helensuthy

White and light required, many questions!

helensuthy
9 years ago
Help! We have quite a dark cottage which I painted in Elephants Breath F and B a while ago. It seems very dark and I'm intending to paint it White and wish to add lots of colour to generally brighten up, is there such thing as a perfect white?
Other advice needed is for the tv arrangement, it's never seemed right, Amy ideas would be greatly appreciated.
The lighting is also an issue, we don't have any ceiling lights so I think some greater lighting is required.
I would like to change the colour of the fireplace brick, it's currently cream, I thought about paining it dark if everywhere else was to be white and the black tiles for the hearth are ugly but unsure what to replace with.
FINALLY

Comments (49)

• Si Xian
    9 years ago
    To achieve perfect white, you need to paint many coats of white to cover up the darker coat underneath. Or scrap off the dark coat of paint. It can be achieved.
    helensuthy thanked Si Xian
  • Si Xian
    9 years ago
    Place tv above fireplace/ in front of windows to be able to watch it directly.
    helensuthy thanked Si Xian
  • Related Discussions

How many LED lights?

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi there, 10 LED downlights could be enough to fit your needs, but a bit more information would be needed to be more precise. The number of LED downlights you require depends on the type of fitting, but also on your floor to ceiling dimension. The higher your ceiling, the wider the spread of light and the better the coverage. The size and position of your skylights may also have an impact, as this will affect the setting out of your downlights. You might want to consider also using a floor lamp or two at the edge of the room to throw light up to the ceiling. Light will be reflected from the surface of your ceiling making your whole space much brighter. Hope that is of some help. Best of luck with your project!
    ...See More

Lighting novice // bulb question

Q

Comments (2)
    Try: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Light-Bulbs/TAMAYKIM-Dimmable-Candelabra-Incandescent-Replacement/B01GDL7CCS/ref=sr_1_6?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1486279228&sr=1-6&keywords=E14+Screw+bulb+20W or even: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bonlux-2-Packs-Replacement-Microwave-Extractor/dp/B019VZIAWY/ref=sr_1_3?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1486279255&sr=1-3&keywords=E14+Screw+bulb+10W Else you could try covering the opening of the lamp with washi paper (you can get them with tints if you are wanting a coloured feel) this will definitely give you a diffuse look.
    ...See More

Kitchen splashback advice required please

Q

Comments (19)
    Thank you for all your responses. My preference is matching splash back to the bench-tops. The trouble is the size of these laminate splash back comes in are 3000mm x 600mm or 1500mm x 1210 mm - I will require at-least 3100mm by approx 695 mm (h) as all units are set a little bit higher due to the minimum requirements for gas hob clearance. I opted all units to be set higher as I wanted streamlined look hence I am looking at a minimum of 2 joins. Would 2 joins on a laminate splash back look okay? Or would it be too obvious. ( I will of course ensure the joining material glue or whatever is called is matched to the laminate colour?) Thank you
    ...See More

Urgent colour advice: open plan living room-kitchen required, please!

