sofadavidshelf

Smallish living room layout confusion

sofadavidshelf
10 years ago
I'm just painting my new place before moving in and I'm wondering how I should lay it all out. I'm starting from scratch with no furniture at all. As you can see - the living room opens onto the stairs and has doors at each end - one to the entry hall and one to the kitchen.

The fittings for the TV are in one corner, there's one window, two radiators, and an ugly electric fireplace. The house itself is a very bland cookie-cutter British newish build (less than 10 years old).

Comments (55)

• Carolina
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    How would you feel about going up to the ceiling with the fireplace, making it more of a box shape? Something like this:
    Interior General Gallery · More Info

Or this, but without the TV over the fireplace;
    Evergreen Renovation · More Info

For a layout I'll need all the measurements on the floor plan, not only the two walls you've given :-)
    sofadavidshelf thanked Carolina
  • sofadavidshelf
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi guys - reply incoming below but here are some more measurements and images of the space.
  • Related Discussions

Kitchen Diner Living room layout help needed

Q

Comments (4)
    I have a slight aversion to kitchen islands and any thing high that resembles a breakfast bar - I have no idea why - maybe because of the linear quality and I'm quite keen to keep the openness rather than section the room off, but I do really like the sofa arrangement in the corner - thanks so much for your time and input
    ...See More

First home :0 Living room layout help?

Q

Comments (27)
    And another person agreeing...DO keep the fireplace. People in the future will be grateful. It's the natural focal point, and the tiling looks original. What a gift! I love your ideas about dark colours, and the teal sofa suggestion is genius - teal references and tones with green but also subdues the effect. Two sofas is a great idea; its an elegant and efficient way to seat 4 and no-one ever wants to sit in the middle of a larger one - it makes conversation impossible. One tip is to place them NOT right against a wall if possible. Pull them into the room even if only a little way, making sure you have enough circulation space between them and a coffee table Paradoxically, space behind a sofa implies a larger room. Alternatively, and I know this works, you don't have to have a coffee table between them, but can use side tables. I also agree that a TV above a fireplace is a very bad idea. It looks unsophisticated, it's harder to change when you want a new, or no, TV, and the angle of viewing is all wrong. A big black screen is not what should dominate your sitting room - which is going to be great. How exciting to be planning your first home.
    ...See More

Help with living room layout

Q

Comments (13)
    Just out of interest, where is the tv? Or do you not have one? I had a small living room in our first home - terraced house so you walked into the lounge off the street. I put two sofas facing each other ie as you have it now (or a sofa and two comfy chairs) and the tv was on the right side against the wall (so the wall opposite the fire). It did make it feel less blocked off when you walked in - but that was from an entrance so I wanted it to feel more inviting and ignored the fact the front door was there. What to the other side of the closet? Ie I can see the stairs and then a cupboard but is there another door to the right of the sofa? If not then putting the sofa facing the fire (providing you can walk past at least one side) would be fine. If you want that effect but the sofa is too big then you could always look at selling it and getting a smaller one OR an L shaped with the smaller end opposite the fire
    ...See More

hi changing layout of living room

Q

Comments (10)
    I thought you had two sofas too! I agree with MATH ideal position is parallel to the fireplace but it would bother me blocking the door and there's not enough space to pull it forwards and enter the room behind it While you're having a shuftee (it's a word!!) round have you tried the sofa on angle? Perhaps at the window end of the room. You'd have to try and position it not to block the opening of the door or the alcove cupboard. You could keep TV where it is then, but on a built in shelf or TV stand. Floor lamp behind the sofa and small chair on over on TV side. It would then mean you enter the sitting area, space between the sofa and the chair? You might even then have enough room for a really slim console table to act as a drop zone (I've read to many American design blogs!) for your keys, post etc.
    ...See More
  • sofadavidshelf
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    And here are some layouts I was thinking about. The first one would be easiest as it wouldn't require moving any wiring or TV cables. Also here's the room in metric measurements.
  • sofadavidshelf
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @carolins: Thanks for reply to my post :) Glad you like the colour scheme as I've been having doubts about the gray but it's growing on me again now. Yes - I hate the fire surround and location. I'd be wary of going upwards in a faux chimney-breast style as I wouldn't want to exaggerate the narrowness of the room. I don't really have the funds for a remodel like that anyway and if I did I'd be more tempted to rip the fire out completely, plaster over it, and put the telly there instead. Replacing the fire-surround could be an option though, but moneywise it couldn't be a priority. Thank you for the suggestion.

