cordovag

Area Rug Help

cordovag
9 years ago
Please help me with an area rug idea. The one we have now is not really working for me. I want to return it but a little uncertain about colour. The floors are light as you can see and it's an open concept.

Thank you

Comments (83)

• PRO
    PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What sbaltzley said, times 10. Either no rug and use a bold table runner/colored glass centerpiece, or get a rug with pattern and color. Once you do that and throw some coordinating pillows on the couch, it will dramatically change the space. You have a really nice base look established, btw!

• mail4cbowman
    9 years ago

You need some color in that room - there's nothing to grab the eye! Some art on the wall and something in the middle of the table. Use the existing picture over the couch as your inspiration for a color palette.

cordovag thanked mail4cbowman
  • llueezzcreations
    9 years ago

Well, for one the table is Gorgeous! Maybe just add a neutral print runner and more color with a nice centerpiece! Like myself, if you're on a budget and like the carpet, I would say match the throw rug in front of the door. The 2 odd wood chairs could be covered and placed on the ends..or used somewhere else! Bamboo shades on the doors and windows, with a print designed scarfs draped over a dark curtain rod, about half way down from top of ceiling, would also look nice. Lastly, define the separate spaces.. with the beige carpet angled in front of the fireplace, and add mirrors! Happy decorating!

cordovag thanked llueezzcreations
  • cordovag
    Original Author
    9 years ago

To bring color I wanted to put a vertical painting on each side of the patio door but cant seem to find the ones I like

• llueezzcreations
    9 years ago

Totally understand, with the kids and protecting the finish!

cordovag thanked llueezzcreations
  • joninewaygo1
    9 years ago

Rug! Rug, always love a rug!!! Rug color would depend on what your dishes and accessories are, or what you wish they were, then use the rug as a starting point and choose future colors from it. You have a beautiful blank slate and could go many different directions. If you love the red tablecloth and hope to use it, search for a rug with a bit of red to tie it in. Enjoy the process!

• Crystal
    9 years ago
    WAY lighter rug, light grey! and try switching the rug to a pattern and a solid color table cloth. If you would like to keep the table cloth red that would be fine.
  • ljbaack
    9 years ago

I agree…. no rug or tablecloth, but the only suggestion I would make is to place the 2 slat back chairs at the ends of the table to give a more uniform look ...

• PRO
    Cleveland Designs
    9 years ago

Simple, measure your rug space, head to a carpet outlet and find a nice piece of good quality carpet and have them bind the edges, you must have a good rug pad too. I would pack away the table cloth unless you have small children and it is needed for their messes.

You can buy a rug, but you can also have one made at a much lower cost and sometimes you can find very high end carpet that can be turned into a rug. I do that often. Good Luck.

• shopgirl1414
    9 years ago

Sisal! A sisal rug with a neutral border.

• User
    9 years ago
    What about a nice dhurrie? Not too expensive, easy to clean, and much lighter...
  • User
    9 years ago
    Something like this? Soft tones, not too dark?
  • sbaltzley
    9 years ago

If you can't find the vertical artwork for both sides of the doors, maybe put curtain panels on either side with a beautiful print that has some great colors in them. Similar to the bottom picture that llnelso attached and that matches the table runner. Since the table is close to the doors, they will compliment each other. The house my sister rents was professionally decorated and the curtains they used on either side of the sliding doors that lead out to the back porch don't actually close. You could do the same thing with a flat panel. I've done the same thing and put them on the outside edge of the window to give the illusion that the window is bigger than it really was.

• PRO
    Staged + Stylish Interiors and Home Staging
    9 years ago

Keep the rug! It "anchors" the room and it visually creates a separate living space for the dining room. It also adds warmth since the wall color is on a cooler color tone.

The rug looks great and works fabulously with the dining table and the adjacent room. However, the tablecloth fails to complement the rich brown tone of the rug and the chair's upholstery color.

If you choose to keep the rug, brighten the table with a lighter tone to offset the rug's darker tones. I recommend a lighter tablecloth in an earth tone if you prefer one in that space.

Consider your wall colors and go a shade or two lighter in the blue-gray (I believe that's the color.) for a tablecloth, table runner, or placemat choice. Also, consider adding a centerpiece with a cream, white, or clear rectangular vase filled with your favorite faux flowers in colors that complement the chair's upholstered color.

Of course, if you want to change the rug, (I agree with some of the rug examples above.) choose one with patterns that include a cream or beige, plus a color that matches your wall and/or chair color.

Whatever you decide, have fun with it!

