houzzukpolls

POLL: How many TVs do you have at home?

HouzzUK Polls
8 years ago

Some people don't just settle for a TV in the living room, they want one in their bedroom, kitchen and bathroom, too!

How many TVs do you have in your home? Let us know in which room(s) you've got your TV and feel free to upload photos!

Victorian School House · More Info

>5
I don't have a TV

Comments (87)

• Dawn
    8 years ago

Wow! I might see you there! Christmas sounds magical.

• silyab53
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Sounds like a plan! Would any other 'Houzzers' like a trip to Lundy Island at Christmas - or any other time? Wouldn't that be amazing!

• Related Discussions

POLL: How do you display your TV?

Q

Comments (9)
    Our TV stands on a dining room buffet, which is very good for storage and raises the TV up without having it on the wall (not possible to hide cords with concrete walls). No point in trying to disguise it here. It gets used every evening; besides there's really nowhere to hide it if I did want to.
    ...See More

POLL: Do you have a home bar?

Q

Comments (53)
    Drinks trolleys are having a resurgence, and our clients are loving them. No longer stuck in the seventies or providing props for 'Acorn Antiques'. Our modern drinks trolley 'Juniper' is a British designer super-functional drinks station where everything is you need is at your fingertips. It is bang up to date and includes a built-in mini fridge, storage drawers and bottle shelves. Perfect. We love it! https://www.juliettesinteriors.co.uk/product/the-most-perfect-modern-gin-trolley/
    ...See More

POLL: How many cups of tea/coffee do you drink daily?

Q

Comments (2)
    up to 15 i'm afraid...have switched to decaf now :-(
    ...See More

POLL: Do you have a home cinema?

Q

Comments (21)
    A Home cinema is a great thing to have, we have one. If you're thinking of it, we recommend considering flexibility and the fullest possible use for the room where you may have your finest sound system, as well as cinema screen. A snug place for family and friends to gather and enjoy time together, separate from the living room, retractable screen, perhaps a library or gaming centre. With the right layout and design you could have retractable walls at one end to open up those facilities and sound system for wider enjoyment and larger parties.
    ...See More
  • alant1000
    8 years ago
    I have never bought into the argument that watching TV is somehow anti social or dumbs down family life. People wouldn't think twice of taking the family to to cinema, and no one frowns on that.
    The image that people sit there in silence and watch soaps, loose women, and trash whilst eroding the brain is basically a bit pompous.
    What about all the things we can learn on TV - the news, documentaries, gardening, house related etc? Do people really think they have to be seen to read a book to learn or appear sophisticated? We have 2 TVs in my house, and after a long day at work if me or my girlfriend want to relax and unwind in front of the TV (in our bedroom) then that's all good in my book :)
  • User
    8 years ago
    For me silence is a great luxury, can't remember the last time I heard nothing more than wind,rain,thunder, waves etc.
  • silyab53
    8 years ago

I can! On Lundy! LOL

• Sonia Goul-Wheeker
    8 years ago

Just the one in the living room and that's enough! It's nice to have some rooms TV free :) Encourages you to get a good book out!

• Annette Canning
    8 years ago
    This is bad - I frequently find myself watching TV in the lounge, reading a book AND doing stuff on my iPad. All at the same time. Shocking!!
  • silyab53
    8 years ago

@annette1726 - Ditto, but only laptop and TV and I end up thinking 'what was that programme all about?'

• sslorach
    8 years ago
    I have one flat screen we use for a TV, but we can watch TV from any of our devices. We tend not to watch TV though, haven't watched free to air in over a year. We prefer listening to the radio or music. When we do switch on the TV we usually watch a Netflix movie or use it to scroll through photos. Great conversation piece when entertaining.
  • Julia S
    8 years ago
    Just thinking; did a burglar set this poll?!!
    Anyone that's ticked 5 or more, watch out!

We always said no TVs in the kids' bedrooms, but it's kind of redundant as our sons don't seem bothered about watching TV, they'd much rather play computer games.
  • Juliet Docherty
    8 years ago

Jasmall, I sympathise with this. Here's a tip - I bought my kids a really good Roland electronic drumkit and they love it! Whenever they ask to use the computer I say 'Nope - go on the drum kit'.....

