houzzerpolls

POLL: 2014 home resolutions?

Houzz Polls
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
Do you have a home resolution for 2014?

Vote and tell us below! Please also post a comment telling us what other resolutions are on your list this year (feel free to share your photos too!) and you will automatically be entered into the drawing to win your very own pair of Houzz slippers.

*One entry per person, per drawing. Entries must be posted before 12:00am Pacific Time 1/8/2014. One winner will be drawn at random.

Comments (129)

• thegreenbee
    10 years ago
    I am getting rid of clutter in the form of a near liquidation ("many things must go!") before moving in the next couple months. After having our second child last year, my family is about to explode out of our little house, and I just do not want to move a single thing that I do not seriously want to keep around!
    (There comes a point when you look around and think, "Where the heck did all this stuff come from?!")
  • westport5050
    10 years ago
    I would like to remodel my very inefficient kitchen as I really would like the kitchen to be the heart of the home. Also, I want to say goodbye to open-plan forever as my kids reach the teenage years and conflicting tastes in music become an issue!
  • PRO
    Darla Scheuerman
    10 years ago
    I am not moving, but I am getting rid of a lot if "stuff" I'm tired of maintaining it. Going to try to minimize. Keep what I love, get rid of everything I don't. Quality not quantity.
  • thriftyboho
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I am finally going to decorate my apartment this year - in a monochromatic color scheme, which I've dreamed of doing for about thirty years! My entire apartment in different shades of green, mmmm. Yay, me!
  • Yuan Qin
    10 years ago
    my 2014 home resolution is to start planning and designing my dream house that i will give to my parents. I have started asking question like what is their favorite color and part of the house.
  • Sherry Stikeleather
    10 years ago
    Finish the floor of our lakehouse!
  • PRO
    Studio M Interior Design
    10 years ago
    First and foremost, 2013's clutter needs to be out of sight and out of mind! Needless to say, we've been making trips up and down the attic with boxes of seasonal decor and less frequently used items like decor and all of our dishes from entertaining over the holidays.
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    I will start outside as soon as I finish putting away the Christmas decorations.
  • Ellen Schafer-decker
    10 years ago
    Studio M Interior Design... PLEASE do not call your decorations clutter! Hope cards and pictures are not on that list either. Wish I still had all of my beautiful decorations. Have a happy new year, and look forward to all the holidays to come!
  • emdol
    10 years ago
    I want to finish our swedish looking boatshouse ( there is no water near by) . The fake windows needs shades and the facade a little remodling.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    I don’t have clutter, but I do have lots of storage containers with things that I can’t let go of…my mother’s china, for instance. Those containers have not been opened once in over 10 years.

I don’t want my daughter having to dispose of these things (should something happen) she will never use.
  • charleee
    10 years ago
    Clean the garage!!!
  • Debbie Vandiver Duvall
    10 years ago
    Well, I live in a house built in the late 60's, and it has never been update. So, I really have a plan to do some remodeling, starting with my kitchen.
  • theresistance
    10 years ago
    Yes! Declutter and simplify your home and life
  • ruthgarza
    10 years ago
    Hello, can someone here in denver help me find a wild hyacinth thank you
  • Kathryn
    10 years ago
    I've got several resolutions:

Entertain more

Decorate my new house, which will make me want to entertain more

And last but not least, keep my home as tidy as possible. A tall task when I have a perpetually messy husband & dog.
  • bbarick
    10 years ago
    My resolution is to finalize master bedroom/bathroom remodeling plans and get on with it!
  • User
    10 years ago
    Clutter is a bloodsucking disease! Left untreated you'll get fat and look ugly
  • Lynda Albronda
    10 years ago
    We sold our home 18 months ago and I did an extreme "de-clutter" then, however it seems I have managed to gather a lot of clutter in the house we are renting :( -how did I do this??? Our new home should be completed this year so I am going to "Get rid of clutter" again! and (hopefully) keep it that way!
  • Mindy Flores
    10 years ago
    moving...and don't want to bring all of our junk to a new house!
  • D'Arcy Clements
    10 years ago
    Complete my remodel! After buying my fixer-upper home over 15 years ago, it was finally time for the remodel to happen. And, oh boy, was it extensive... starting with a leaking roof! Houzz has been an awesome resource. My tween daughter & I have been living in a construction zone for almost a year. I'm a single mom on a teachers salary, so moving out really wasn't an option... It's been adventure... But, it's almost done!! Here's to 2014 and living in a complete, beautiful home, sans bowls and buckets to catch Pacific Northwest rain... Ahhhhh...
  • shazzan
    10 years ago
    We will be moving into our house in February after nearly a year on rebuilding and making the property liveable. However we will not have a kitchen when we move in,so our plan for 2014 will be to plan and fit a kitchen as soon as we are able.
  • April-Anne Elliot
    10 years ago
    Get rid of clutter! My family is full of pack rats.
  • ksadlier
    10 years ago
    Need to let go of things just because a family member passed it down.
  • scarlettcohara
    10 years ago
    How are we all in the same boat……TOO MUCH CLUTTER? This was not a problem with my parents.
  • roccouple
    10 years ago
    3 things

