emmelinewe

Do you have parking space outside your home?

Emmeline Westin
8 years ago

In London, parking space can be a real issue. There's no space for a garage and you don't always have your own parking space, so you have to drive up and down your street and keep your fingers crossed that someone will leave as you pull up.

What's your situation like? How valuable is it to have a parking space? Would you pave over your front garden to fit your car?

Comments (29)

• Rob
    8 years ago

We bought our Victorian terrace in London and the previous owner had concreted over the entire front garden other than the original path. This was done very badly and the concrete has cracked everywhere and the original tiled path has sunk randomly. We are landscaping it all to retain a parking space diagonally but plant in the corners left and between two tracks for car wheels/walking. We are having railings and a gate to the front and provide space for bin storage - quite a lot in just a few square meters. Its incredibly valuable to have as residents permits are extortionate for a second car and we need space for out-of-town visitors to park.

• Related Discussions

How do you share your wardrobe space?

Q

Comments (7)
    We recently solved a wardrobe shortage problem for a couple by converting half of their roofspace into a walk-in wardrobe & dressing room accessed from stairs located where their old sliderobes used to be. It's a fantastic space giving loads of space (including a very large shoe collection!) and each had one full side of the room for their own use when we last saw it - I suspect the wife will soon have a much larger share though! There is also a dressing table with professional lighting around the mirror for make-up. The stairs make a great feature in the bedroom and the fact that the dressing room can't be seen from the bedroom removes the urgency for daily tidying!
    ...See More

What practical feature/item do you secretly crave for your house?

Q

Comments (98)
    Lights which automatically turn on when I enter a room (especially in the kitchen and in the hallway from the bedroom to the bathroom) and lights inside my wardrobes (especially inside the one in the bedroom: I often get up earlier than my hubby, and it may be still dark outside, and I don't want to wake him up while I'm looking for my stockings).
    ...See More

Do you have air con in your home?

Q

Comments (16)
    Living environment especially bed rooms need adequate air exchanges and not just the right temperature. I spend most of my working days in operating theatres in such environment. I am not suggesting that you need the same conditions but for healthy life style you do need adequate ventilation with air exchanges by opening windows or having air conditioning installed. The objective should be not about just the right temperature but also air filteration and purification. Just observe arc of light coming through a small opening or curtains in a darkened room as to how many particles are suspended in air and this is what causes numerous breathing conditions.
    ...See More

Do you have a window seat in your home?

Q

Comments (3)
    My window seat is a bit unconventional but it's such a bright spot in my home and my daughter and I LOVE it!!! It's our photo Opp corner as well...;)
    ...See More
  • pavinia
    8 years ago

Sadly I do not have a parking space. Hence, YES I would 100% pave over the front garden if it was large enough!

• Tony McIntyre
    8 years ago
    I have a 5 car driveway, even though I only have one car. Opposite my house, there is a bouillon get that use to be a bank and has parking outside it for guests.
  • alant1000
    8 years ago
    I have spaces for 2 cars and a garage. A garage was a condition when looking for a house, I'd never get rid of it to convert to a room even if it added value (ok maybe I would just before selling).

I could never buy a house without off street parking now, it's top of my list.
  • crowningfashion
    8 years ago

We have a long driveway where one car can be parked behind another. We are a two car family so it isn't too awkward. An estate agent though did tell us to lose the front garden (a good square size which adds some distance between the house and the pavement) and pave over it as he says that that is now more desireable. We currently have an 80's house and I think paving over coupled with the style of the house would be the kiss of death to the kerb appeal when it comes to sell! Instead we are focusing on making the lawn lush and green and are planting a hedge all the way around as it will frame an otherwise rather bland house!

• Adam Ash
    8 years ago

We have electric gates leading to a paved front area with room for about 3/4 cars. We also have a garage to the side of the house. The idea is to remove the paving and replace with gravel up to the garage from the gates and lawn on the rest of the area.

I'm more of a fan of gravel and grass than stone paving.

• k11agl
    8 years ago
    @alant1000 I'm totally in agreement with you. We live in a block of flats and have a space under our building. I don't want to get back to the days of working your socks off during the day, coming home to a carpark lottery. We are looking to scale up thanks to a little one and parents visiting that need more space, and a garage is a must must (or secure parking for at least one car, we need two). We were gutted that one of the dream houses around us had their garage converted to a dinning room!! Sorry, but that's a no for me. A garage is where a car lives, not a room where the family eats or watch telly.
  • PRO
    Penny Dixon Architects
    8 years ago

@k11agl : I too am astonished and frustrated by the number of people who convert garages into random rooms, usually a bad conversion, poorly thought out and often under insulated. Where there have been many conversions on one street the tell tale sign is the lack of parking, and a street clogged with cars on the road. I came across many of them when house hunting, but would never consider purchasing one as the garage provides much needed outdoor storage (I have 3 bikes, partner has 2, and 3 kids with 1 bike each) and with a few wily ideas you can still get a car in there as well. Removing storage (including built in cupboards) in favour of extra 'space' is never a good idea, a shortcut to chaos, IMEO, and there is always another solution if you have time to consider it.

Going back to the original question, permeable paving should always be used if you intend to create parking spaces where there was once greenery. There should always be the opportunity to allow water to permeate into the ground rather than to flow into the already overworked drainage system. I guess it's a personal choice, but I would try to create a parking space while retaining as much planting as possible.