• Lila 1410
    8 years ago

I have two but one doesn't work. (Very reluctant to throw anything away.)

• philip mills
    8 years ago
    We have 7 TVs
  • Steve Chapman
    8 years ago
    We have 4 TVs. A Bang and Olufsen in each of our two lounges, a 42 inch Sony on the kitchen wall and a smaller Sony in the bedroom
  • Jan Johnson
    8 years ago

Just 2, old one in front room and a brand new one in the kitchen/diner. I watch it whilst eating meals. front room for Grand daughter to play her DVD's

• bourale
    8 years ago
    4 - small one in kitchen, big in sitting room (not used much!) and cheaper one in bedroom which gets used ALOT lol! Really I should have the best
  • bourale
    8 years ago
    ...sorry pressed Submit too early!!...really should have best TV in my bedroom as gets used the most and will do when I replace it. The 4th TV is in the spare room for guests
  • stefanmh
    8 years ago
    We have 3. Living room, main bedroom and the kitchen/diner. Yes the kitchen. Not seen any kitchen tv's listed in your poll. Why is this?
    We eat in our kitchen and hardly ever use the dining room now. Our son used to have a TV in his bedroom but has his own family now.
  • Joe-Anna McKay
    8 years ago
    2 tv's. BOTH of them in the living room, side by side. One big one and one small one. It means my boyfriend can game while I watch netflix next to him. We take turns over the volume. :)
  • gordanna
    8 years ago
    We have three tvs. One 65inches in our living room, one 42 in our rec room and a 32 in our bedroom. I have a no tv in the kids room policy that I'm not willing to strike a compromise on.
  • smartie08
    8 years ago

We didn't have a TV for the first few years of marriage so when we were first given one I watched it constantly. The novelty wore off and I soon realised there really wasn't much that interested me besides The Apprentice and the Bake Off. Now I'm too busy so watch a DVD about once a year. My husband very rarely watches sport. Our kids get the most use out of it - it's too easy to sit them in front of a DVD when we need a little peace!

• stefanmh
    8 years ago
    Posh TV's eh lol
  • Laura
    8 years ago
    My partner and I are sport mad, so the TV is always on. We both love football, but I watch cycling, F1, tennis and a bit of NFL, and my partner watches golf and rugby (boo), so thankfully the kitchen has now been finished and includes a second TV.

I still have time to read a book a week too.
  • stefanmh
    8 years ago
    Hi Laura.

Thank heavens some people aren't ashamed of admitting they enjoy watching TV and have more than one in the house.

My wife and I also love watching tennis, motor sport, football, golf etc etc.

The advantage of multiple sets is that my wife can watch what she likes while watch what I like. Simples!
  • Catherine Hounslow
    8 years ago

Two TV's . One in living room and one in the office / snug . My husband permanently has a laptop screen in front of him so I watch TV on my own really . It is not a shared activity now since the Internet . I think this is sad.

• milfordmaid
    8 years ago
    @annette - thats called multi-tasking!
  • milfordmaid
    8 years ago
    TV should be switched off when visitors arrive - unless joining you to watch a match/series finale/Eurovision.
  • milfordmaid
    8 years ago
    NO TV should be allowed in kitchen or kitchen/dining area. Should be part of building regs!
  • silyab53
    8 years ago

I found that my 'ex' and I were having too many TV dinners and not communicating, so I suggested we eat in the TV free dining room. We both travelled abroad all the time with our work so I anticipated lots of chat and laughter about our various trips.

It totally backfired as he had seemingly lost the art of conversation. That's when I realised I should lose him!

• milfordmaid
    8 years ago
    We have 4 TVs for 9 people. No TVs in children's bedroom under any circumstances - tho now can watch everything on mobile devices. 1 main TV in sitting room. 1 TV in our bedroom. 1 TV in second sitting room - rarely if ever used. All only have terrestrial channels. Radio only in kitchen/diner. 1 large humongous TV in basement den/man-space with channels. Used by men-folk to watch ALL the sport - soccer. golf, darts, tennis, rugby, football, hurling, snooker. ALL the building + make-over programmes. And ALL the pimp-my-car programmes. I rarely venture down there. Though I have kidnapped it to watch WDYTYA + no darts, snooker, soccer will shift me. I must say that TV is my favourite winter sport. Not too bothered with it during the spring or summer. Btw - Blue Heelers re-run late Sat nights 4am-ish!
  • tonnybw
    8 years ago
    Master bedroom,family room,Son's bedroom.
  • westport5050
    8 years ago

3 TVs. One in the master bedroom, one in living room & one in kitchen. Living room & kitchen are open plan so it can be a little noisy sometimes..

