plemme

New roof color

plemme
9 years ago
Hi, we're going to put on a new roof. We're replacing the garage doors as well. The new doors will be white with windows and black hardware. I've been thinking red roof but not sure that's the right route to take. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments (114)

• kellyslobodian
    9 years ago
    it is a pretty house,as is but know we all like change just keep alittle to one or other style.classic country pole barn or cape coastal colonial
    plemme thanked kellyslobodian
  • pjsmimi
    9 years ago
    How about going with your color scheme and instead of a white door, satisfy your wish for red with a red door ?
    plemme thanked pjsmimi
  • Related Discussions

advice on new roof for kitchen extension

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi It looks as if the extension may of been added at a later date. This may be why the soil pipe runs through the roof. You may be able to redirect this. And yes building regulations state that if roof has more than 50% taken off you must reinstate insulation. I'm a traditional metal roofer by trade, copper, zinc, stainless steel etc. Check out my website. nfmetalroofing.co.uk Regards Frank.
    ...See More

New roof

Q

Comments (0)
    I live in a ex council property and my roof is now in need of major repair work ,is there any financial assistance that I could apply for
    ...See More

Replacing a leaking roof with a new timber substrate

Q

Comments (0)
    The Famous Latymer Upper school in Hammersmith had on going issues in their canteen with water ingress penetrating through the failed metal profiled sheeted roof. Morgan Asphalt rectified the situation by replacing the defective roof with a new timber substrate, an insulation upgrade to improve the roofs U-value followed by 3 Layers of high Performance polymer Liquid Plastic coating. Before After The canteen roof is now guaranteed for 20 Years. Website
    ...See More

New replacement conservatory roof - damp issues

Q

Comments (1)
    Condensation is certainly possible, but suggests there is something no quite right in the construction - either insufficient insulation, inadequate ventilation, excessive moisture in the room for some reason, something amiss with damp-proofing or other possible reasons. It may be worth paying to get a surveyor to take a proper look and write a report. That would at least give you some solid information if you need to get the contractor to "make good", or raise an insurance claim.
    ...See More
  • mybullet
    9 years ago
    I'm a real estate agent and have had several clients in the past make negative comments about red roofs. I would go with a black or deep gray with different tones. The comment about painting your door red instead was excellent advice.
    plemme thanked mybullet
  • PRO
    Martin Cleaning
    9 years ago
    The stains on your shingles are algae, which can be cleaned to look brand new, and you will see the original light grey color again.
    plemme thanked Martin Cleaning
  • plemme
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Morning gang! Well you all convinced me not to go with Red, I am going to go with Black though. I tried every grey on the house that I could find (on the website I'm using which is fantastic, I can change roof color in 3 seconds) and the grey's just don't do it for me. I like the Moire Black in the Landmark certainteed series. I may paint my front door red as been suggested for that red spot I've been looking for.
  • Suzanne Sheldon
    9 years ago
    Yay! I think you're going to LOVE your red front door! That will be just the splash of color to add depth & drama to your lovely home. I think you'll also love your black roof. Now, to pick just the right shade of red! Good luck!
    plemme thanked Suzanne Sheldon
  • ithad2bu
    9 years ago
    Plemme: Very good choice! A red door would be just awsome!!!
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    9 years ago
    I'm glad, plemme, that you decided against the red roof. I was out and about yesterday and I did some side roads to see if I saw a red roof anywhere. I came across just one (on Rte 28 past the Orleans police station.). I don't think you would have been pleased had you gone with the red. I bet the planes landing at the Chatham airport use that roof as a land mark.
    plemme thanked JudyG Designs
  • plemme
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    LOL!! There's one of Harmes Way in Eastham that is actually on Houzz and it is beautiful, I don't know why I have such a thing for it....
  • PRO
    Bright Development
    9 years ago
    I just saw your pic and I already like the color combinations. It looks grounded and it looks rich. I would probably go darker in the roof; from a Charcoal Gray to something very dark, like Moire Black. I probably would not do white garage doors because it would start looking to cute; too Farmhouse. Instead go with a few shades darker than the house and trim the garage doors out to match the rest of your home. If you decide to paint your front door in a red I would lean to a cool red and not a warm red.
    plemme thanked Bright Development
  • plemme
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    The Moire Black is exactly what I'm going with, thanks for your ideas.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    9 years ago
    I know that house! And, I see why you like it so much. With all natural shingles, though and different heights of roof. That is a great spot!

