dart_man

Walnut kitchen - what floor!?

dart_man
8 years ago

Hi all,

we are fitting a new kitchen in a Regency property in Devon.

The kitchen and dining area are on the lower ground floor leading to the garden.

We initially had planned to have the same natural engineered oak flooring throughout the house... The whole house is to have underfloor heating.

However the walnut veneer, which would front all the kitchen joinery (a 5m wide backwall, and 2 sides of a 2.5m wide island), came back and it doesn't go well with the natural oak floor sample... But it is awesome so we would rather try and change the floor rather than change the kitchen veneer...

The island will have a waterfall effect Calacutta Quartzite worktop, so that's quite light. Walls will be painted white.

Regarding flooring, 2 ideas came out - though we don't know which one to follow.

1) do a concrete 'micro topping' www.koubidesign.com/#!polished-concrete/c199t

looks beautiful, but is much much more expensive than wooden floor. how durable and easy to maintain is it? might be cold on the foot in the summer?

2) perhaps another type of oak finish? Maybe limed... Scandinavian style.. to keep things light and to contrast with the walnut?

pros would be on cost, wood is a bit more flexible so nicer to back/knees. But would we get a wood overdose perhaps? and is a pale wood floor a pain to clean? People have recommended to use Treatex colour tone Spruce on unfinished wood - does anybody has experience of that?

Below are photos of inspiration for both approaches. Maybe there is a 3rd approach we haven't thought of??!

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

concrete floor

wooden floor

Comments (13)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.