brynna2112

Bathroom tile & colour advice

brynna2112
8 years ago
I am renovating my house & have lovely new bathroom space. The bath will be boxed in and a teak washstand with white countertop sink and tall tap. I am struggling with deciding in colour scheme and tiles (both floor sand walls). I need to tile behind bath (and niches) and showed and splash back of sink. Part of me thinks a grey shower but I would also like it to feel welcoming.
Any advice would be great!

Comments (27)

• PRO
    Sort Our Stuff
    8 years ago
    I LOVE your product bottle niches!
  • hortonhearsawho2013
    8 years ago
    Grey sounds nice, there is enough of the teak to stop it from looking too cold. You could bring in the blue or green with towels & bathmat & soaps. If you go for a tile that has a nice but subtle texture to it rather than plain it will help it to look interesting & inviting.
  • brynna2112
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks very much, it's whether I paint walls white (off white), need to tile the inside if shower and probably bath panel too... No need something that won't be too over powering. And dark or light floor tiles? I can't picture this room yet!
  • minnie101
    8 years ago
    Hi. Were you intending to tile inside the niches in the same tile? If not, why not try a hexagon mosaic (image from the sweet digs) combined with metro tiles (can all be in white if prefferred). Marble or marble effect also looks good with metro tiles (image from mad about the house) which you could do the bath panel in as an alternative option. If you go for white tiles around the bath I would add interest with grey metros in the shower. I'd also paint the wall above the bath in grey to make the bath stand out. I've attached a pic of a built in bath with metro tiles just as an idea if you were worried it would be too much. Obviously the colour of the grout will impact how much the tiles stand out. Image from gallery apartment therapy
  • brynna2112
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks for the ideas Minnie.. All lovely!! Always good to be able to see rather than having to imagine!
  • lnsail
    8 years ago
    Another bathroom with grey tile and wood...
    http://houzz.com/photos/15926350
  • Kevin Sharples
    8 years ago
    I was in the same dilemma and I am half way through refurbishing the master bed and en-suite in our house. I decided to go with the grey and walnut combination, just need to get the walnut for the cistern top cover yet.
  • PRO
    Stella Michael
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago
    Teak is a rich warm wood with great depth so would stay away from any flat matt grey tiles as it would drain it. Remember it's a tropical wood so looks better with something lively. Something with texture would look great in the shower and around the sink and bath. If you like grey see the photos below and once you choose a textured tile, choose a darker colour in the wall tile use this for some large tiles on the floor or just continue it along the floor.

A bathroom doesn't need to be bright and white, you can add a little more of a sultry feel. Tile showrooms often display the textured tiles with the possible options, you can go and see just for ideas. Remember to add colour and texture with larger leafed plants (peace lilies-Spathiphyllum- grow well in bathrooms as they like the shade), this will bring out the lusciousness of the teak. See the photos ...
  • lottys
    8 years ago
    Hi I am are just doing our bathroom and I i was going to just go grey or the split face white Quartz but then I found these tiles and fell in love with them . They are from Italy but not very expensive . They are a grey charcoal and stone colour and are beautiful in real life , they have a very old but modern feel . I have also got recesses above my bath and have put the plain tiles from the bath to just above the recesses and then done patterned to the ceiling , I have also put patterned in the recesses . I will do the wall the stone colour I think and have a dark floor . My husband has made a lovely unit that hides the cistern and I am having a lovely limestone sink on top of an oak worktop . The door on the sink unit will have a mirrored recessed into it with a crisscross over the top in wood and the whole unit will be painted in a stone colour from farrow and ball .
  • lottys
    8 years ago
    This is the sink
  • brynna2112
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi there, thanks for all your input. I've seen these tiles today, they are dark but have lots of coppers in them. What do you think if them on floor and In the shower? Not sure if I would then have Matt white above bath and then dark (or something. Different) in the niches?!
  • 163 hrd
    8 years ago
    Hi brynna2112, I wish someone had warned me against my choice of dark tiles for my bathroom floor. The problem is this: every spec of dust shows up. Within 24 hrs of mopping there again appears a light layer of dust, especially visible below the toilet roll holder. It is of course lint/fibres from the loo paper, but it looks like dust to anyone else so I always feel the need to clean that floor constantly. I can't wait to re-tile in grey or white!
  • Sam Hill
    8 years ago
    Blues
  • PRO
    Stella Michael
    8 years ago
    I know what you mean about dark floor tiles but I still think it's worth it for the drama and lusciousness ... you can barely see them but the floor tiles are the same as the wall tiles. I love it every time I walk into the bathroom and feel very spoilt, especially with the double people bath. (click each to see a more complete picture)
  • lottys
    8 years ago
    Our on suite in progress and our wallpaper and picture for our main bedroom . We are having large dark tiles on the floor in the on suite . We have dark grey limestone tiles on the floor in our kitchen and I love them .we are also having an internal window made to go above our tiles with large crosses on .
  • lottys
    8 years ago
    My husband is making a cabinet like this attached and we are having this sink .
  • brynna2112
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Lottys,
    It's looking great. Are you using the same grey tiles on the floor as on walls? The sink you have chosen looks nice and deep. This is the sink that I am thinking, but only white(no silver!) but might be a bit shallow. Also would have same tap as top left.
  • brynna2112
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks everyone for your inputs, I hadn't realised there was such a great community if idea helpers!!

I'm still not there, the dark tiles I posted are no good, they have a funny sheen to them when lights are on them. :-(

So thinking either Q
  • brynna2112
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Opps posted too soon.. Latest thought are... Maybe these but they are quite bland or changing to the brick look which shower would be grey and pattern in niches and the probably white next to bath and same pattern in niches... But still wouldn't know about floor!!

Please let me know your thoughts; it's all so interesting & helpful :-)
  • brynna2112
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Last comment from me for now!
    The renovation is the whole house and think I have decided on the 'guest ensuite' (smallest room!!).

Just wondered if anyone is in agreement or better idea? Green will be feature sloping wall, white (or might do cream) on other 2 walls. The sink unit is the darker oak (same style as sink pic) and light oak for the floor tiles.
  • lottys
    8 years ago
    Hi the floor tiles we are using are from tops tiles , I can't see them on their website but they have them in their shop . They are dark grey/ black 30x60 and are Matt but in certain lights have a very tiny sparkle . Not the ones with big sparkly bits and that are shiny . If I go in again I will find out the name . Your sink is lovely also . I just like ours as it has a Matt finish with a limestone look even though it's white .
  • brynna2112
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hi there, I have found these grey tiles.

Would they look good on floor, in the shower and behind the bath?
    Or would this be too much?

they do a mosaic about 2in square in same colour - which I thought would be good in niche. Not 100% sure of splash back behind the sink.
    Also not sure on wall colour, like the idea of grey behind bath but might all be a bit much.
  • lottys
    8 years ago

Hi I like your tiles , if you feel it may be abit dark you could always put in some led lighting strips . We are putting them over our mirror and in the alcoves above our bath , they are quite easy to fit .

• jacol68
    6 years ago

Did you finish your project? Would love to see the finished result :)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.