lizzie_hudson41

Master suite layout help

2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

Hello there,

I am in the process of redesigning the upstairs of a chalet bunaglow. Adding a large dormer across the back, and possibly two smaller dormer across the front. It currently has one small dormer at the front, allowing headheight for the stairs. Though it is rotten and needs to be replaced. So we could remove if it helps our plans. I don't want three dormers across the front as that will look unattractive. So it's either one central one, or a pair of new ones.

I am struggling with the layout, particularly the master bedroom, and wondering if anyone has any brain waves?

We want to fit in a walk-in wardrobe (or enough space for 2 or 3 metres of hanging rail - could be built into eaves), ensuite and bedroom area.

The ceiling slopes away at the front, indicated by dashed line.

Window on right side is south-facing, and could be removed/resized, if necessary. Did think about a slit window high up, allowing room for the kingsize bed below. Do not want bed immediately in front of a standard window.

Window(s) to be added at the back (east-facing, currently drawn without window) in the new dormer.

Dormer(s) to the front are west-facing.

Chimney breast, for downstairs fireplace, cannot be removed. (Projection, 345mm)

Existing and new layout attached. Overall goal is a family bathroom, extra bedroom and an ensuite in master. Existing dormer is rotten so will remove, and turn the stairs.

Open to any other ideas for the upstairs to what I've worked out. If we can get some eaves storage in somewhere that would be helpful. Perhaps in the small bedroom at the front.

(The blue room is the existing room on the left, and the cream room the one on the right with the chimney breast).

**THANK YOU**

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.