• Adam Ash
    8 years ago

@Elbowroom Architecture most of the houses I viewed before selecting mine had converted garages, too. I think primarily because they all had driveways enough for one or two cars, so the garage was surplus to requirements.

• Emmeline Westin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@supergirlvintage - In our most recent landscaping and gardening survey we found that 44% of people who were planning a garden upgrade, were reducing the size of their natural lawn. There definitely seems to be a trend to pave over, whether it's for a parking space or a patio. The bees can't be happy!

• crowningfashion
    8 years ago

@Emmeline - poor bees - my neighbour has also replaced his back lawn with artificial grass. I feel sorry for the birds who swoop looking for worms :( My vote is definitely for greenery!

• pilarj
    8 years ago

The previous owner concreted the tiny front garden. It looks terrible so we will be digging up 1/2 of it to plant & have a path to the front door and will have some sort of permeable green paving for one car. We have converted the garage (Yes! ElbowRoom & AG11 : o ). Before you get upset we gutted the whole ground floor and now have room for an open-plan good sized kitchen, dining room & family room, as well as a loo & storeage room. The whole space has been brilliantly insulated underneath and works much better as a family house. In London parking etc is so limited/expensive & public transportation so extensive we don't have a second car, we use Zip Cars & cabs if we need a second car for something.

• slimberley
    8 years ago
    On street car parking lottery was wearing me down - getting in the shopping and a screaming baby frays the nerves, especially when it's tipping it down and you can't park near your house.
    Now finally have a drive and it's great.
    Although never having had one before, I soon learnt about the unexpected downside of paved drives. Early shift + freezing weather = ice rink and badly grazed hand from going a*** over t**!
    Must get some salt before next winter.....
  • Laraine Clarke
    8 years ago
    We live on the main street into town, though fortunately down a long drive. There is no street parking and the streets off are always crammed. As we have quite a large garden we are planning to make a parking bay for three cars with extra parking in front of the garage and turning space. So our barbeques are restricted to three or four car loads. I could not live without parking space. How does one unload shopping for instance?
  • milfordmaid
    8 years ago

F I had a red AC Cobra -I'd live in it!

• PRO
    Ensign Accessories
    8 years ago
    Our apartment has one dedicated car space, but we have two cars. Simple - bought apartment next door, about to convert into one apartment so will end up with 2 spaces. A bit extreme but hey ho.
  • tamp75
    8 years ago
    We are lucky enough to have parking for 3 cars (4 if you park in front of another & block the driveway). We are about to convert our garage! Actually we're knocking it down & rebuilding it with space underneath for bike storage. The position of the garage means that you can't actually drive a car into it without a great deal of difficulty! Before we moved here I don't think it had ever been used for anything other than a workshop / storeroom. Fortunately we do have the space to build another garage in the future - when we can afford it!
  • Sandra Marshall
    7 years ago

Whole front of our house is paved. We have a garage, but it's inaccessible down a narrow shared drive with a dogleg turn. I am desperate to get some front garden back, just need to figure out how....

• Rachel Oakes
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

We have parking for at least 3 cars and an unused garage; wouldn't dream of buying a house without parking or a garden.

• A B
    7 years ago
    Unless I lived in a major city I wouldn't buy a house without parking. I do think cars parked right outside your window are very unsightly though and much prefer the terrace system of having a small road and parking/garages at the back of the garden. Never actually had this though so I guess there may be downsides too
  • Laura Thomas
    7 years ago
    I've always only considered properties with parking, and not having a garage was one of the big reasons for moving house.
    My husband has a love for motorbikes and I've spent winters with one in the corner of the sitting room/dinner!
  • Sven
    5 years ago

I have lived in houses with garages all my life and not once have I seen anyone use the garage for their car. Partly it‘s a pain and all have driveways which are used for actual parking. My garage has always been full of storage items and exercise equipment and bikes. This must be true for 90% of the population that garages are wasted space and are car virgins.

• Laura Thomas
    5 years ago
    I’d never consider buying a home without its own parking. When buying a previous home which was new build, I made it a condition that one of the visitor bays was changed to be a second allocated space.

We are now lucky to have double garage (a must for the motorbikes and bicycles) plus parking (4 at a squeeze) and a front lawn.
  • PRO
    bubbles bathrooms and tiles
    5 years ago

Luckily i live down a private road and can fit at least 6 cars on my driveway. I couldn't live any where that didn't have parking.

• Anthony (Beano)
    5 years ago
    Luckily I’ve quite a bit of room for parking and a decent garage too, my garage is my man cave and properly used for what it was intended for! Not an overflow junk room.
  • iyanini14
    5 years ago

Beano that’s a gallery!

• Anthony (Beano)
    5 years ago
    Lol, not been on here to long but anyone who knows me knows I like my pics :-) thanks for the great comment :-)
  • PRO
    Garden Design Guru
    5 years ago

They paved paradise and out up a parking lot.

Then when it rained hard the toilets all overflowed.

Permeable paving and planting to soften and break it up could avoid widespread catastrophe.

If the space in front of house where big enough I would create something with planting around and amongst it. It isn't big though. It might just fit a tiny electric car but that wouldn't be adequate for work.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.