dixie_pretty89

Teal and Yellow Kitchen..Dining room Color?

Katelyn Remaly
9 years ago
Hi! So I painted my kitchen teal and yellow....but now I don't know what color my dining room should be!?!?! Please help!!!!

Comments (39)

• User
    9 years ago
    Can you show the furniture. I think the blue is too much, but pictures don't always tell the story.
    Katelyn Remaly thanked User
  • Katelyn Remaly
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    that is the only thing in my kitchen. The teal is actually darker than that...its just a bad picture.
  • Related Discussions

Need help choosing colour for feature wall in kitchen/dining room

Q

Comments (9)
    I love this colour but think that you won't notice the dark kitchen cabinets. To make your existing furniture stand out I think you need contrast. I think the earlier suggestion of orange is fun but to include the Brinjal I would paint the walls green and then add pops of the brinjal. Perhaps if you get some light picture frame add a border of brinjal to give them more presence. Alternatively hang inexpensive canvasses - I would choose three long thin ones and paint one and either wall paper in a similar colour or staple on fabric to add pattern.
    ...See More

Bringing together colours in kitchen/living/dining room

Q

Comments (14)
    Hi Tracey, if you want some advice, we do online interior designs at a very affordable price (starting at £50 per room). We can send you a moodboard with all the elements and how they would fit together, choose a colour scheme that works, etc Once you are happy with the design, we would send you the shopping list with all the elements and where to get them online. We would adapt to your budget so you only spend what you have in mind. Have a look at our website and let us know if you are interested! www.lucianasanchez.com
    ...See More

Colours for east-facing kitchen/dining room

Q

Comments (43)
    Karen, thank you. I liked Mole’s breath and will put it on a samples board. But I think I might also try and squeeze in my blue wall, or at least see how Oval room blue (suggested on F&B website) work on the opposite wall. I already have a sample. Sonia might be pleased that at least someone might be using Oval room blue after all. 😁
    ...See More

Teal in a north facing room

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi Kathy, teal sofas will look fabulous in a North facing room scheme, and I agree that the wall colour needs to be a lighter shade rather than an intense colour. I think you should consider warmer colours without any grey undertones. I use Neptune's Timber paint pallet in a number of my schemes, as these are the most neutral tones with a red base that’s warm and will go beautifully with teal. If you like tones of pink, then try Lick's (White 06) chalk white with a touch of pink, this would look beautiful with your teal sofas, accessorised with pink and natural cushions and throws. Good luck! Louise
    ...See More
  • lefty47
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    HI -- The teal on he wall is fine , maybe a little overpowering ... but " not " on the bulkhead , it's too much and distracting. You could paint the bulkhead the same as the yellow walls or a color the same as the cabinets and that will give the cabinets more height. Or a charcoal would even look better .
    Katelyn Remaly thanked lefty47
  • Katelyn Remaly
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    thanks for the advice. But i REALLY love the teal on the bulk head.....Just want to know what colors would look nice for a dinning room next to the kitchen.
  • sharondpalmer
    9 years ago
    Use the right tone of orange. One that will work w/ the yellow and teal. Pull it all together w/ the right print fabric on your dining room chairs (assuming they have upholstery) or window dressings.
    Katelyn Remaly thanked sharondpalmer
  • User
    9 years ago
    [houzz=
    Green, Yellow and Red, Striped Contemporary Upholstery Fabric By The Yard · More Info
    ]

