catherine_mc_seymour

Advice to make my cold, plain, open plan space feel warm and inviting!

My open plan living room / kitchen has a fairly contemporary
design. The colour palette is very
neutral, but it feels very jarring and along with lot of hard edges and sharp
corners the room feels very plain/sterile/cold.

It currently has a few dominating features that, while
not necessarily to my taste, I will have to work around (including large glass
doors into the bedroom and a stainless steel and black kitchen)

I have struggled to incorporate colour into the room
at all. I have attached some images of
the styles I really like, but I will clearly need to work within the
constraints of some existing features.

I have some ideas, including: painting the walls pale
grey, staining the floor a darker colour, perhaps adding some pendants lamps in
the kitchen.

I would be really grateful for some advice!

Thanks

Catherine

My house:

Houzz Designs I love:

Transitional Kitchen · More Info

Barn Conversion Handpainted Shaker Kitchen · More Info

Comments (32)

• Ash McGregor
    8 years ago

Not sure having the blinds closed in the kitchen shows it of to its best potential. Making a change to the cooker wall would make a big impact for a small outlay, whether paint, glass splashback or tiles. A rug in the living space and a couple of big structural plants throughout would help.

catherine_mc_seymour thanked Ash McGregor
  • Related Discussions

Open Plan Room Design Advice

Q

Comments (10)
    Dear James, You have a great feature there with your fireplace and wood burner. I really like the exposed brickwork, and the way this feature within your space flows through from the fireplace, stairs and in your kitchen/ dining & breakfast room. This is a really good focal point for your space in setting a theme. The larger shelf that sweeps round that you currently have an armchair in front of can ideally be removed with the unit under it also being taken out. This would open the area near the stairs; allowing you space to move through into the centre area easily. Opening the stairs themselves will allow light to flood through, this will greatly improve the access you have to natural light. Try to go with a unified neutral tone that reflects the natural light in the day, I'm not saying brilliant white here, a warm cream, with a sandy undertone, one that ties in with the beautiful wood surfaces in your kitchen. Consider spotlights that positioned correctly will illuminate key focal points in the evening to create an atmosphere, and highlight the textures and features of the space. Mirrors are brilliant pieces for reflecting light and creating the feel of more space, and positioned right can help the flow through your space. Use accessories to define your zones such as seating area and kitchen. experiment with pattern and colour to create your theme. I hope these simple but effective tips help to give you a start on your ideas for your space. We are here if you would like to discuss any of these further, please don't hesitate to contact us. Kind Regards Michael Jhala Designs
    ...See More

Colors/design for open plan area

Q

Comments (26)
    I think maybe Granite in the standard colours is actually quite a dated product. I know that people still use it. Maybe i'm more against it as i've lived with ours for nearly 20 years. The granite was very expensive and although we've changed units, we haven't changed the work top. I know my wife hates it, as it's pure black and hard to keep shiny. We've got a beautiful pale silestone ( polar cap ) in our new house, if we ever get there. Have to sell this one first, and this side of Brexit just isn't happening!! Good luck with your project.
    ...See More

Colour dilemma north/south facing open plan space

Q

Comments (53)
    Dulux Rock Salt is a grey but off-white which reflects a lot of light but dries darker than a white. It joins warmer colours like blush or grape well and the Laura Ashley Garrat side table in honey you can see sits well too. It easily matches your marble but would join your tiles, accent wall and floor up I'm positive. This is in our westerly facing landing and stairs which doesn't get a massive amount of light; painted this week (so not quite finished). In my view, yellowy greys look more of a beige too and would look sickly with your other colours (the dust sheets you can see are creamy beige for context). Rock salt looks very clean without out being cold.
    ...See More

Warm White Paint for Open Plan

Q

Comments (6)
    Warm whites tend to have yellow in them. I think the whitest white from F&B is All White. Worth a try? I have a north east sitting room and I’ve painted it Cromarty, a soft green. It’s not a warm shade to be honest, but sits well with a red Persian carpet. You will find the room will cosy up once you have added all the accessories, art, plants etc.
    ...See More
  • catherine_mc_seymour
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you Laura.

Your comments are really helpful. I will need to keep the existing worktops and kitchen cupboards, but I think you are right on the stools and will look into some wooden options.

The living room is better but also needs softening up a bit, as it feels so bland and masculine. I am considering new curtains, as the navy blue seems to add to the monochrome feel which I am really trying to move away from!

I am hoping that pale grey walls may soften things a bit, but would like to try and add some colour maybe some pinks to the room. I find colour really difficult!

• catherine_mc_seymour
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Ash! I couldn't agree more on the back wall - it is SO plain and really feels like looking into a big hole at the moment!

Helpful advice. I have also thought of adding in some shelves to this wall, though if so would want to ensure that they don't look to clumsy/messy.

• Jonathan
    8 years ago

It kind of depends on what budget is available. There are several things that you could do:

Swap the island worktop for wood

Chimney breast- clad in quartzite

Paint- find a punchy colour (perhaps mustard) and paint blocks of colour (perhaps in the kitchen on the French door wall only, on the wall with low doors behind the TV and in the recesses of the built in alcoves).

Floor- add a patterned rug with the accent colour in it.

Accessories- use the accent colour in accessories such as table lamp shades, cushions, picture mounts etc

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hello Catherine,

I think you have a fabulous home and the kitchen is really gr8! Love the blind it does look good.. I think your kitchen is far more interesting and modern actually than the images you have posted of others so I suggest just a few little tweaks..... 3 things I noticed that you could have a look at..