Q

Comments (3)
    It's really hard to have an opinion on a screen............uinfortunately, colours just look different to people as the colours on their screens differ from one another.......does that make sense. I can tell you however, having used Dusted Moss 2 & 3 on many occasions, that it is a lot more green than it looks on your chart above, which looks grey. It has grey tones, but as the name suggests it is a green. Dulux is for sure, lovely paint,. The colour charts however, aren't so accurate and the paint mixing compared to the colour cards is also not that accurate. I always suggest to people to go get colour cards and testers and paint at least an A4 piece of paper with 2 or 3 coats. Move the paper around as the paint changes with the light in differing positions. Probably not what you want to hear, but you can't choose paint from a computer screen and hope for any accuracy at all. I now prefer Valspar ( B&Q ), used to be Crown. The colour matching is phenomenal. The accuracy to the cards is spot on, and the paint is good. I used to be a Dulux everything fan................but since discovering Valspar I have been converted.
    ...See More
  • minnie101
    9 years ago
    Hi. It's a beautiful room! I don't think painting it white will be the answer, white needs light to work. Painting the walls in something with a yellow or creamy undertone should in theory help or basically embrace the dark. I'd have a look at farrow and ball for inspiration or decide if you want to go dark or light and then people can advise colours. The ceiling height looks quite high for a cottage so would definitely invest in ceiling lights and maybe some wall lights and a floor light. I can't think of a better place for the tv. The room is so lovely I wouldn't want it as a focal point over the fire.
    helensuthy thanked minnie101
  • hortonhearsawho2013
    9 years ago
    I like the colour and feel of the room I think your biggest issue is lighting.
    helensuthy thanked hortonhearsawho2013
  • helensuthy
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks so much for all your thoughts, very much appreciated! Any advice on the fireplace ?
  • mrsmcee74
    9 years ago
    Have you thought about wallpaper with pearlescent inks? Reflective surfaces bounce light around the room. Good old Laura Ashley does lots of these.
  • minnie101
    9 years ago
    Re the fireplace, it depends on what colour you do the walls. If you paint the brick in a dark colour it will absorb more light. For the hearth, I would either have a slim slate or granite or maybe just one course of bricks although that would encroach on the room more. Stone could also look nice depending what you do with the paint colour. I'd extend the hearth to meet the fireplace. Image from homesstudio
  • helensuthy
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    That looks absolutely brilliant , thank you, great idea, I hadn't thought about bricks at the bottom!
  • Juliet Docherty
    9 years ago
    White rooms that have little natural light are grey and gloomy. Much better to embrace it. Could try F&B savage ground which is warm and has depth. Don't put the TV above the fireplace and try to improve the lighting. A cream rug would help too. Lovely house!
    helensuthy thanked Juliet Docherty
  • neotoma
    9 years ago
    I'd try some testers to see what works (big patches, not little splotches) - you can put them on board rather than the wall if you want (I prefer putting them on the wall). We have a very dark hall which used to have a creamy shiny wall paper in, which despite the sheen just ate up the light. Stripping it back to white plaster has made a huge difference. I'm currently deciding if I want to paint it vivid white or not. Another colour I personally like (i.e you might not!) is Dulux Ringlet - it is probably too strong for you in full strength, but it really glows off the walls and looks bright and light and warm in the dusk when the existing neutral (dulux chalk usa) looks dull and grey - they also do it (in Aus at least) in a quarter strength which is very pale (it's still visibly yellow though). I would try a patch of white, and a few big patches of the palest dilution of colours you like and see what takes your fancy.
    helensuthy thanked neotoma
  • teenytinyhouse
    9 years ago
    I personally love the colour scheme the way it is, as previous people have said, lighting is the main issue.

I would always get a ceiling light installed, whether you intend to use it as your main light, or not. It's useful for days when you need loads of light (such as when you're cleaning up). Get a dimmer for added flexibility.

It will be a bit messy, as the electrician will need to carve some channels in the wall and ceiling to lay the wires (if you're lucky, they're already there), but a decent electrician will keep the channels narrow (narrow enough to use polyfilla, rather than a full plastering job!) clean up any loose mess as they go, and as you've recently painted, you'll be able to use the leftover paint in the tin to patch up the gaps without worrying about a colour mismatch. You won't regret it!
    helensuthy thanked teenytinyhouse
  • lnsail
    9 years ago
    I think it would help to add a lighter color rug with some interest and to replace the brown pillows with colorful ones...especially using some of the teal color you have.
    http://houzz.com/photos/16537594
    helensuthy thanked lnsail
  • helensuthy
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks again to all of you, I'm currently ordering new cushions, I'm going to have an electrician round and I'm going to get some colour prints on the wall! The White is currently on hold, although I have/had my heart set on a white room, I value all your expertise so it can stay as it is for now. It's been like this for 3 years already , I'll post the pics when its done but in the meantime I love reading all your ideas, they are fab!
  • minnie101
    9 years ago
    Good luck with it all! If you're set on white, Farrow and ball white tie and new white may work, as will their borrowed light (not white but a nice colour!). Some people do say elephants breath has a slight green undertone (I can't see it but acts differently in different lights!) which may be why it's not helping with the light. A gloss ceiling is also meant to help but never tried it! Mrsmcee also mentioned wallpaper but anything with a reflective surface so glass coffee table, chrome accessories etc will help as will a light rug (spending a fortune now!). I would just try some paint testers as someone suggested to see what works
  • helensuthy
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks Minnie, white tie was the one I was looking at ☺️ Gloss ceiling sounds interesting too. I don't mind spending a bit if I want to be in it more than I do!
  • minnie101
    9 years ago
    Well I'd definitely get a tester then! I nearly tried the gloss ceiling in my basement but bottled out!! I can in theory see it working though (I have an accidental piece of gloss on my lounge satinwood door as a chip was touched up (on my new paint) and it definitely bounces the light around as it annoys me all the time! I'd try the paint first and then see if anything else is needed, you should definitely want to spend time in that room
  • pannacotta
    9 years ago
    I like the wall colour as it is, its a great neutral background. A bright rug and cushions and some art would brighten it up. This is nice
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10229035/
    I have seen similar in a teal colour which would also work well.
    Velvet or silk cushions to reflect the light would be good.
    helensuthy thanked pannacotta
  • pannacotta
    9 years ago
    Also I would change the TV for smaller white one which would blend in much better and not be so obvious.
    helensuthy thanked pannacotta
  • Tim Price
    9 years ago
    It looks very cosy and everything seems so well proportioned but I do see your point on the light levels. If you are ready to paint the whole room then it would also be the time to consider putting in more lighting. Being a cottage it is hard to tell how much work chasing in cables for a ceiling light and additional wall lights would be but better lighting would allow you a bigger range of colours whilst still getting the desired brightness. More lighting would also be a big plus during the winter months.
    The fireplace looks like it is pretty much in keeping with a country cottage so no need to change it - especially if you use it. I would consider changing the colour of the brick surround but before doing so I would check which colours are best for helping the heat from the fire to radiate out.
    Personally I feel the black tiles in front of the fire look just the part for that fireplace. Perfect cottage look.
    helensuthy thanked Tim Price
  • turquoisetree53
    9 years ago
    isnt it worth trying a (reasonably cheap) floor lamp which has a flexible head and gives uplighting which can be dimmed? later you can paint it a suitable colour so it suits your decor.
    helensuthy thanked turquoisetree53
  • nohopeinhel
    9 years ago
    I think the colour scheme of the room looks great - if feels very cosy. It could be a nice idea to use the alcoves left and right to the chimney for some built-in shelves. You could integrate lighting into the shelving and create a real focal point. The TV could be integrated into the shelving. White or natural shelving would stand out from the wall colour and add brightness.

