mshercliff

Concealing gas meter

Mark Shercliff
9 years ago
I'm after some advice regarding how best to conceal a gas meter situated in an alcove in the living room. Currently it is boxed in with some custom cabinetry. However, we don't like it. It is too tall, doesn't fill the whole alcove and for some bizarre reason the front is set at a weird angle. In the other alcove sits the electricity meter and fusebox in a nice cabinet.

Ideally we would build a similar cabinet over the gas meter, however because the chimney breast is so shallow I estimate it would stick out six inches beyond the breast and would look a bit daft. Also the window is situated too close to the wall so it would extend past that too. Making it look neat against the bay architrave will be a nightmare.

I've also considered finding a suitably sized free standing cupboard to fill the alcove, cutting the back and floor out and positioning it over it. At least with it being free standing it would look more natural.

Anyway, please see photos. Any advice greatly appreciated!

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.