• melissacarolnielsen
    9 years ago
    I would say this is why it isn't working originally is because the table cloth color is not in the base color of the grey paint.The carpet has a red base color in it also,so I feel they don't balance with the grey walls . What ever carpet you choose needs to include hues in the grey paint color. (Primary colors in grey seem to look in photo to be yellowish and bluish base )So a dark color could work but I suggest a lighter grey with dark grey and perhaps cream to balance the color with base boards.My this was hard to express I do hope you understand what I'm trying to say .Lots of love.
  • grandmabebe
    9 years ago
    Check out the floor mats by Sandy Chillewich.....she has a website.....they fit together in the size you want, are washable and very modern.
  • nybrunette
    9 years ago

I love your house. Lose the carpet and use the tablecloth only when eating. A brightly colored centerpiece will brighten up the area. To zip up the space, I would get a modern crystal chandelier over the table. It will add a little bling and create a focal point. Nothing too fancy, but the shine and sparkle will brighten up the room tremendously.

• banejann
    9 years ago

Pick what you love! And then find it at a price you can afford. Or leave the floor bare. It's a beautiful area. Remove tablecloth.

• Susan Sease
    9 years ago
    We absolutely LOVE or carpet floor tiles from FLOR. We have them under the kitchen table, mudroom and family room. There are so many choices, easy to install and if one tile gets messed up they are easy to replace. Also you can cut them easily which allows you to have the perfect size for your space. Good luck!
  • 3qwerty3
    9 years ago

How about an oriental rug away from the table, say near the fireplace, to give movement and color? Chose a bright one with lots of color.

• nathanlabish
    9 years ago
    Love your chairs! Where did you get them?
  • PRO
    Vida Flora Design
    9 years ago

I like Chilewich floor mats under dining tables. They are easy to clean, stay put and have a nice texture to them. They come in solids, textures and patterns

: http://www.didriks.com/Chilewich/Plynyl-Floormat-Collection-by-Chilewich/?keyword=chilewich%20plynyl%20floor%20mat&matchtype=b&creative=42212636620&device=c

• ldb123
    9 years ago

3qwerty3 - would you mind sharing your rug source?!? Thanks!!!

• carolebrown
    9 years ago

Agree need a rug to protect the beautiful floors. Try something besides solid color (oriental?) and maybe an oval shaped rug. Placemats and napkins that coordinate with rug and simple center piece (fruit bowl - bright colored fruits such as limes, lemons, pears or apples) would really make the room pop. Remove the mat at door! I would probably put similar chairs together and the 2 odd chairs at the ends. Pretty rooms and house! Have fun and enjoy changing decor for the seasons.

• lbee
    9 years ago

No rug looks just right in your space. I don't use a rug in my dining room either and I protected my wooden floors with these little felt pads you stick on the bottom of the chair legs. Protects the floor from scratches, I believe you can pick them up at any hardware store.

• PRO
    Owling Dog
    9 years ago

Very nice room with great options for decorating. Alexanian Carpet & Flooring has some great choices (Bolero and Botero are my fav's), exactly what I would consider if it was my dining room. However, (forgive please!) try Overstock.com before you bite the bullet because it's hard to beat their prices. :) Have fun and good luck.

• Leigh Durand
    9 years ago

Add some drapes for softness.

• Carolina Girl
    9 years ago

I think your room is awesome; just add a table runner and a large center piece to give color. You can change up the center piece with seasons and holidays.

• sandradclark
    9 years ago

I love the floors, the size of your rug is perfect (it just lacks the color you need). Remove the tablecloth. I agree with checking at Overstock.com. Go with an Oriental or Persian with an all over pattern with different colors. Pick a color from the rug & hang some panels with grommet tops from the ceiling to the floor level, so you can swoop them open & closed when needed at the sliding doors. Check Ikea for the drapes. Best value. I would also like to see a light colored table runner with a large round glass bowl of fine silk peonies in the middle. Keep looking for the vertical art for the narrow sections of walls & check Lamps Plus for a crystal type (not gaudy) light piece to put on a dimmer for above the table. Get one on clearance or sale.

• PRO
    Elliott Mattice
    9 years ago

An oriental rug could actually work for this room. Take the colors throughout the room and look for a rug that has similar tones, shades and colors. The fireplace has some classic details that contrast nicely with the modern clean look, much like the rug would. Often, something that you would never even consider will work simply by "not fitting in" to the overall scheme.

• merrigay
    9 years ago

linelso, love the tablerunners--absolutely gorgeous. Did you make them or is there a specific brand? All I can ever find is white or the oh so daring off white. Unfortunately my cat is the reason I can't have nice things like this on a day to day basis...but for a special occasion, they would be great.

• sunrisearcher
    9 years ago

You may want to consider an area rug with a pattern and a lighter colour. The colour of the carpet blends in to much with the wood in the table.

• gingerk52
    9 years ago

Loose the table cloth, use a white floral or table runner, set the 2 odd chairs away from the table next to windows, rug is fine as is. Cluster of candles would add interest also on the table.

• PRO
    User
    9 years ago

I love your dining room set and love that you are bringing in a pop of red to the gray room. Remove the table cloth though and instead put that red and pattern on the rug! Best of luck, you have a pretty house. O.co has a lot of rugs at good prices, delivered right to your door.