@Victoria: When you're talking about removing the surround - does that mean the wood bit? I'd love to get rid of that but wouldn't know what to replace it with and I'm not at all 'handy' myself so I'd have to pay someone to do it. The fire's useless to be honest. At best it creates a slightly warm draft. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by corridor effect - it's sort of awkward because the living room is the entrance to house, the only route to the kitchen, and the location of the stairs... Thanks for replying :)
  • sofadavidshelf
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Also here's my pinterest board for the living room: http://www.pinterest.com/davsofa/living-room/ and one for some various furniture inspiration for the wider house http://www.pinterest.com/davsofa/furniture/

At the moment the contender for shelving is the IKEA Vittsjo units here http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20213312/ and the sofa possibility is the IKEA Tidafors (I think it's ugly, but it's comfortable and cheapish) http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20205227/#/10205223
  • Victoria
    10 years ago
    Love your pinterest board. I think you need something behind the sofa on the wall adjacent to the stairs. Can you fit a narrow console table over the radiator? You can foil it underself to reflect the heat into the room. Then you could put a lamp etc on it and add interest.
    Does the door to the kitchen need to open into the lounge or can you re-hang it so it opens into the kitchen?
    Also, consider a portiere rod so you can hang a curtain over the front door to make it cosy on a winter evening. John Lewis sell them.
    I love the colour scheme. Yes I meant the wood surround, you could just paint it the same colour as the wall to visually lose it. What kind of fire is it, gas? If so, if you did have the budget you could consider a faux wood burning stove...
    sofadavidshelf thanked Victoria
  • sunnie2day
    10 years ago
    Looking at your floorplan and with the added knowledge that is the main entry to the house and progression to the kitchen, you may want to start off with creating a corridor after all.

Using furniture pieces like the grey Ikea sofa (aw, it's cute!) with a sofa table behind it facing the entry to create the perception of an entry is a quick and inexpensive way to differentiate between lounge-living room and pathway to other areas of the house. A large, fan shaped plant atop the sofa table, and you have entry way. I've seen it done that way, also with folding screens to completely block the view into the lounge.

It takes away some of the floor space but interestingly, has the effect of making the area look bigger because there are defined spaces in the area. (Oh right, that made a lot of sense, didn't it. Sigh)

If your budget for the electric fireplace doesn't include ripping it out (since it's not especially functional with just a bit of the occasional warm sigh), use it as a feature - group your chairs left, right, or surrounding it to create a conversation area or even a faux inglenook. If you put the sofa close enough (but not so close you lose the 'foyer' effect) it could be a very cosy, pretty arrangement. Some round occasional tables, maybe a designated 'reading nook' in that bay (?) window area.

Back to the fireplace, if you're not in love with the wood surround as is, you could paint, or drill in some decorative moulding - OR tile it (ooooh, there are some lovely tiles out there and fairly easy to install for even the most 'beginner' of DIYers).

Nice room, I love a blank canvas! I love the grey paint too, but it looks like there is a green-grey on your test strips there, have you thought about that for the room?
    sofadavidshelf thanked sunnie2day
  • shelleyuk
    10 years ago
    I really like your ideabook. Its clear you like soft greys, tan leather and a splash of colour. That's a really good basis for a room.
    sofadavidshelf thanked shelleyuk
  • shelleyuk
    10 years ago
    I think you need to be careful with those greys though. With our climate if you choose something with a lot of blue it will look very cold.
    sofadavidshelf thanked shelleyuk
  • syncope
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Disclaimer: I do not do grey. HOWEVER, I love love love your first inspiration pic. Those colors are wonderful together and that white brightens up what I normally feel is a very dreary color. Also love the warmth that the curtains and leather pieces bring in. Brilliant combination! Shelley is right on the money about making sure you don't go too blue. I checked on your ideabook and someone had already questioned the paint color (they usually do). Paint is 1468 Willow Creek from Benjamin Moore Aura. Not sure if BM is in the UK but I'm sure you could probably get a paint company there to match it.

Agree that the fireplace surround could be improved.