The fireplace colour looks great. I would replace the black tiles with some natural sandstone or with bricks.
    helensuthy thanked nohopeinhel
  • 3thegrove
    9 years ago
    The shutters on the window although pretty, do block a lot of light. Consider replacing them with curtains you can pull right back from the window.
    helensuthy thanked 3thegrove
  • sarahsnowdon19
    9 years ago
    No constructive comments but wanted to say it's a beautiful room. You have lovely taste! Make sure you keep us posted on the changes!
    helensuthy thanked sarahsnowdon19
  • teenytinyhouse
    9 years ago
    This dilemma has attracted an awful lot of responses(!), I think I speak for all when I say, please can we have some "after" pictures? In daylight and at night, to admire the full glory of your transformation! :)
    helensuthy thanked teenytinyhouse
  • nudejude
    9 years ago
    Go ahead and paint it white! I had a really dark room like this, and stupidly bought a brown leather suite when they were all the rage, it just made the room darker of course. At that time the room was painted in a slightly off white, but everything still looked dingy. In the end I painted the whole room brilliant white, including the ceiling, and stripped and stained my dark wood floors with a white wash, replaced a dark rug with a sisal one, and suddenly the room glows. I LOVE it, and spend lots more time in there than I did before.
    helensuthy thanked nudejude
  • comparables
    9 years ago
    There's nothing wrong with good old white. You don't have a huge echoey lounge by the look of it, and if you have an interesting range of features and details for the eye to take in, that will stop it looking plain. Although it could be tempting to use light warm colours like yellow on the walls, these don't always work in the gloomy UK. They need light to sing (think Mediterranean), so beware using them in a north-facing room. The reflected light can be bluer than direct light, mixing with your lovely yellow to give it a green caste. I've seen a few 'Highlighter Pen Yellow' living rooms in my time...
    helensuthy thanked comparables
  • nohopeinhel
    9 years ago
    So glad somebody else shares the same pet hate!
    helensuthy thanked nohopeinhel
  • turquoisetree53
    9 years ago
    There are a lot of shades of white......I have used Dulux Jasmine White with good success. But your room may take an even chalkier version.
    helensuthy thanked turquoisetree53
  • Juliet Docherty
    9 years ago

Each to their own but l have to agree with the Jo's comment above. TV's are necessary but ugly, why make a feature of them?

helensuthy thanked Juliet Docherty
  • PRO
    Feioi
    9 years ago
    Personally I really dislike TVs hung over fireplaces as they are far too high, they should be at eye level when sitting for the most comfortable viewing position. Also, as colourhappy says, they're not the most attractive feature!

I love Elephant's Breath, it's my favourite paint colour! Used in the right place it is beautiful but if the lighting is not right it can look a bit dull. I wouldn't paint the room white as if your light isn't great it will always look a bit grey and dingy so embrace it and go with a warm cosy colour. I'd suggest painting up some sheets of card and pinning them around the room in various areas and see how you feel about them. They will look different throughout the day as the light changes and in natural/artificial light.