Find a fabric first, (see attached) that gives you a number of options and pick your favorite. If not a fabric, then perhaps a painting or picture. Either way, you'll have a more cohesive look.
    Katelyn Remaly thanked User
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    Katelyn, it's hard to advise on a dining room color when we don't think the kitchen works. You've got a really powerful color next to a wimpy color, and then some white which looks like a leftover remnant. If you love this color combo, I'd go all the way and paint the leftover white on the ceiling and bottom of bulkhead the same yellow as the walls. Then look at paint chips from the same color families for the dining room. You might try a more intense version of your yellow or a more muted version of the teal.
  • Katelyn Remaly
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    we actually did paint the ceiling! I just didnt take a picture of it after that was done! Thanks yall for the advise. I LOVE Teal so i think thats probably what we will do with the dining room! not a fan of orange and really thought the lighter yellow with a loud teal looked nice......
  • Katelyn Remaly
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you Margo! I guess i just needed a little assurance that I knew what I was doing! This is my first home! so i am overwhelmed
  • User
    9 years ago
    Hold on Katelyn- I did not say that I agreed with the whole paint scheme. I agree with the others that the yellow is to whimpy to go with the teal. You said you loved teal. Are you open to changing the yellow?
  • User
    9 years ago
    Why not all teal?
    A Kitchen for the Whole Family · More Info
  • Katelyn Remaly
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    ohh!! thats pretty! you know i could do a brown and teal in the dinning room! the way my townhouse is laid out i have to carry my paint color upstairs to the 3rd floor because if i just stopped at the steps it wouldnt look good! i wish i had a picture of my dinning room but i dont have a good one.
  • makaloco
    9 years ago
    Hmmm, I like the teal and yellow together in the darker room with the window. Is that the dining room? I'd probably add terra cotta or brick red accents. In the kitchen, the teal seems too bright in the stronger lighting and doesn't really work with the counter, but if you love it, that's what's important. I painted my kitchen rust red and indigo with creamy yellow, so I'm the last person to criticize others' color choices!
  • Katelyn Remaly
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    ok everyone! here are the pictures of my living room....i attached the photo of my stairs because the wall to the left is part of the dinning room. This is why whatever color i pick it will have to be carried upstairs.
  • PRO
    FIFTYEIGHT Interiors
    9 years ago
    Katelyn, Do you have furniture for your dining room?
  • Katelyn Remaly
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    i do but its just a dark "wood" dining set that is square. but thats all that is in there
  • PRO
    FIFTYEIGHT Interiors
    9 years ago
    The color in your dining room is about to command the entire home. You should paint the same yellow in your kitchen. Here is what you will need to do to help balance the space. You need darker teal draperies that blend with your kitchen color. Make sure they are at least 18" outside of the existing window frame and go from floor to ceiling. Find a rug with a pattern in teal and off white or even teal and your carpet color. This will start marrying the two rooms together. Do you have a picture of your dining chairs?
  • Katelyn Remaly
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    not at the moment but i can do that this afternoon
  • PRO
    FIFTYEIGHT Interiors
    9 years ago
    This rug is from Surya. You can find it at http://www.rugstudio.com/surya-abigail-abi-9065-neutral---blue---green-area-rug.aspx If you can fit an 8' x 11' would be best. If not your only other option is the 5' x 8' You can also find other rug options.
  • hayleydaniels
    9 years ago
    An easy way to figure out what color to paint your dining room to go with the teal [which I LOVE BTW!] is to go to a paint website, pull up that shade of teal, and see what coordinating colors are recommended. The great thing about doing that is that you will end up with the same undertones so you know the colors work together. Behr.com has a lot more coordinating colors than most so try their site.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    You have a nice kitchen but that teal. Is taking away from it. Don't use accent colors in small spaces. Or at all. You can do a darker shade of same paint, yellow. When rooms run together must be same color just a shade up,or down color chip.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Instead of that white cabinet next to stove get a stainless counter cart on wheels, I think Ikea carries. You need counter space next to a stove. Go against stove. No space like now. Use big art on walls or out up long shelves.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    A new round ceiling lite Ikea in white with stainless. Would work over 18" just remove one you have and attach.
  • greenyogini
    9 years ago
    I have a similar issue with "shared" walls in my home - truly, my entire first floor and stairwell leading up share walls (and I'm still figuring out how to deal with it). For someone who loves color (but doesn't want to pick just one), it's a pretty big design dilemma, I know!

One option is to use a more neutral color that complements the teal on all of the walls, and then use teal in your accessories. I know this means repainting and probably isn't what you're going for, but it's an option.

Another option - and one many people will sneer at ;) - is to paint the walls that do not flow to another room in whatever color you want (I'm guessing the teal ;) ), then keep the shared wall the same color as the other room (I think that's the stairs, but I'm having trouble picturing it). It's an unusual choice, but then, some of us like unusual things. :) It looks like you may have already tried to do this, with the yellow and teal meeting in the kitchen. (But then I guess I'm confused...it looks as if the dining room is already painted in the teal and yellow...?)

A third option is to create a faux break in the wall with a vertical molding where the room technically ends, or where you want the color to end. (I would suggest doing this outside the kitchen, so that the kitchen and dining room could share that lovely teal color.) I'm not a fan of this idea for my own space, but I've seen it work in other spaces. It gives you the option to treat the room as if it had no shared walls.

It looks like the trend in advice here is that not everyone sees what you see in the color combo, and really, it could be just a matter of camera & monitor color displays. If you love it, rock it! :D If you're not sure, there are a ton of color resources that might help you to find some stronger yellow tones or other neutrals that may work for your space and your taste. (If you find one, though, you may decide you want to paint all the way up the hallway...and I know, that's exactly one of my home painting issues as well. I currently have a hallway where a brighter white and a creamy linen meet because I'm not looking forward to painting every single room that shares a wall!)

Bottom line, if it were my home, I would paint the entire kitchen and dining room space the teal (I *love* the teal image Margo shared above), and then I would create some sort of break to separate the hallway color from the kitchen/dining room color.