As you have already seen, you're going to get lots of advice. There was an article recently on Houzz of course about how to deflect advice that doesn't work for you. Respond with "um..no." Do NOT be afraid to say that. If you don't like something, it is more effective and useful to let everyone know so your time and theirs is not wasted on finding something that isn't going to be used in the end. We all have pretty thick skins around here and realize that it's your home and we definitely want you to be happy with the finished product. So give us all the feedback both negative and positive. Tells us what you do and don't like about something and that will help to guide everyone toward the best result possible.
    sofadavidshelf thanked syncope
  • nonnyparry
    10 years ago
    I have to agree with rngp. When my husband and I first got married we were sitting on deck chairs in our living room until we could afford to buy the sofa's that we wanted from Habitat. Fifteen years later they still look great and we are still sitting on them....
    sofadavidshelf thanked nonnyparry
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Hmm... some of the numbers don't really add up, but I think that this floor plan is close enough ;-) Just to give you an idea.
    Please don't buy a sofa you don't really like. Spend your money on things you dó like. Maybe you can't buy everything at once. Or perhaps you'll find a fabulous sofa in a second hand shop or on eBay. Who knows.

Anyway, I put in a Kivik 3-seater and ottoman, a Stockholm chair and an Expedit unit on its side for the TV.
    This table next to the chair http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006XE4ZMQ?psc=1
    Floorlamp next to the chair http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80255530/
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    and
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Can't be sure without having seen it in person, but if it is an electric fireplace (as you said), it's probably just standing in front of the wall and it's plugged into a socket. Have you checked if the surround is attached to the wall and if so, how it is attached? Who knows, removing it could be really easy and if the wall and floor leave an awkward gap, a unit for the TV can hide that until you have budget to change it. Can you ask the previous owner? Or do your neighbours know?
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Your fireplace looks suspiciously like this one, or maybe it's its brother, and I'm guessing it's just standing in front of that wall. Wouldn't that be great? You could put it up for sale :-)
    http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=528956
  • nonnyparry
    10 years ago
    If you are trying to keep costs down then painting the fire surround might be the answer. What you have now is very plain/inoffensive, the only thing to dislike about it (in my opinion) is the colour, and they're a good place to put a clock or favourite photos and ornaments.
    In terms of planning the space, in a small room it sometimes helps to keep the focal points together, in this case the fireplace and the TV.
    The only other thing is lighting, we've just moved into a house where the previous owners wired in a separate circuit on a dimmer in the living room for up to five table lamps. We don't have that many lamps, but even with what we do have, the diffuse light is so much easier on the eye. To be honest I think that getting the lighting right is as important as arranging the furniture.
    sofadavidshelf thanked nonnyparry
  • Victoria
    10 years ago
    Yes, TBH, if it it easy to lose the fire altogether, I would. It's making the rest of the layout more awkward.
  • sofadavidshelf
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm confused... I've posted a reply to this thread but it's only showing up when I'm logged in, so no one can see it...
  • sofadavidshelf
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks so much for the input everyone - can't tell you how helpful you've been. Update on progress below...(I ripped the fireplace out!).

@Victoria: I don't think I could fit a console table against the stairs but maybe a little tiny table with a lamp or plant on? I'll put the door-rehanging idea on hold for now as I'm already knee-deep in half-finished "what if I unscrew this thing?" projects around the house. Also thanks for suggesting a portiere rod - I'd never heard of those before and it could be just the thing for cutting down on drafts on dark winter nights!

@sunnie2day: Love the behind-the-sofa table idea! Officially stolen - I'm so doing that.
  • sofadavidshelf
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @shelleyuk: Thank you! Reassuring that someone else likes my colour ideas. Will have a look into pinky-greys maybe?
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Oh, have you ripped the fireplace out? And? Was it easy to do? Did it leave a gaping hole?
  • sofadavidshelf
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @rngp: Thank you! I think you're right about the 'make do' thing. I'll try to shift my focus to gradually getting a few quality pieces rather than filling the house with disposable rubbish at the first opportunity.
  • sofadavidshelf
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks also @nonnyparry for the comments on lighting (I can't think about that yet though! I'm stressed enough as it is!).

