emmelinewe

Hands up if you have a wood-burning stove!

Emmeline Westin
10 November, 2014
I don't know about you, but it's getting really cold outside! To combat the freezing temperatures (I'm exaggerating a bit), we think a wood-burning stove would do the trick. It offers the right amount of cosiness you need from November to February.

Is your house equipped with one? Or is it on your wish/want/need list?

Fife steading conversion · More Info

• anniefrannie
    I have two wood burning stoves and I love them - they make the rooms fantastically cosy. Will be building a wood storage shed in the courtyard soon - thinking of attaching some trellis to the side of it so that I can hide my bins there. Is this a good idea? Haven't seen it done elsewhere so wondering if there is a reason not to do this which I haven't thought of yet....
  • sloeginfizzz
    We have one in the corner of the kitchen - love it - it makes the room toasty and cosy on a winters evening! The dog is a fan too!
  • Laura
    I do love mine, but we had one because my partner really wanted one. I do miss the convenience of a gas fire; particularly when you only want to warm the room for an hour or so, or control the temperature.
  • Jane Bateman
    We put a Clearview Pioneer 400 into our last house (a 70's dorma) the existing flue couldn't be used, so a pipe went up straight up through the house. We moved a couple of years ago and put the same model into our 1830's farm cottage.
    Warm, suggly and very efficient.
  • onceupon
    We moved from a cottage with open fires to our dormer bungalow 5 years ago. Straight away we really missed the real warmth from the fire's we left behind. The chimney's in the bungalow had been removed to allow for the eaves to be refurbished into bedrooms and bathrooms.

My dad was working in his retirement at Chase Heating who provided amongst many solid fuel heat and cooking appliances a large selection of wood burning stoves, he suggested we look at stoves as an alternative, we did and have not looked back since. We decided to have the chimney going up through the inside of the bungalow instead of through and up the outside wall, now our whole home benefits from the warmth the stove and chimney provide.

Now we use the stove as our main source of heating throughout the year.
    Were thinking of putting an inset stove in our guest bedroom too.
    Property Solutions & Development Ltd
    I have a wood burning stove, it has a back boiler built in to it. The wood burning stove is linked to my thermal store (big hot water tank), it runs my underfloor heating and hot water. It's my primary heat source during the winter, I have an air source heat pump too, which also runs my UFH and hot water when the stove is not lit.
    The best retro-fit option in my opinion. It's so economical to run.
  • beach317
    Gas fired Mini Franklin vented for smaller room. Approximatley 6,500 btu max
  • peediewee
    here's a pic of ours
    stovedesign

I love them and now build bespoke stoves full-time as an outlet for my sculpture... Here's 'Nautilus' in its display frame at the Mall gallery, London

• Natalie Patton
    I don't but I'd give my arm for one I think they're stunning and make a room feel so comfortable. They feel very traditional. I imagine a winter day watching old movies with the fire on drinking hot chocolate and a big dog laying on a rug in front of the fire.... In the UK this is most days
  • Nicole Ormrod

i have one & I love it but I don't love wood chopping & the sheer amount of garden ive lost due to drying out the wood & storing it ,

• Carol Herald
    Can they be put where an existing gas fire is ?
  • HU-807130

I have converted a parkray coal fired boiler to take one metre lengths of timber with a slide-in cleanburn wood stove. Now our electricity bill goes DOWN wintertime as immersion isn't used..

stovedesign

Here's one of mine, a recent install off-grid in wales - their only heat source and most of the time cooker! www.stovedesign.com/hornet

• louisa15

I just got a quote for one and nearly died of shock - what price should I expect to buy for stove + installation? And any recommendations? So far Clearview seem to come out top, but I haven't done too much research.

• Laura
    I paid £500 for the stove. £250 for a slate hearth. £650 for flue lining etc. in a two story Victorian terrace. £300 for installation.
  • louisa15

Thanks Laura. My quote is more than double that. When was this, and what area do you live in? I'm in central-ish London, so maybe that makes it more expensive?

• Laura
    Probably. I'm in South Wales. Had three quotes which were all the same
    Steam and Sauna Innovation
    Enjoying mine now! Although a sauna is good to warm you through as well. ;)
  • Louise Inglis
    We paid about £2.5K for our stove & installation in our old house (1960s semi near Bristol) the stove was about £900 & we had to have a fair bit of work done to the fireplace as there was an old gas back boiler in there before so the guys had to make good the brickwork, replaster the chimney breast, fit a new hearth etc, plus the chimney liner is about £40 per metre. I never regretted having it done though, it made the winter bearable & looked great, plus we only ever had the heating on low as it did such a good job of heating the open plan house. We're having a lovely Invicta Ove in our new home (a barn conversion) & I can't wait to light it & curl up by it for the first time, best thing about winter!
  • HU-807130