Finally, brighten up the room with colourful accessories and good lighting!

Good luck!
    helensuthy thanked Feioi
  • Tim Price
    9 years ago
    I see the positioning of a TV as a very difficult thing in a room with a fireplace. Logically the fire is the central point of focus, so if the TV is a daily use thing, then above it sounds right (or in front of it in non-fire season. Traditionally people put things above the fireplace that they like to see all the time - be that ornaments or a picture but I have to agree that it doesn't seem all that pretty. I have been in the tropics for almost 30 years now, so no fireplaces here, so I haven't encountered this problem. I plan to return to UK in a couple of years, so this may well be a dilemma I need to come to terms with. More views on this and the alternatives please!
    helensuthy thanked Tim Price
  • fordmouth
    9 years ago
    I think you have a lovely room and, as previous people have commented, it's probably going to be the lighting that will be crucial. Another suggestion for paint is Craig and Rose - Adam White. We're currently renovating an old cottage and have just painted the bedroom in this colour. It's a lovely warm white but still adds brightness to the room. We have quite a small window and as the external wall is about 3ft thick the window doesn't let in a lot of light so the paint colour and lighting are really important. Look forward to seeing your finished room!
    helensuthy thanked fordmouth
  • riverside93
    9 years ago
    A suggestion would be perhaps a couple of picture lights and Tallow FB is perfect in this type of cottage room, lovely room size you have ..
    helensuthy thanked riverside93
  • Natalie Patton
    8 years ago
    I think the room is beautiful but if you add more white it may be too white and clinic like. Maybe change the sofa as it's very dark and big. Maybe a nice gray or stone fabric would be nicer with some scatter cushions in light colours of different textures. Maybe a duck egg blue or a pale green. Also maybe think of wall lighting not the old style our grandmas had attached in every alcove when we were younger, a nice modern one maybe a dangling glass effect to create a feature. Really though your cottage is stunning maintaining its features important
    helensuthy thanked Natalie Patton
  • Jo DP
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago
    To me the wicker/coffetable/basket looks marooned being too far away from either sofa so it looks like something washed up on a desert island.

I think a circular one, with a glass top, to echo the circular mirror above the fireplace would look great. It is essential to put a large glass vase of flowers AT ALL TIMES on it so that the room has something alive & movement in it. You will be surprised how this lightens & brightens the room.

I love your room & the glass& wood door that goes into the kitchen(?). I would keep your room a cosy room as I would imagine the room it goes into will be lighter & I like the contrast.

I do think the rug also looks like it is playing dead & the colour of it is a wash out. I would choose a deeper coloured, even patterned one & pick out a colour from it, to paint the fireplace in, like a rich aubergine to go with the earthy coloured sofas.

An old box would look great to stand the TV on in the corner rather than the white thing it is on now. if you turned the box on its side you could store things on view in it under the TV.

I would banish the white altogether.

A few books on the coffee table would add life & movement too.

Yep, I see this room with just a few tweaks edging to the reclaimed, being an absolute haven if you go with it rather than fight it or making it look twee by adding white.

The wicker basket does work ( perhaps with the TV on) just not as a centrepiece.
    helensuthy thanked Jo DP
  • Jill Gittins
    8 years ago
    My cottage sitting room enjoys/suffers from many of the same features/difficulties as yours, Helen. My thoughts are:

Wall colour: take your existing Elephant's Breath one shade lighter, and go for F&B's Skimming Stone. It'a a fabulous, subtle colour, and should look great with your brown sofa. Maybe 'hide' the rads by painting to match walls? Ceiling in bog-standard matt white.

Floor: the wooden floor is quite dark, and a bit cold. A bigger rug would help. Crucial Trading make seagrass/sisal rugs to any size, so you could easily make the floor lighter.

Lighting: table lamps and floor lamps are the way to go. Fairy lights are great too. I have two large table lamps, one tiny table lamp and one home-made fairy-light feature - that's enough. And no need for extra wiring.

Windows: shutters do block a lot of light, especially the two-tier type, due to the size of the frame. I know because I had them! I changed to single tier shutters with wider slats, which helped, although I would have got rid of them entirely if I could have. I also have curtains, as these soften the appearance of the room. By the way, you're very fortunate to have original georgian sliding sashes - gorgeous!

Furniture: in order to reduce the amount of 'brown' in the room, you could paint the chest of drawers.

TV: current position is fine. Maybe with a more interesting stand?

Fireplace: love it! no need to change.

Accessories: maybe some light-coloured art-work on the walls. A few books. And, as Jo DP has already said, you must have flowers. Always!