Whatever you do, have fun with it and make it yours! :)
    Katelyn Remaly thanked greenyogini
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    The round lite would be in kitchen. Get a hanging light for dining area. Round 24" hang 36" above table. Stay in same theme as kitchen. Ikea. Add panels to each end of window. Can go a print. White with a chevon print. In yellow.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Get over the range microwave, in stainless for stove. Then just get rid of a the thing next to stove. Doesn't look like you have much room. You will have to go very small 24" round dining table, with 2 small chairs a glass table would work. See ikea light go 18" for this space. A very tall 6 ft floor mirror on that wall ikea has one wide dark frame, just lean on wall. Centered. Will help with size.
  • flopsycat1
    9 years ago
    We also chose yellow and blue for our kitchen, with much more saturated colors. I think these colors balance one another. But, truly, it's your home. Go with what makes you happy.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    If you are hooked on Teal go for it like I said above in different shades. The yellow is not working. Don't go to dark this is a small area. Carry it upstairs too.
  • Katelyn Remaly
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Nancy, thank you for your advice. although the rooms look small, but they are actually quite big. All of my furniture was given to me so nothing matches at the moment. I am just starting out in my first home and just took what i could get for the moment
  • greenyogini
    9 years ago
    Katelyn, I know what it's like to have hand-me-down, mish-mash furniture in different styles that may not be your own - I'm still living with a lot of it, myself. You're doing great, though!

I can see that you already know how color affects the feel of a space :) , and since it's usually the easiest thing to change, it was a smart place to start. Design on a slim budget is tricky, but the key is to accessorize with colors and pieces you LOVE (especially if you don't yet love the furniture and decor), and then work piece by piece toward a goal. Hunting Craigslist, thrift shops, and curbs on trash day with a trained eye can really help in this regard, too! My favorite end table is a salvaged wooden table that I found by the side of the road with trash, in a horrific, not-quite-peachy-brown color - and I spray painted in a bright yellow. :D It only cost me the can of spray paint. Look for "good bones" - solid wood, metal, even particle board can be painted or covered in contact paper or fabric.

The most challenging designing experience I've had was when I moved in with a boyfriend who had completely opposite aesthetic preferences. But the experience stretched my ability to discover ways to make even the least ideal circumstances reflect more of my style and feel more like home. Have fun with this first experience - you'll learn a lot in the process, and no doubt whatever you choose now will probably morph a little down the road, so don't worry too much about having to make the perfect selection.

If you haven't already tried it, making inspiration boards can help to flesh out your color and layout ideas. I'm terrible with art and have no graphic design capabilities or software, but I use some free online tools to help me visualize my ideas, and it really helps me.

Keep up the great work, and keep posting your progress! :)
    Katelyn Remaly thanked greenyogini
  • M Audrey Dawn
    9 years ago
    Yup. I'm with the other comments that suggest you change out the teal on the bulkhead. It just doesn't look right at all. Otherwise the teal is a fun punch of colour. What about just carrying the yellow throughout the rest as well?
  • PRO
    Rooms About You Design Studio
    9 years ago
    I think I understand what you're trying to do in the kitchen - I would just say that the yellow is a little off in relation to the teal. I might try a more saturated yellow. If that isn't what you want to do, you might try stenciling the yellow walls with that same teal over the yellow. It could just be a back splash - a little goes a long way.
    Carry that idea into the dining room and up the stairs and you can transition to another color on the way up if you want a change upstairs.
    Katelyn Remaly thanked Rooms About You Design Studio
  • PRO
    Scott Homes, Inc
    9 years ago
    Also, if you want to have a lot of color but find it hard to transition, try doing one wall in each room a loud color and the rest of the walls in the room white. This could allow you to have different color schemes throughout the house without making your whole house one color.
    Katelyn Remaly thanked Scott Homes, Inc
  • Katelyn Remaly
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you everyone! i do plan on adding other things to counter-act the Teal and the yellow together. i will add curtains and kitchen decor that probably will calm it down. I think we also plan on doing a back splash of tile underneath the cabinets....eventually...work in progress! saving money!!!
  • Katelyn Remaly
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    But does anyone know what color the dinning room could be to look nice????
  • dianneeng
    9 years ago
    I hope I don't sound conservative but don't over kill, use the same yellow in the dinning room, if not a shade or two lighter but in the same hue. Add some teal accessory's not to much just a touch here and there. Place mats, glasses, or dishes. Keep it so you don't get tired of it.
  • Katelyn Remaly
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    great!!! Thank you soooo much for the advice!!!!! I just saw a dinning room that you described that i LOVE! And since i would have to carry that yellow upstairs for at least one wall i would be able to pair it nicely with maybe a tan for the main hallway upstairs. This is pictures of my house
  • sharondpalmer
    9 years ago
    Can you paint your dining room furniture instead of the room? Perhaps you should keep your walls neutral and let the furniture pick up the flow of the color.....
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.