lizgunn

Lining paper or not?

Elizabeth
8 years ago
Hi there,
We've had two decorators quote for painting a large space.

The first one said that we would need the existing wallpaper stripped, the plaster filled where it needed, then paint applied directly. We asked him about lining paper and he said absolutely not - any painter who suggests lining paper should be shown the door.

The second decorator said that we would need the existing wallpaper stripped, then lining paper hung, then paint on top. When we asked him whether the lining paper was necessary, he said definitely - any decorator who said it wasn't was wrong.

Who should we go with? Both decorators have come highly recommended, but which one is correct. The room in question is a very large hallway with high ceilings in an old victorian house. The walls look sound but are probably the original plaster. It's going to be a big job so we do don't want to end up having to get it redone anytime soon. Any advice?

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.