYI - the mini-room in the top left corner is a lightwell to allow light into the bedroom via French doors, the yellow box on the bottom wall before the TV is a bookcase, we might put the turn the table 90 degrees (we will see what looks more spacious once it's in the room) and finally, we are thinking of putting in a log burning fire (might be suspended from the ceiling dependent on budget left) in the bottom right corner between the TV and window to make that area cosier as we are having gas under-floor heating so an occasional direct source of heat on colder nights in front of the TV/reading would work well.

Be great to have people's opinion on the layout in particular, but any other thoughts and advice would be most welcome.

Thanks,

James

Comments (13)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.