So, in summary, no need for major changes, just some judicious tweaks. Here are some photos of my own room. Hope this helps.
  • helensuthy
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks so much for your advice, I love skimming stone, it's everywhere upstairs so thanks for suggesting. Great idea about the rads too, I'd never thought of that ! The shutters are open lots but I had them put in as we live on a busy main road and people peer in! I'm on the hunt for a nice rug or two. I did have a gorgeous white coffee table always with flowers on but I had a baby and needed a bit more space, so maybe I'll get it back out! Standby for some pics and thanks for yours , looks lovely.
  • Lyn Foxall
    8 years ago
    Where do you start with choosing colours!
    We're about to decorate our entire house, we've historically been lazy and magnoliad everywhere (yes I know!!).... But I want to inject some personality into the rooms. Where do you start with choosing colours and feature wall colours?
    helensuthy thanked Lyn Foxall
  • milfordmaid
    8 years ago
    TV. Place to right side of fireplace. Move 3 seat sofa to 2 seat position but pulled diagonally forward so it's Left side is near to window. 2 seat sofa in 3 seat place again moved at a slight diagonal to new placed TV. This impacts on the bottom of stairs, so will need to be pulled forward enough to allow free access btw sofa + into other part of room, behind the new 2seat place.
    Also slimline TV, as small/large as yet can fit into alcove space.
    Not above fireplace if same is used.
    Agree to high. You'll get neck strain!
    helensuthy thanked milfordmaid
  • milfordmaid
    8 years ago
    Whatever you decide on wall colours - cover existing soft furniture with contrasting LIGHT coloured throws. Furniture is far too dark for small space.
    Add small dots of darker colours using cushions, lamp covers, smaller coffee table or wall-prints.
    helensuthy thanked milfordmaid
  • PRO
    Stella Michael
    8 years ago
    I don't mind the current colours although a greys and beiges tend to suck light out of a room, a brighter colour rather than just white will help. I agree with much of what Jill says above, with a few tweaks ... the lighting needs attention. The room needs some interest, colour and texture to create depth. Get a larger rug, more colourful, with organic pattern which draws the eye outward. Big enough to sit the furniture on. Pick up some of the colours from the new rug and get some cushions.

A couple of plants would help with texture and add life to the room. I know you are using the mirrors to add light and space but the one under the stairs is just reflecting the underneath of the stairs ... try a colourful print of a pathway between trees for example, to draw the eye beyond the room otherwise it's a bit bland.

The TV is just on a stand that is too small and a bit low, go for a wider piece or try positioning the unit against the other wall in that same corner so it is facing the sofas, then the TV won't look so out of balance.

If you make the room a bit livelier and interesting the light issue won't be such a problem. Consider pale turquoise walls for example rather than just white and add some artwork.
  • helensuthy
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    To update, I await yellow and teal cushions! I'm looking for a nice rug, the tv is up against the wall now which looks so much better , thank you Stellahome. I did have a move around yesterday and just couldn't get it to work but I did try! Thanks again for all your advice!
  • User
    8 years ago
    Hi Helen,

Ref. the TV. I have a similar situation where I lean a framed painting on to the TV to hide it when not in use. Be sure to put a string on the hooks to loop it round the TV to prevent it slipping.
    Then just lift it off when viewing required.
    helensuthy thanked User
  • User
    8 years ago
    Just thought to remind you to choose a bright/light picture to cover TV or even a light silky throw.
    helensuthy thanked User
  • User
    8 years ago
    Forgot to mention to be sure to choose a bright picture or maybe a light silky throw. I used to use a Chinese embroidered silk throw
    helensuthy thanked User
  • Sara Smith
    8 years ago
    I think your cottage is lovely and I really like the neutral colours against the lovely wooden floors. However, I would be tempted to change the sofas to light cream ones. Try it out by throwing some light coloured sheets over them and see the difference it will make.
    helensuthy thanked Sara Smith
  • PRO
    Fantastic Furniture Assembly
    8 years ago

I fully agree with Sara here.

• Dawn Rimmer
    8 years ago

I would demolish the fireplace and just have a mantle shelf over the stove (as in one of the pics above. This might give the tv more space. It could then be mounted low on the wall, underneath the new mantle shelf, with a bracket to tilt it towards the sofa when it is being used, You will still have a display area but more room. I don't think the fireplace is original anyway.

Basically you need more lighting. Consider more lamps and also up lighters on the floor. They should be discreet and only their effects seen but they will make a big difference. Or spot lights eg angle poise lamps trained to point to a wall or picture will also help and you will not have the cost and mess of having to have an electrician in.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.