webuser_927969498

New floor vs refurbishing old timber floor in Victorian flat

Kristin Dokken
6 months ago

We are in the process of redoing the floor in our open plan living room / kitchen and had initially planned to do engineered wood over the old underlay, but having now ripped up the underlay too we can see the old floor boards underneath (see photo). Just debating if we should consider trying to refurbish the old wooden floor instead but we are in a flat and there doesn’t appear to be anything underneath the boards, just the joists and the plasterboard of the downstairs ceiling. So we are worried about the noise transmission, currently it’s acceptable but you can hear if the downstairs neighbours are having a party for example. Wondering if anyone has a similar situation and could advise? We also have an issue with the floor being very uneven, classic old building, so laying the new floor will require some levelling and is currently going to cost us in the region of £10k. Does anyone know rough costs for restoring an old floor (roughly 38 square meters)?

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.