Bespoke wood burners starting at £475

• tamp75
    We had one installed about 6 weeks ago. 2 days after installation we had to move out to the in laws for renovation work to continue. Looking forward to using it when we get back home!
  • Doe Stewart
    We have a 1930's semi and have installed multi fuel stoves in both sitting rooms. We have left the back of the fireplace behind one stove as just sealed bricks, a more rustic look, whilst the other looks more modern.
    My husband has built 2 wood stores in the garden and both are full of well seasoned hardwood. A plastic coal bunker is full of smokeless fuel, a mix of home fire and anthracite.
    We are cosy and warm and the heat can be regulated by slightly closing the air vents on the stove. If we moved house we would definitely have a stove installed again.
  • Rob
    Would never be without one now
  • Yvonne Law
    Hi I am on my second one In 19 yrs I wore my 1st one out, I have the biggest Hunter Herald that runs 11 radiators and my hot water, I can honestly say I would not be without one I love mine.
  • Gary
    We fitt d one to our 1950s house... Another one to be fitted in the kitchen which will be a dual aspect one as it will sit between two rooms :)
  • Lauren

Our's arrived last week and its sitting downstairs waiting to be installed! 2k seems to be the general price point for stove and installation (I'm in west London) but a lot of that depends on what size/make stove you pick as they can vary enormously price wise. We're also going with someone willing to install stuff we've sourced ourselves rather than buying through them which makes it cheaper. Though not all companies will do this.

Can't wait!

• martinmcd21
    This is the one we've picked for the house we are currently building. It's Norwegian, a Jotul F373. Can't wait.

• martinmcd21

Might not be obvious from the pic but it has windows at the side too.

• mv5869

After a few days of reading up I'm definitely going to get one now.

I'm struggling what size to get. Our lounge is 5.5m x 5m and 2.6m high, so the calculators say 5kW is enough. But the lounge is always cold (2 outside walls, no double glazing and single brick walls (no cavity). Also I'd like to be able to leave the doors open and heat the hallway. Would 8-9kW be too much??

I love this one:

• mrsmcee74
    I think 5kw will be fine, they kick out a lot of heat. Our room is 7.5m X 3.5m with three external walls, two of which have enormous Windows. We do have double glazing and cavity wall insulation though. If that is any help? But a local company would be able to advise you more accurately.
  • Lauren
    It's also worth bearing in mind that anything larger than a 5kW stove requires an exterior firebrick to be put in. You can also look up the efficiency rating for most stoves which can help you find one that'll give you the most heat for the fuel given. I actually found some of the best known brands were less efficient, had shorter guarantees and were much more expensive than other smaller brands. I went for the Capital Sirius 405 classic clean burn in the end as all Capital stoves have a lifetime guarantee. Several installers I had round to quote recommended them as being fantastic quality.

Also whilst not relevant to your question you also need to check if you're in a smoke control area (most towns and cities are) in which case you'll have to get a defra approved stove.
  • mv5869

Decided on a 5kW Jotul F100 in the end. I love the traditional look of it and it gets some good reviews.

Newbridge Heating Centre

I have got to say that I fitted a stove to my house in Stirling-shire and loved it. It meant the room was warmer than it had been even when the stove wasn't on. When I sold my house it sold quicker than another house in the village which didn't have one.

Provided it is fitted by a properly qualified engineer, then it will add value to the house. I was so pleased with it I went to work for the firm who fitted it, and got into the industry.

Like everything you get what you pay for and it is worth spending a bit more to get a stove that will work as efficiently 12 / 20 years after its install as it did on day one. I would recomend Jotul, Scan, Charnwood, Chesney, and Euroheat.

• Coco Nuts

Coincidentally we are installing our wood burning stove today. Ours will be heating our numerous rads as well. We also have a wood pellet heating system. Our stove was €1,000 and we had a granite hearth made to match our ubatuba granite kitchen work tops (€180). Handy hubby does all the fitting himself.

• Daisy England
    Yes at work
  • Angie
    We had a stove fitted about a year ago and have no regrets. It's so lovely to have on when it's chilly and we often light it just because we like it!
    Angie
  • Caroline Murphy

I had one fitted this year. Love it but it isn't a matter of turning on the gas fire any more. Also, cleaning every day..

Floors of Stone

We have an Esse stove to heat our showroom and we love it! It makes the space so cosy and inviting. Even better, we use the off cuts of wood from our sister company deVOL Kitchens to fuel it.

Hana Snow
    The log burner is in the heart of our home, in a open plan living / dining / cooking space, the warmth reflects on the floorboards and i can drag a chair in front of it to curl up and cosy.
    I would love to ask any advice on the best type of slow burning logs to buy?
  • pdando
    Moved to a 1970's bungalow. Had walls taken out to make open plan lounge,dining room and kitchen. Had a wood burner fitted in one corner .......Can see it from all angles of the room. Love it.
  • pdando
    Another view of my wood burning stove . Love it at Christmas
  • Mandy Ross
    Love mine ❤
  • Maryjane Smith
    We had this one fitted in our hall extension. Love it!!