babydolphin

Need help choosing colours for living room

Karen
11 years ago
Hello :)
Our living room is 18' by 12', we have two alcoves either side of a chimney breast which is 4', so each alcove is 7' in width.
Artexed ceiling, coving, laminate flooring and new white vertical radiator are all staying. In the picture showing the TV and radiator, that window will be replaced with patio doors (white, sliding). Think I've managed to upload pic in initial stages showing the sunlight we will get each morning :) We have dark brown leather seating, two chairs and and large three seater settee. The corner shelves are coming down and the dado rail has been removed too.

Furniture: we have dark solid wood sideboard (hidden under drape but matches TV unit) the TV unit and a similar large coffee table with 12 drawers and a lift up section, so quite a large item.
I would really like to introduce some colour into this room. I really like the idea of a red wallpaper, possibly a floral (cherry blossom?) but my main problem is that if I paper the alcoves or even the whole fireplace wall, what would I use on the remaining three walls?
I cant just paint since the walls condition is not smooth enough. We don't have time (work restrictions) to replaster the walls I'm afraid so we need to use some kind of blown vinyl paper...or are there any options I'm missing.
I had thought of maybe buying the same wallpaper but in two colours. Superfresco do a Cherry blossom in red, but also in silver on white, anyone think this would work?
I am also contemplating about putting the TV above the fireplace, therefore freeing up the alcove by the patio doors. Obviously then the cables could be put through the chimney breast before we decorated but we'd need shelving of some kind for the various electronic gadgetry . Struggling to find anything that would go with the furniture we already have but I quite fancy having another large piece of furniture, a higher piece with bookshelves.
Im open to any of your ideas.
Karen
(Tried to add this yesterday but am bit o

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.