dishthetrish

What style of kitchen?

Trisha Goodwin
8 years ago

We have just bought this house, it is ten years old, individually built in a Scottish village, based on a fairly traditional look. The kitchen is going to be knocked through to dining room to make a larger kitchen/diner, which we have always preferred. Any ideas for a kitchen style in keeping with the house? Please note - the decor and belongings are previous owners! We are stripping out the house at the moment, ready for new work.

Comments (28)

• PRO
    Akiva Projects Ltd
    8 years ago

You should rather go for traditional look/style but always can bring some contemporary elements in. Rustic or Country style would also look nice.

mrsmcee74 gave you some nice examples that I also like.

StJames Design Interiors

• Related Discussions

What's your dream kitchen style?

Q

Comments (59)
    I saw this kitchen in a magazine recently and finally found it here on Houzz. Love the bold colors and open airy feel to the whole house- this would be my dream kitchen (house) if I had the $$$ to redesign or build from scratch. There are more pictures of the actual the kitchen in the magazine...but not on here sadly.
    ...See More

what style kitchen should be this

Q

Comments (8)
    I'm not sure you'd be able to make that one big expanse and take the central column out, if you were to go down that route, you'd have to get a structural engineer in to take a look at it, then submit an application to building control at your local council. You've also got two different heights so the whole lot would have to be changed or it would look funny. It would be quite a deep RSJ that you'd have to put in, and as it crosses the line of your kitchen wall units, it would interupt it further and you'd end up probably putting all the wall units lower than you'd want. Besides which, i actually like the fact that it's nice and zoned at the moment. I like your idea of the ceramic wooden look tiles and with a large expanse like that I would not have any wooden look units, they'd clash. Therefore your idea of the Olive green would look amazing ! I couldn't get the flooring to match the worktops, but you have to imagine a worktop matching the colour of your floor.................Loved the idea of the Island that Modus Kitchens had by the way. they definitely sound like they know what they're doing !
    ...See More

choosing a dark kitchen - help

Q

Comments (30)
    Hi Tani, We have a rich offer of our matt kitchen splashbacks/balustrades. We've just updated the website. Example work: More at http://www.sunstudio.london/matt/ We do whole kitchen installations, would you like me to assign a personal advisor to you? It is free, you can discuss what are you planning to introduce and we will give you instant, no obligations quote. Let me know your contact details if you are interested, we beat our competitors by 20-30% in terms of prices while maintaining top-tier quality. It is all because we manufacture all of the materials by ourselves.
    ...See More

What are your kitchen style preferences?

Q

Comments (1)
    Interesting, each has its own place and all are valid. I have however witnessed that we have a movement towards eclectic juxtaposition; Here the style of each object has its own back story and thus is not a simple style statement in itself. Reading between the line and now styles is an art and craft in itself. The tapestry of life goes on....
    ...See More
  • PRO
    creativeorg
    8 years ago

What a great project! How exciting for you. I agree that a shaker style kitchen would look great. They are clean and simple and you can still have a contemporary twist. I'm guessing you are probably planning on having an island unit? How about having this in a different colour. You can also use different work surfaces for the island and the main kitchen? Hope this helps.

Portfolio · More Info

• PRO
    Jessica Buckley Interiors
    8 years ago

Hello Trisha -

Your new home looks lovely and I am sure the new dine-in kitchen will look great once you have knocked through walls!

A traditional-style kitchen would work really well for the style of the house; as mentioned in the previous commons "Shaker" style kitchens are the type you might like to look at. To give it a fresh look and avoid it from looking like a twee country kitchen you could use contemporary colours and finishes to make it look up to date whilst being sympathetic to the traditional style of the house.

I would suggest painting lower cabinets in a darker colour - something dramatic such as Farrow and Ball's "Downpipe" - and keep the walls and upper cabinets (if you are having them - sometimes open shelving can be more suitable than upper cabinets) in a pale shade such as Farrow and Ball's Cornforth White. This is a never-fail colour combination and looks beautiful with all work surfaces.

We are based in Edinburgh and work on projects throughout Scotland so if you need more help please do get in touch!

Best wishes

Jessica

• turquoisetree53
    8 years ago

is it for a young family, or are you retired?

• crowningfashion
    8 years ago

You have a lovely new home. Externally the house suggests both traditional and modern contemporary so you could really go for whatever style is true to your taste and furnishings. I wonder if you would consider moving the radiator and putting in a column radiator to the side wall and having floor to ceiling bi-fold doors the entire width of the window wall in order to really take in the gorgeous view that you have?