• PRO
    Floor Monster
    8 years ago

Most of our team have 1, but use laptops and tablets as a second viewing device.

• Natalie Patton
    8 years ago
    I'm actually embarrassed to say I have 1 in every room saves arguments over whose watching what. What do people with no TV in the house do.... Speak to each other?!?
  • stefanmh
    8 years ago
    I can't believe that some people on here feel embarrassed that they have multiple tv's, or even have one at all.
    Three cheers for the poster who has a 42" screen in the bedroom. We only have a 26" but maybe put one on our Xmas wish list lol.
  • pavinia
    8 years ago

Just the one for us, which has 3 blue stripes that run through when watching. I think it may be time for an upgrade!

• milfordmaid
    8 years ago
    @pavania that rings a bell. We had a second TV at home as children back in early 70s. Main TV was a humongous Grundig colour TV with a REMOTE control (size of a brick). 1 brother used to commandeer the colour TV, despite the rest of us (4). As he was too awkward to get around Mum used to usher us into the other room - "Can't you just watch the other TV". This had 4 of us huddled on the floor in front of a 14" portable B+W screen, tuning in the channel with a turn-knob, twiddling with the aerial to get rid of the snow + fuzz, and thumping it to clear the blue lines or at least stop them from jumping, whilst Little Lord Fauntleroy lounged across a large sofa ! Watching TOTP on a 14" B+W screen was no joke. He's still as awkward today .... :))
  • Nha Mccartney
    8 years ago
    We have 6 TV in our house, 4 in 4 bedroom,1 in kitchen and 1 in the living room.
  • PRO
    Fantastic Furniture Assembly
    8 years ago

To be honest? The less TV you have at home nowadays, the better you are.

• stefanmh
    8 years ago
    Fantastic Furniture: what do you mean "the better you are"? If a customer asked you to instal a TV in 4 new flat pack bedrooms would you decline lol?
  • PRO
    Антон Петров | ANTON PETROV Unique Home
    8 years ago

In the living room and small one in the kitchen.

• PRO
    Clever And Simple
    8 years ago

I install home automation equipment and lighting controls. I don't have a TV in the house : )

I do though, have a projector with a retractable screen. This has totally changed the way we watch TV. We only watch what we want to - which is mainly programs recorded via Youview or films. When the projector isn't on, the screen is out of sight in the ceiling and the room is setup for more social activities. Personally, I couldn't be without the radio. We have speakers in every room for this and music in general. Upstairs this is done with inceiling speakers so again, it is a discrete system.

• PRO
    Nomow Artificial Grass Ltd
    8 years ago

One in the living room and one in the bedroom :-)

• PRO
    DesignWorks
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Not massive TV fans - Currently have two but only use one. We prefer listening to music - in most rooms - using Sonos (wireless system) and love it!

• PRO
    Airborne Lens
    7 years ago

we have 4

• Hazel Heron
    7 years ago

Three We have one in the front room one in the conservatory and one in the master bedroom Love watching my favourite programmes in bed

• PRO
    Laara Copley-Smith Design
    7 years ago

I added my Non and haven`t for most of my adult life ( almost 50 ) earlier & I am astounded concluding silyab53 could be right ..... society is a slave to TV. And there so ugly in my mind. How different we all are really fascinating .

• Stephen Edwards
    7 years ago

I have rather too many, however most are for looking at rather than watching.

They do still work, but it's a lot of fiddling with adaptors and digital boxes so they are never used

• PRO
    Design Innovation Ltd
    6 years ago

TVs in the kitchen as well as the living room are important so that you can enjoy a movie or watch the news while you are busy cooking

• Hazel Heron
    6 years ago

Five 1 in the conservatory 1 in the lounge 1 in each of the 3 bedrooms

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.