plantkiller_il_5
4 years ago

Oh why did you die ?

picea abies 'Fritsche' in the ground MANY years

ron

Comments (11)

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    4 years ago

I will refrain from making snarky remarks about your alias! ;-)

I hate to lose mature plants. So upsetting.

plantkiller_il_5 thanked Sara Malone Zone 9b
  • plantkiller_il_5
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

snark away , sara . when I joined here 5 yrs. ago , that's how I felt , but

this guy makes no sense,,, not even a brown twig year after year

david must be right,,, I will look closely when I hoik it outta there

ron

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    4 years ago

I've had some do that after 15-20 years that a root autopsy didn't account for. I've put them down to graft failure...for lack of a better explanation.

tj

plantkiller_il_5 thanked tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
  • maackia
    4 years ago

"probably girdled roots. Quite often it can take a decade or more to strangle a plant."

I've planted more root-bound trees due to poor container culture than I'd like to admit. I do my best to loosen the roots, but in some cases it is almost impossible to free them. I've been at my current garden for eight years, so I might be in for some bitter disappointments over the next few years.

• plantkiller_il_5
    Original Author
    4 years ago

it's just that this blows the " Mutt & Jeff " effect

what will I replace it with ?

ron

• maackia
    4 years ago

Do you have P. heldreichii 'Smidtii'? I'm not sure of the spelling on this pine, but I suspect you know which one I'm referring to. BTW, I was recently at Hornbaker Gardens outside Princeton, IL, and much to my surprise they had a couple of nice specimens for sale. I had zero room to haul plants back to Wisconsin, but I'm going to check it out later this spring/summer.

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    4 years ago

Here's a 'Smidtii'...

• maackia
    4 years ago

It looks healthy and happy.

• Embothrium
    4 years ago

It being a spruce I'd first wonder about a sucking pest infestation. But definitely wash the roots and look at the base of the plant. A lot of grafted stock I see offered at outlets here has bad root knots right at the base of the stem. This is not limited to grafted conifers, or even grafted plants - commercially produced, cutting raised camellias for instance have been some of the worst I have encountered.

• plantkiller_il_5
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

This plant was from Greer Gardens who got plant mat'l from Stanley ,,, BUT

something tj said lit a spark ,,, last year I put down wood chips ,, I was carefull as I worked the shovel tip around the plant , but remember the whole plant rocking back & forth as I worked instead just parts deflecting,,,wow , maybe I broke his neck

bummer , ron

yes , have smidtii

Sponsored
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.