• Trisha Goodwin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

A big thank you to everyone for all your helpful suggestions! I did consider shaker, but the last two houses had cream shaker type kitchens in them when purchased and they were a bit twee for me, even updated with handles etc, plus the ledge around the frame bit of door is also a constant dust trap/extra thing to clean. I cannot stand old fashioned belfast sinks, argas, vintage style taps, etc. So I thought maybe glossy white shaker (or even glossy handle less style) but what worktops? I would have gone for real wood to soften things (I love that scandi white cupboards/real wood thing) but we have so much wood everywhere (which we cannot change nor want to) pine inner doors, windows, skirting boards etc, actually I quite like them, but they need waxing from time to time, so don't want any further wood surfaces that need treating. Then I came unstuck. Granite is too expensive and looks hard to me, laminates look awful and fake. I would go for a peninsular rather than island. We are a semi retired couple; I taught on a textiles degree until recently, and hope to go back to own mixed media/painting. I understand the suggestion about bi-fold doors, but the living room already goes into a garden room/studio (with a better view) which has very large french windows out, so this will be strictly an internal dining/kitchen. We are also trying to just knock down one wall, do new kitchen, decorate and make curtains/blinds ourselves as we are now living on one pension - sad but true! Should I just put up with the work involved and go for more wood in the form of worktops?

• Juliet Docherty
    8 years ago

If it was my house I would consider something with a bit of a midcentury vibe. Shaker kitchens are beautiful but I think something a little edgier could work.

Contemporary Muskoka Cottage · More Info

Venice Island Mid-Century Modern · More Info

• presidentmr
    8 years ago

Hi Trisha, congratulations on your new home. I agree with you about a smooth colour finish rather than shaker wood. A wooden counter top is easily scratched however so I would probably opt for low maintenance there too. I'd probably go for a speckled granite top but it can be pricey (some suppliers have large off its at a good discount). There are lots of cheaper options out there, eg corian. I really like white smooth doors, flat might be more appropriate for your home than gloss. You have a lovely home that isn't absolutely 'traditional old cottage' so I think this would work and brighten the space.

I think a small island would create easier flow than a peninsula.

Future proofing for your retirement might include; low maintenance flooring (I LOVE good quality Lino), a pantry or full height cupboard to avoid bending and reaching. Drawers rather than under counter shelves. Eye level oven beside lots of uncluttered workspace.

Question: is it possible to walk into the dining area from the hall rather than the kitchen? My pet hate is people under my feet in the kitchen and untidy worktops greeting visitors. If my kitchen was a 'corridor' it would drive me nuts.

Best of luck and enjoy!

• presidentmr
    8 years ago

P.S. Could the washing machine and dryer move to a back hall or utility?

• Lynn Jenkinson
    8 years ago
    cream or white modern country look must move washer into utility room and have that room matching units too have appliences integrated don't have high gloss work tops they a nightmare
  • taralmaguire
    8 years ago

Using wood in a kitchen is quite traditional, warm and durable. The trouble with timber doors is that they can be quite dark. One way around it is to have a lighter painted cabinet door and a timber worktop. Belfast sinks and range cookers add to the farmhouse feel. Hope these images help.

• Deborah Sneddon
    8 years ago

French doors out to the garden would be fab! We have had them put in our diner and the amount of light they let in is amazing! I did it for the light, really, as the room is north facing & dark and we live in Scotland, so the days that they will be open will be few, but they look great, have opened up the room, let in the light and we love the view out to the garden too.

• maymay50
    8 years ago
    Looking at your house i think a nice country kitchen would look loverly may be with French doors leading to the garden.
  • PRO
    Pat Oliver Interior Design
    8 years ago

Hi Trisha,

Since you don't like having to clean doors with mouldings, you need to look at a slab door for your units. To keep the kitchen from looking too modern, you might want to consider a wood grained effect in a vinyl wrap. A weathered board would look more silvery, so consider a medium- dark grey colour. Keep the grain vertical. If you team this with a light laminate worktop from Bushboard, like Lava Dust or Crema Mascarello or a solid surface material, light in colour. Don't use a gloss door if you want to keep a cottage feel.

Since the back door opens into the utility room (less floor area to keep clean), you could go light on the floor with a natural stone tile that has grey in it.

It's a lovely home and I'm jealous of how the rooms seem to flow.

• eehchristie
    8 years ago

Oh that caught my eye ... someone else who cannot stand Belfast sinks and Agas. So why not go for a much more contemporary kitchen? Definitely agree with other comments to go for a slab door if you don't like cleaning all those pesky crevices. My kitchen is pretty contemporary. One of the best buys were the floor tiles. The colour is warm, but they are so forgiving. Good luck with your planning. Enjoy it.