Harms Way · More Info
    plemme thanked JudyG Designs
  • PRO
    Shadowcrest Roofing
    9 years ago
    Hello Plemme,
    Although we are not in your area we are happy to help. You have some great suggestions so far. Here is a list of companies we suggest that have excellent customer service and should be able to suggest a contractor in your area.

GAF is a company we have worked with for years the link allows you to see the shingles available in your area. http://www.gaf.com/Roofing/Residential/Roofing_Wizard

Also check out Owens Cornings DESIGNeye to get a better idea of what you want http://www.owenscorning.com/roofing/ .
    Their DESIGNeyeQ allows you to upload your home and put on the roofs you are interested to see a custom design. http://designeyeq.owenscorning.com/

For metal roofing we have found customers are shocked by the price of such a roof. While it does add a unique charm to a cute home, just be prepared to spend a little more. Custom Bilt Metals has an excellent customer service as well they should be able to find what your are looking for https://www.custombiltmetals.com/index.php

Good luck! We would love to see the before and afters when you are completed!
    Keep in Touch
    Amber - Shadowcrest Roofing - San Marcos, CA
  • Randy Reed
    9 years ago
    Okay, beware of the warranty with roofing companies. If you read through GAF's warranty for example it depreciates 86% in 18 years and they all have exclusions for faulty installation which allows roofing manufacturer's to rarely cover a roof. I prefer Owens Corning shingles and seek a preferred contractor which gives you a non-prorated warranty and an independent inspection to assure it was done correctly.