@carolins: I love your floorplan! In fact it inspired me to rip the fireplace out earlier today! Now maybe I could fit in another chair in the top-left corner mirroring the one you put in the bottom right. Thanks so much for going to the trouble. Thank you thank you thank you!You were also totally right about how easy it was to remove the electric fireplace!
  • sofadavidshelf
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So - latest update... I ripped the fireplace out. The electric fire bit was stupidly easy - I just pulled it forward and unplugged it! Wouldn't even have tried without you guys suggesting it. The surround was more tricky as it was glued/sealed to the plaster wall. In the end I just pulled and shook it til it ripped off, but I caused a bit of superficial damage to the plaster as a result. I'm so pleased the horrible fireplace is gone - this room is going to be 1000x easier and funner to decorate now. I think I'll put the TV more or less where the fire was and put the sofa facing it. Before that though I've got to repair the damage I've done to the plaster, somehow fix the gap in the skirting board, and put a rug over the absence of carpet. Photos below!
  • sofadavidshelf
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ok - that's everything up to date. I meant to post those replies yesterday but it seems they were blocked because I used a naughty word (one that starts with C and rhymes with wrap).
  • pfstone00
    10 years ago
    . Take wood off of fireplace and use it somewhere else, put up a simple wood mantel and a TV above that . fireplaces are great as backup heat. Mantel will make it homey and a focal point in room
    sofadavidshelf thanked pfstone00
  • pfstone00
    10 years ago
    Oops too late to keep fireplace maybe you can get entertainment cabinet to hide the "superficial damage "
    site
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    lol... yep, if you want to write words like c r a p, you should use a cunning trick ;-) Not that I'm suggesting you should use bad language :-) How incredibly cool that the fireplace came out so easy. Since that is the wall where your TV will go, a media cabinet (go for a long, sleek looking one that is not on feet, Ikea to the rescue again) will cover up the hole in the carpet and the skirting board.

A DIY store can probably give you advice on how to repair the plaster. Show them the photo, they will know which product you can use. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Are there any remnants of the carpet hidden somewhere in the attic maybe? Is the front door opening directly into the living room? Or is there an entry space that has the same carpet?
  • sofadavidshelf
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks carolins... I've had a close look at the plaster and once I've sanded off the remaining caulk/sealant and filled the little holes I'm pretty sure it'll paint up really smoothly with the rest of the wall. The skirting board will be a bit more fiddly but I think if I use some kind of putty at the joins it'll all blend in well enough once painted.

I'm in agreement about a long, low cabinet/bench thing of some kind. Maybe something about two-thirds the length of that wall, centred with the TV in the middle. I'm thinking wood on the lighter side of medium - more beige than orange. Ikea's birch-veneer stuff maybe? Ideally I'd find something a little bit industrial with reclaimed wood for that masculine aesthetic I'm keen on.

Good thinking on the carpet - yes there's a tiny entrance hall (about as big as a small under-stairs cupboard) but you know where else I could source some matching carpet? The bathrooms! Yep, the en-suite, the main bathroom, and the downstairs WC are all carpeted with the same stuff. Gives me the heebie-jeebies thinking about it. Looks like one of those is getting the flooring ripped up sooner rather than later.

@pfstone00: Thanks for your thoughts but I'm really pleased now I've killed the fireplace. Stupid thing was niggling me more than I realised and when I put a TV there the room will have one main focal point rather than two competing ones.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    How about this? Looks good on screen. Maybe two next to each other? Could use it as extra seating if you need it.
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30247665/
  • qam999
    10 years ago
    Bravo on the fireplace! Well done! Lesson is, if things simply don't work for you functionally or aesthetically, then out they go.

I must echo what others have said about buying a sofa you already think ugly....DON'T. An ugly sofa will drag your whole room down as it is such a visible presence. Most likely that you'll grow to hate it more, day by day. In addition, as much as I love IKEA for certain categories, their upholstery tends not to be a good buy looking at the price/value ratio...the cushions tend to lose their shape and be wrinkled and slumped, the fabric tends to be dull and cheap looking, and those factors can brig the room and the look down faster than even an ugly color or shape.