• Trisha Goodwin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for all your valuable comments as before, and for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it everyone! To respond to some of the additional comments - the feel of the house is not cottagey, it is more of a modern version of a larger traditional Scottish villa/house. It has a very commanding high entrance hall (where I want eventually to put a very large chandelier, somewhat tongue in cheek. We are a early retired couple, but I hate to use the term, since this sets off comments about easy access cupboards etc, which horrify me (sorry!). My husband is in the local mountain rescue service and I have left teaching art to concentrate on my own work. I cannot have anything wood grain as there is already so much pine in every room - door, windows, skirting boards etc. I also want to keep the dark oak laminate which is in some rooms downstairs and extend it into the new kitchen dining room for continuity. There are granite tiles elsewhere in the house (I don't want more than two floor finishes downstairs) but my husband does not fancy hard tiles in the kitchen dining, which we have had before. Eehchristie above, I like your blue/teal cupboards and wonder if this sort of thing would work? I am so glad I'm not alone is hating belfast sinks and agas, why are we so backward looking in this country - I have inlaws in Finland and they think its terribly amusing, especially the "old straw on roves", which of course is thatch!

• eehchristie
    8 years ago

Trisha, if you would like to see more kitchen pics can you email me ?(my name of houzz @ gmail ). I can send you a link.

• Ruth Payot
    8 years ago
    a woman on the go with two kids
  • lizzystir
    8 years ago

Hi, if at all possible I would go with the doors into the garden and make the dining area your kitchen. I think we spend more time in the kitchen than at the dining table.

• paddyart
    8 years ago

I would love to see something that reflects the local colours - how about either of the above?

Not a belfast sink in sight but admittedly the first picture does have ledges!

• Trisha Goodwin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sorry eehchristie, my computer did not seem to accept your email address for some reason known to itself only! Yes, I agree spend more time in kitchen than dining, but don't want another set of french doors into garden - we have those elsewhere in house already. Also, don't want the extra expensive of rewiring/plumbing/drainage etc to put kitchen where dining room is, or have the dining room at front of house looking at road. Paddyart, yes I was trying to get things inside which reflect local colours - as you will see from front of house, the porch is made from reclaimed local sandstone, which I love and there is a mixture of granite and sandstone river rocks in front wall and garden border edges (which I found in garden and lugged into place myself!). Do you think the sandstone colour (pinky red) would work as a highlight/accent colour with the grey? I dont want a too frosty grey feeling on cold highland mornings! Sorry, I will go away soon and not bother you all; thanks everyone for suggestions, much, much appreciated and getting there gradually with all your kind help.

• eehchristie
    8 years ago

Hi Trisha, I don't know about others, but you are not bothering me. send me a private email to echristie@gmx.com and I'll send you a link to photos. E

• paddyart
    8 years ago

Hi Trisha. i love the palette of pink reds that you want to use to reflect the outside but somehow they say to me soft furnishings not kitchen colours. I think good lighting and warm floors (your wood with any normal central heating system will be warm whereas stone floors might require extra help such as underfloor heating) will avoid your kitchen feeling frosty.

Have you considered painting the pine door frames a soft neutral colour - this would also give a more timeless feel than the current pine.

• Trisha Goodwin
    Original Author
    8 years ago

EehChristie, I will email you separately for link as suggested, your kitchen layout looks lovely,
    thanks! Paddyart, I do want to keep all the pine as it is, because it does reflect the highland style so much, and for consistency throughout the house. I found the attached photo of a kitchen, which has the red sandstone colour of porch/local stone, sorry, perhaps I didn't describe it very well, its actually a bit brick red (been outside to look at it again!) it also has the grey colour of other stones in wall outside house and the veins in sandstone. I also quite like the contemporary feeling with nods to classic, i.e. the boarding on island, which looks a bit shaker style, without being it. What do you think, this is the closest to a solution I have found so far!

• paddyart
    8 years ago

I love this - good find!

• Lori Chapman
    8 years ago

Something like this would look nice in your house, not too modern but not traditional either. I know you said you want to try to keep away from wood as there is already so much through the house already but the matt lacquer white door is bright and simple and if you wanted you could add another colour in contrast to where the wooden doors are? Don't let the green splash-back take your eyes away from the kitchen, you can get glass in any colour you like so it doesnt have to be so 'in your face'!

• PRO
    Oliver's Kitchens
    8 years ago

Hi,

As you said your house is of a slightly more modern design - a bold coloured contemporary/traditional hybrid would adapt very well. As you can see by the pictures the kitchen looks very modern on the outside but retains the traditional solid oak on the inside. Take a look at our website Bespoke In Oak to view this kitchen and many others.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.