Metal is for barns, imho. Many homes aren't constructed for the weight, they plop the metal over your existing roof and often don't properly address ventilation. They look bad when they fade as well. Ice can form and cling to the metal also.
  • Suzanne Sheldon
    9 years ago
    I live in Vermont & two of my friends had metal standing seam roofs put on their houses. They love them. One is only a few years old, the other must be around twenty.
  • plemme
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I had no interest in a metal roof....that is real out of character for my area, many Winters we barely get any snow. I have a contractor already and hopefully he's starting in a couple of weeks which is why I needed to pick my roof color. I appreciate everyone's help!!
  • Ridae
    9 years ago
    black roof
    plemme thanked Ridae
  • Ridae
    9 years ago
    or dark brown
  • PRO
    COLD AND DAMP SEAL
    9 years ago
    We are in the UK and act as Agents for Nansulate who are based in Floriday have an excellent range of thermal protective coatings in various colours , www.coldanddampseal.co.uk
  • dawnrbrownlee
    9 years ago
    We had the same problem. We had a red shingle roof and live in the woods. It had black all over it from the trees etc.. We installed a black metal roof to go with the shutters. We love it! Even when it's dirty from the trees it looks gray. And when the sun shines on it sometime it gives a silver look. Pretty good for reflecting off the sun for cheaper utilities. At the time I was so worried. I stayed up at night thinking that it would make our utility bill sky rocket. The red roof was pretty in the snow but stayed dirty with streaks all the time. And even if it is a red metal roof it will show dirt more. And I would get tired of it!
  • plemme
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Dawn. I wasn't thinking of a metal roof at all, not for my area. I did decide to go with a black roof, I like the richness of the color and will paint my doors red.
  • Bro Fist
    9 years ago
    I think the red roof pm vollmar showed would fit right in. but metal could be great too. it depends on your taste. find what color you think would fit the best and mess with the hues until you get something you like. it also depends on the surroundings and seasons. if you feel that red blends in the colors of the surroundings where you live and that it would also look great during the summer and during the fall then go for it! :)
  • roblesrosa
    9 years ago
    I THINK THE RED WOULD LOOK AMAZING. The METAL ROOF WOULD GIVE IT AN INDUSTRIAL LOOK WHICH DOES FIT THE HOME.
  • nasmijati
    9 years ago
    I am pleased to read you will not be getting a red metal roof. I live in the Southwest USA. Red metal roofs fade.
  • buddenz
    9 years ago
    Black steel roof! I once visited Cape cod and I am in the process of building my own house and I designed my whole house from pictures I took while I was there :) I am trying to upload a photo but it will not allow me to.
  • Margery
    9 years ago
    What on earth do you mean ROBLESROSA...an industrial look fits a Cape Cod house? Her house also has a serious case of MOLD on the shake side! She'll wait til doomsday for it to weather/grey out...that requires an open to the elements, exposure to salt spray and sunshine. IF you like red use it somewhere but NOT on that roof please! Reds
    DO fade and it just does not look good on that Cape house. You tackle the mold with a strong power was using a mildew preventitive then STAIN it! There is no cheap way out of that condition!
  • lapper
    9 years ago
    weathered rock architectural shingle by BP
  • hookie
    9 years ago
    red is great!
  • PRO
    foster's enterprise
    9 years ago
    its great being apart of this online movenent
  • Stephanie Inselberg
    9 years ago
    paint the front door red and do a gray architectural single... they have one that has red tones, light and dark gray in it. good luck
  • plemme
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Alabamagal....if you look at the picture above posted by JudyGDesigns you'll see a house that is beachfront with a red roof, it's stunning and is a beach house. I've decided not to go with a red roof. I don't have a mold problem thank you......many houses here have the same thing on their shingles and the shingles are 30-40 years old. No issues, no problems.
    Everyone else I never intended on going with a metal roof, not sure where that started. I was going to go with Red Asphalt shingles. In all my years of Real Estate I've only seen one house with a metal roof in my area and it looked very strange, just not a local thing here. Metal Roofs are perfect in the locations they're meant for but Cape Cod isn't one of them. I have decided to go with a black roof...I just personally don't like the grays for my house, I've tried them on a great website that I could download my own house picture.
  • Suzanne Sheldon
    9 years ago
    A gray roof would make your house look like a blob. I think you are wise to have chosen black, which you did & I assume is a done deal! I think you've made that clear, as well as not going for a metal roof, which makes sense in your region. I mentioned metal roofs, because someone criticized them. In Vermont, on the right house, they can look great. Personally, my house has a slate roof. (As a slate salesman, my husband insisted on it. He LOVES slate & so do I.)
    plemme thanked Suzanne Sheldon
  • plemme
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Love Slate!!! When I've gone up North I also really like the look of metal roofs, they make perfect sense with the heavy snow.
  • glynisross
    9 years ago
    I painted my stucco house a dark grey/green with charcoal coloured metal roof & lower 1/3 of house same charcoal colour then stripped the electric blue paint off the wooden front door & stained it matte chinese red with new black hardware- I think it looks great. When I first bought the place the house was muddy yellow colour with brown asphalt shingles - very ugly lol!
  • soadh hamdy
    9 years ago
    what about dark green ???
  • PRO
    Titan AC
    9 years ago
    Dark green would look fantastic!
  • plemme
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I'm going with Moire Black, we are getting new trim as well, going with white Aztec boards. I will probably paint my front door red.
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    great idea. you won't be sorry. It will be beautiful
    plemme thanked sandradclark
  • PRO
    COLD AND DAMP SEAL
    9 years ago
    ESOS Legislation will take Nano-Tech Energy Saving Coatings to the next level there is really no alternative , being so efficient and cost effective , it could turn some companies balance sheets from negative to positive . graham@coldanddampseal.co.uk
  • PRO
    COLD AND DAMP SEAL
    9 years ago
    The British Bee population is under threat , we can also help with this problem
  • PRO
    Mark A. Demmerle Architecture + Building
    9 years ago
    Cedar Wood SHAKES stained transparent black.
  • PRO
    Allura USA
    9 years ago
    Curious what you decided on?!
  • plemme
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I decided on Moire Black, there will always be a little piece of me wondering what the red would have looked like though. My roof was so busy this fall that the job won't be done till April now...
  • Suzanne Sheldon
    9 years ago
    Well, I would rather have a crew working on my house exterior in warmer weather than working fast to get done & out of the cold. Now you have spring flowers AND a new roof to look forward to! Happy Holidays plemme!
  • plemme
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Me too Suzanne and also a roof is suppose to settle down by the shingles sticking to one another and that's not going to happen in weather below 40 degrees, We haven't had any sun since the end of November so a roof would have never really "stuck". I want it done correctly, this is going to cost around 15,000 bucks!
  • Suzanne Sheldon
    9 years ago
    So often things don't happen just exactly as we had hoped, but most of the time we are then able to choose a much better alternative. At that price, you want your roof perfect!
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    9 years ago
    plemme! Surprise, I see sun! I am blinded! Fingers crossed for the rest of the week!

I am off to Eastham in a few minutes. Grabbing a quick coffee with a friend who lives on the Cove.
  • plemme
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    It's shocking!! Haven't had this much sun in weeks!
  • docturner
    7 years ago

Landmark Pro Max Def Heather Blend would be perfect

• plemme
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi docturner, this is an old entry, the roof has been on for 14 months and I went with black and we did all the trim in white.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.