Better to make do and wait while avidly shopping. I'd check Craigslist, 3rd hand sources etc. as well.
    sofadavidshelf thanked qam999
  • sofadavidshelf
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hey carolins - great find. That could work... especially as it says it's compatible with some drawer units for concealed storage as well as TV-peripherals. And the price is right too...

soberg - thanks for that comment - really drives home the point. Tidafors sofa, you are out of here! The sub-£500 price was appealing, but for 2x that money I could probably find a sofa I like 10x more...
  • Victoria
    10 years ago
    Been offline most of the weekend, was going to suggest a low media unit but Carolins got there first. Will make it so much easier to layout your room, again Carolins has made some great suggestions.
    You will be so glad to have removed fireplace. I had a lounge like that years ago and we didn't have one. Changing the hang of the door to the kitchen can be done later. Great start!
  • pfstone00
    10 years ago
    takes a village
  • sofadavidshelf
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here's the same unit carolins suggested side by side with another, and nine white drawers added. Bumps the price up to close to £500 but it could be something to work towards...
  • Victoria
    10 years ago
    Looking good, thing is, you can start with one and buy another later...
    Might need something to give a bit of height.
  • sofadavidshelf
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Or something like this comes just under £300 and leaves a bit more space at the sides for chairs etc.
  • Victoria
    10 years ago
    Also, if you wanted you could stack them...
  • syncope
    10 years ago
    Another area to check for carpet is the back of a closet. You may be able to take it from there without having to redo anything for the moment and save the money for furniture instead of flooring.
    sofadavidshelf thanked syncope
  • sunnie2day
    10 years ago
    Wow, you got that faux fireplace gone! There is a compound you buy at the DIY centre that you trowel into the holes a bit at a time until your wall and the compound meet level - very easy and rather fun especially for a lady able to rid herself of a faux fireplace:) Sand smooth, and paint - EZ-PZ! And fun, did I mention fun?

On the skirting board, make a template by placing a sheet of A4 on each jig then measure the space from jig to jig AND below the curve to curve. Take that to Wickes, the nice young man/woman in the timber department may be willing to cut a piece of skirting board for you that you can carry home and wedge into place. Some Wickes differ in policy on cutting timber for customers. I live near Dundee and they have been lovely about it for me but you may not have the same luck, so with the traced off jigs and measurements you can 'do this at home'. Which is also fun. Very empowering, using power tools:)

I'm with Victoria re some height somewhere on that wall, or do you have some art you're planning to use?
    sofadavidshelf thanked sunnie2day
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Thought you might like this pic I just came across...
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Next (I obviously only know them from their online shop) seems to have nice sofas?
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Came across another pic that you might like. I love the idea of a big canvas or poster standing on the media cabinet.
  • sofadavidshelf
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks guys for the tips on the skirting board, carpet, and TV-bench wall. Loving that last pic carolins - would be great to find a space for a huge canvas somewhere in the living room.

Re: the living room wall I've been putting some ideas together and I'm thinking maybe wall-mounted shelves above the bench. I'm not keen on IKEA's floating 'Lack' line as the shelves themselves are too chunky at 5cm think, which leaves me looking at options with visible brackets. Also, I've been looking at IKEA's 'Ribba' picture-ledge which looks like a great way of leaning art, photos, and attractive books against the wall. Loads of pictures on my pinterest boards (linked above) but here are a couple more. What do you think? I've never bothered with wall-mounted shelves before because until now I've always rented, so I've no idea how to fit them, or what sort of weight they can bear. I don't want to be worrying about them falling off the wall or caving my house in...

Loads of inspiration:

Bohemian Apartment Blue Shelving · More Info

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/479281585316122185/

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/479281585316123494/

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/479281585316164297/

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/479281585316164260/

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/479281585316164186/

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/479281585316163841/

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/479281585316164238/

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/479281585316156139/

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/479281585316156108/

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/479281585316156080/

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/479281585316156076/

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/479281585316148220/

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/479281585316153138/
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Sofadavid, I just started following one of your boards, the one with the Besta units, on Pinterest. I'm 'just me' on Pinterest if you're wondering.
    I've never put up a shelf in my life either, but it can't be difficult since my husband can do it ;-) Powertools and I don't mix. Don't you have handy friends or family who can help you?
  • Victoria
    10 years ago
    Shelves are easy, just make sure you have a spirit level! Floating shelves pretty much always look better than ones with brackets. Also long shelves look flimsy if too thin. Packaging should normally give a guide as to amount they'll hold. Make sure you but the correct fixings for your wall type, will probably be plasterboard.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Since you like an industrial look, have you seen this on Pinterest? It's a DIY project. I wanted to send you the pin, but that didn't work.
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/144044888055755521/
  • PRO
    Emma_mostafaa
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi , I am an interior designer and I can Help you to design your home. I can provide you a 3D view for your layout.

emma.mostafa@comelite.net

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.