cowkad

Does brick oven in kitchen require cinder block or steel post piers from the basement to support the masonry

Does brick oven in kitchen require cinder block or steel post piers from the basement to support weight on what I assume is the first floor or is the weight of the firebrick and shell not so heavy as to require this?
brick oven reflect.jpg · More Info

Comments (2)

• PRO
    True Brick Ovens
    11 years ago
    The requirement for a cinder block or steel post beneath the oven is more a matter of building code than weight bearing. In projects where the floor was already spec for the anticipated 1500 pounds, we were fine. In others we added additional framing. All parts of the oven were fireproofed from the surroundings and the external temp of the oven enclosure rarely reached much over room temp. Lightweight refractory materials help keep the weight reasonable. Most ovens weigh no more than a filled hot tub. Thanks for the question.
  • PRO
    Cowkad Construction LLC
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the answer regarding support for oven in kitchen. I like what you did with building small oven above fireplace in the other photo. Does the lower fireplace still operate and if so does it use the same chimney flue?
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.