• jsharonbrian10
    9 years ago

Try removing the table cloth, use a flower arrangement for color. Place the two tall backed chairs at the ends of the table. Looks like you want to add color, the table cloth would look good as a rug, maybe look for colorful rugs. The size of the rug matters it should be large enough so that when you get up from the table the chair legs are still on the rug, when you use a larger rug you probably don't need the one by the door. Then I would like to find some colorful pictures, small scale group 3 together for more pop. Your grey and raspberry choice is a pretty combination, but you don't need more plain colors added to your room, make it happy and sharp.

• josephdlj
    9 years ago

Did you ever think of drapery panels on either side of the doors? That might give you the pop of color/pattern you need to make the space inviting without having to add a rug. Also, maybe you need something in the middle of the table like a centerpiece of some sort - not necessarily flowers, but something interesting you already own. I agree, placemats shouldn't be left out all the time and your table's too pretty to have it covered all the time.

• Martha O'Neill
    9 years ago

It may not be the rug that is throwing you off. I believe it's the red tablecloth. Remove it and if you want something of interest on the table top, replace it with either a collection of white column candles with interesting glass shades or a large airy floral display in a glass or shiny metal vase. Keep it simple. The room looks dark in the photos. Glass & metal reflects the light.

If you're looking for a different rug find an overall large softly abstract design in a subtle green/cream & maybe a dark line that randomly threads through the piece to pick up the wood tone of your furniture. Because the room has a strong structural vertical & horizontal appearance stay away from a repeated geometric pattern (quite popular these days). The abstract/floral rug design will not compete with your architecture, it'll compliment it. You have a beautiful room!

• Lizzy L.
    9 years ago

I was going to say that a nice ivory jute rug would bring in texture, but you don't need it. Instead, I would lighten up the walls. (And don't ever put that tablecloth back on!)

• llueezzcreations
    9 years ago

merrigay..I found photos of 'table runners' on houzz!

• paintfun2
    9 years ago

I would look for a large area rug that is lighter in color and perhaps a large floral pattern bringing in the accent colors that you like. The room appears kind of dark. Without having to paint the walls a lighter colored rug would be nice. Remove the tablecloth and add a crisp table runner, also lighter in color, or at least something that compliments your new rug and other decor.

• Jenny Chism
    9 years ago

light and cheery pattern would be better with lighter yet tablecloth

• bodile
    9 years ago

Much too dark and gloomy. Lighter walls. Throw out the table ClothoClotho

• Sylvia Carlson
    9 years ago

What about something more bright and graphic, like this?

You might want to use an indoor/outdoor rug because they are washable and shouldn't stain if something gets spilled on the white part.

• cathyreischman
    9 years ago
    I think personally. if you actually take a color sample from the wallsand use that to match the rug in the dining room it would all toe together., then also keep the red table cloth and add a center peice ( just for fun to see ) with the area rug color, the baseboard colir and the walls will LOVE it! :-)
  • jsharonbrian10
    9 years ago

Yes, but I still feel like they need some color to brighten up the room and add interest.

• sheilaskb
    9 years ago

I would suggest you get a rug that matches the wall color, which looks gray in some photosand gray-green in others. I believe the current rug does not work for you because the brown in the rug does not contrast from the dark brown chair legs, and the brown rug fights with the wall color when you need something that harmonizes. If you prefer the bright, patterned tablecloth, then you should stick with a solid-color area rug. Otherwise, a patterned rug with dark green and gray-green leaves and some ivory or light gray in the print would be beautiful with a plain tablecloth. The different shades in such a rug still would blend with your wall color and contrast from the dark dining furniture.

• camilla101
    9 years ago

The only thing I suggest is to put the two odd chairs at the head and foot of the table with the matching chairs along the sides.

• lmasson
    9 years ago
    A) Lighter rug (like in the LR) would create a little synchrony and flow (but downsize a little so as not to disrupt your traffic flow). or B) table cloth looks like it should be under the table, so a rug that style would work with accents of red in the livingroom to tie it in.
  • columbia93
    8 years ago

A problem I'm seeing as well is the double door next to the table and the little mat you have in front of it. IMO, you have 2 choices. 1) lose the rug under the table (why do you have special chairs for the kids but aren't worried about an area rug?) and get a more interesting rug at the door and an accent centerpiece for the table, or 2) choose a rug with a pattern that also comes in a smaller size for the door, centerpiece optional. You have a very neutral palette without any pattern - you need pattern and/or color in your rooms. If you go no rug or get a neutral pattern for the rugS, you need to inject color in the centerpiece in a statement sort of way. If you put the color on the floor, you can go with an understated centerpiece. Either way, you need a bit of something on the table to "finish" it. Get rid of the table cloth. Since you have an open floor plan, I see ORANGE in that painting above the fireplace. Pull your accents from it but NO more tablecloth! If you go with a rug and don't want or can't find a smaller rug to match, get a neutral mat for the door - the color of your wood floor. Shopping!

• PRO
    Heritage Home Rugs
    8 years ago

I like your dining table set without a table cloth. I can recommend you this rug below. It has the same color contrast as your dining table set.

EMPIRE COLLECTION

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.