1 take down large old shed
    2 finish clearing out saplings etc from lot
    3 make decision about whether to buy new home or do full remodel of old
  • oceanwaves108
    10 years ago
    Exercise more
  • Tari Hodges
    10 years ago
    Clean out 3 generations of junk!
  • benostrander
    10 years ago
    Build a garden for our new house and figure out a way to wall mount our cable box next to the wall-hung tv.
  • nawhitmore
    10 years ago
    Become more energy efficient; 1930 stucco housewife a flat roof, no insulation!!! I will update and change out three front windows and 1 picture window to help conserve energy.
  • Vanessa Murphy
    10 years ago
    Going minimalist in 2014! Yes even with 7yo twin boys :).
  • Lori B
    10 years ago
    I selected 'become more energy efficient'. We are remodeling our 'new' home and have a very Long list to work through in 2014. Part of that remodel is exterior where we are installing a raised telescoping pool cover. It creates a greenhouse effect and warms the water without using power. It will also enable us to use the pool for more of the year as well as not drain the pool in the winter so it will save water. An added Bonus is the Company is building the cover within a couple of hours of us rather than ordering one from another Country. We are also going to begin landscaping the Yard. We have cut down 11 very large trees and the Wood will become firewood, mulch or burried in hugelkultur beds that will eventually work to diminish extra watering. During the landscaping, we are installing a rainwater tank in the ground. I think we have decided to go with either a 2 or 3 thousand Liter tank. We are having some large Stones for a retaining wall brought in from the local mountain and will also use local Stone for a path and additional retaining wall on the property. Can't wait.
  • hayeseiss
    10 years ago
    hayeseiss

We will finish an extensive remodel of our 103 year old Seattle home! Total kitchen remodel, 2nd bath added, retaining wall with fence on posts, plaster out drywall in, new lighting and landscaping. We've been living in a construction zone for over a year and are still madly in love! In 2014 we expect to be able to sit back, relax and enjoy our short lived northwest summer. Even invite some folks over without it being a safety hazard! Then with a short breather it will be back to work with a downstairs bath remodel, punch out of the living room and finished basement.
  • corinan
    10 years ago
    You should have a category called "Get rid of spouses clutter", as that is what I really meant.
  • Katy Richard
    10 years ago
    I'm getting rid of clutter. Here's my new drawer. I outfitted it with a divider system.
  • ranita_girl1981
    10 years ago
    Getting rid of clutter and getting things organized will give me more time to do the things I love to do. :)
  • Jean Bowman
    10 years ago
    Moved to a slightly larger home recently and can't imagine how we had all this "stuff"in a smaller space. It must have expanded in the moving trucks! Hauling to Habitat & Hospice as much as we can!
  • PRO
    Carl Hedleston
    10 years ago
    I want to create a magical place. My little house and yard next to a pond in Charleston has all the bones...I tend to assassinate all things green.
  • sadiemaesmith
    10 years ago
    I hope to add an Island to my kitchen with a butcher block top and recycling/composting and returning station it will add counterspace as well as help me help the environment so win/win
  • madigriffc
    10 years ago
    I need to remove all the clutter in my bedroom. Does anyone have organization ideas?
  • Ellen Schafer-decker
    10 years ago
    madigriffic... I am finishing this today! Take everything out, put back only what looks good. Pray no one will notice all the extra things in your dining room! I am up to sorting what is left in the dining room. HELP anyone??????????????
  • linpic
    10 years ago
    I can't wait to get rid of stuff! Started today, but it will take a lot of hard work. We've been in this house 20 years!!
  • Jeannie Nguyen
    10 years ago
    CONGRATULATIONS to Lori B for winning her very own pair of Houzz slippers! If you missed out on this poll, you still have time left to get your comments into our 2014 Remodel poll!
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/poll-2014-remodel-dsvw-vd~789857
  • troysmommy
    10 years ago
    Get rid of clutter. It's not in the house, but 5 years ago I had to break up my Mom's house, still have tubs of stuff, then 3 years ago we moved, and everything I'm "keeping" us in the garage. Now my mother in law has been made palliative and I face the fact that there will be more "stuff" that I have to deal with. Many many items that are 3 or 4 generations in his family. Somehow I have to encorporate these heirlooms in my home.
  • PRO
    Fleurishes
    10 years ago
    What we have done is to give a lot of it to our grown children and grandchildren. Maybe some of it could be donated...We store some in the attic...but "putting our house on a diet" is the goal this year............huuuuuuuuuuh...even a little will be better than none. Also, I put 1 item in the "donate" box each day...good luck
  • PRO
    Rebecca Hite, Realtor, Huntington Properties, LLC.
    10 years ago
    De-clutter - an ongoing task!
  • cabingirl13
    10 years ago
    De-clutter happens all year long. I would really like the hubby to finally man up and sell some of his "toys (atv's)" and make more room in the polebarn so when I want to pull the riding mover out to cut the grass I don't have to move 4 atv's out of my way first.
  • PRO
    Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
    10 years ago
    already have hosted 2 parties this year and on to 3 with St. Paddy's day party.
  • diyher
    10 years ago
    can you say SPAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    10 years ago
    Spam ? Ugh. Comes in a can and way watered down. I don't like it. I don't even like looking at it.
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.