Help with fireplace in 1920s house, please

R H

I have lived with this fireplace for years, but always disliked the fact that it feels out of place in my 1920s house. When we moved in I painted the mantle and replaced the colourful tiles with black panels and left the living flame gas fire in it.

During recent building work the gas supply to the fire was inadvertently disconnected and can't be reinstated, so as I come to decorate the room now I have to make a decision.

Hubby wants to leave it completely as is (we've got radiators for heat), but I'm toying with the idea of some kind of electric fire and a plainer surround for cleaner lines. I'm on a budget, but don't want it to look cheap. The chimney is open, but I don't really do real fires.

Thanks for any advice!