spacie1977

What to do with ugly grade 2 listed kitchen

Lexi
8 years ago
I'm in the process of buying a lovely grade 2 listed country house. It's been rented out for a few years so although everything has been kept in good working order, the decor is horrendous. There's magnolia paint everywhere, everything's been done on the cheap, and decor wise it looks very unloved so a lot of work is needed to make it homely.
The kitchen will be the biggest challenge. To start with, the layout is poor as theres radiators against all the walls and no space to plumb in a dishwasher or washing machine. There's some cupboards which the estate agents boast are handmade. But they're not great, and don't offer nearly enough storage space. There's a lovely old Aga but I don't really like the wishy washy blue shade of the enamel. The tiles on the wall are cream and the glaze is cracked. They make me feel like I'm in a mental institution.
The floor tiles are not particularly nice but I think they may be part of the listing in which case, won't be changeable.
The oil boiler is hideous. It's huge, sticks out in the room and there's exposed pipes up the wall next to it. In our old house we moved the oil boiler outside to make more space in the laundry room. But that was simply a case of switching it to the other side of the wall. I can't see it is possible to move this boiler outside as it's not against an outside wall so the extra plumbing will cost too much. So I'm a bit stuck with knowing what to do with this room. Can anyone help with ideas? I was thinking maybe the boiler can be covered up with shallow built in cupboards that open up to allow access to the boiler, but don't know if this would be safe (does it need space around it to not overheat and let air circulate?).
The nice thing about this room is it has an east and south aspect so is filled with light most the day, and the French window opens south onto a large veranda. But that's the only really nice thing about it at the moment. I'd like to keep a traditional look but with a touch of modern/contemporary too.

Comments (15)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.