webuser_212479571

Paint scheme & woodwork

last year
last modified: last year

I'm redecorating my house following a theme of calm, timelessness, tradition, and nature - focusing on the bedrooms and hallway first. I'll be painting the walls in Little Greene Portland Stone Light, and replacing the darkwood doors with oak.

My dilemma is what to do with the woodwork; The trims and beams are currently pine wood stained dark, from my parents 1980s renovation and I feel these are a little dreary/dated now. The stairs/landing are in a warmer teak wood, and in beautiful condition, so I'm unsure whether to paint these.

I'm considering these options:

Option 1: Paint the stained pine woodwork the same colour as walls

Use the same colour as the walls for skirtings, architraves and beams i.e. Portland Stone Light. The skirtings are not especially decorative, and the ceilings not that high. Using the same colour will provide a uniform canvas that elongates the bedrooms, and will help any antique pieces of furniture stand out. In addition, this will help the teak stairs/landing stand out as a feature.

However, will oak doors look good against stone-colour trims?

Option 2: Paint trims in a paler version of the wall paint

These would contrast with the walls, and perhaps set off the oak doors better? The beams can be painted same colour as walls. However, will having paler trims by the teak stairs/landing create conflict?

Option 3: Replace trims with oak trims

These can blend with the new oak doors, and smarten the aesthetic?

A downside is that oak trims in the hallway might clash too much with the teak stairs/landing.

There are also a number of dark wood platforms in the hallway that I'm unsure how to treat.

Thanks for any feedback!

Jane

Comments (14)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.