Firstly I would not change anything in the kitchen with possibly the exception of the black worktop and island.. A lighter granite or concrete would be wonderful, exactly the same style.. The rear wall could possibly have some shelving either side of the extractor.. really plain and painted the colour of the walls.. for nice pieces of bone china or serving bowls.. cups etc..

The walls with the framed pictures are a little small, possibly add a couple more.. I like the chalk board and you could possibly have a couple..

The dark blind and curtains might benefit from having something lighter. They draw the eye to them and don't blend well.. the other thing is that in the living room they don't even open all the way past the bay.. So do try to find a longer track to take them past the window and sit either side of the window frame so the full bay is in view..

I like the idea of wooden stools in the kitchen.. so many bar stools are absolutely horrible. Have a pile of lovely chopping boards and some marble too on the back wall rather than at the side.. ... pestle and mortar that type of thing and chopping board.. Large wooden fruit bowl on the island....

Possibly put all the spice and condiment thingies in a row on the cooker in a cupboard..so people can focus on the fabulous oven!

One last thing in the living room.. could you perhaps see another placement for the tv... It's blocking the french doors, i'd move the pic away from the fire opening.. So people can see how great it is..... You have a lovely home! Much much nicer than those other images! : ))

• minnie101
    8 years ago

Hi. Your home looks fantastic! I agree with lots of the the other comments. Add wooden bar stools. Add shelves either side of the oven and fill with new and vintage accessories in different colours, material, height, etc. I'd paint the island grey, I like an inky blue as it adds warmth but the pastel grey in your 2nd pic would work. Maybe change that worktop to a marble Quartz if in budget? I would add pendant lights over it too if they fit? Hard to tell from the pic. Also add a couple of plants or herbs to the kitchen area. Add a patterned rug big enough for all the sofa feet to sit on. The walls would look good in a pale grey, have a look at farrow and ball strong white, if you add an accent colour, maybe a mustard as jonathan suggested or your favourite colour. I'd change the curtains and blinds to blend in with the ŵall colour. Go for curtains that are just a 1/4 inch or so above the floor. Do you have a pendant in the lounge? If not, is there room for a floor lamp behind the sofa? Maybe accessorise the coffee table? Piles of books even look good with something in the middle. Sorry that sounds like a lot of changes but I think your home really does look great!

• Juliet Docherty
    8 years ago

What a lovely space. The pictures you have chosen that you love are different to your own in several ways. Firstly, they are tonally more harmonious - your interior has more very light/very dark contrasts. Secondly, your liked images are warmer in terms of materials. Weathered, characterful wood will always look warm and earthy, whereas you have quite a lot of steel and black granite. I would paint the walls a mid/pale stone colour with a very slight green undertone - this will bring out the warmth in the floor and should make the overall scheme look less jarring. I would replace the steel splash-back (too much steel) with a glass one (maybe olive green) and add rustic oak shelves either side. A huge wicker pendant above the island would soften that area and introduce some texture. I would re-home the curtains if possible as they look rather full and dark for the bay window. Cluster your artworks into groups, and leave some wall spaces blank for breathing space. Consider adding mustard as an accent colour to complement the steel. Best of luck.

• PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    8 years ago

Fabric and paint could change everything very quickly and easily.

Replace dark draperies, Roman shade and louvered shutters with roller shades by Waverly.

http://www.stevesblindsandwallpaper.com/Waverly/Collection_List.aspx?styleId=664&colorid=30435&prodId=197

If you are a DIY kind of person, you may consider painting your coffee table.

Coordinate fabric to cover a few sofa pillows, roller blinds, simple covers for the backs of the kitchen chairs, and a table runner for the end of the island.

Group pictures in the kitchen and change the frames to a lighter shade (plus the one above the fireplace?).

Stove wall needs texture using tiles or stone and/or paint for color with a narrow shelf or two running entire length. Use shelf for bottles of oil/vinegar, potted herbs, a few decorative pieces.

The bow window sill is begging for a plant!

Try some less permanent changes by finding the colors that make your heart sing and enjoy your new home!!!

• catherine_mc_seymour
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you all so much for taking the time to take a look at my post. Your suggestions have all been tremendously helpful!!

Ideas I am now considering include:
    1. Painting the walls (generally) a very pale grey /stone
    2. Painting the wall at the back of the kitchen and the island base a deep blue (see pictures below) – which I am hoping should help to reduce the sharp contrast between the current white and black. Perhaps Juniper Ash by Little Green.
    3. Back wall – shelves, to add rustic wooden shelf on each side. Any tips as to the impact of choosing a particular height for this would be helpful.
    TreeFarmHouse – you suggested that this should be fairly narrow and run the entire width of the wall. I hadn’t considered going for something narrow and that seems like a great idea (thanks you!. However, is there any particularly logic for running the shelves the entire length – most pictures seem to show this and I guess it is simply more aesthetically pleasing?
    4. I am also considering partially tiling the back wall as some of you have suggested or alternatively, as suggested by Colour Happy replacing the oven splash back.
    5. Pendant lights – Colour Happy, thank you for all your advice re colour (as you can see I desperately need it) – I love the idea of having a pendant (or 3!) over the island. At the moment the light fittings extend beyond the length of the island work surface, would it look odd to have lights beyond and do you think one central one would fit better?
    6. Thanks to everyones comments on the picutres, it now seems so obvious where I have been going wrong and I have been looking at more ideas!
    7. Fabrics – curtains/cushions – thanks for the ideas, still thinking!
    8. Stools – love the idea of changing these to either a rustic wood or even more so to a fabric. Though struggling to find options for the latter.
    9. Floor - still thinking about re-staining slightly darker!

Thanks again!

Catherine
  • PRO
    Direct Trade Supplies
    8 years ago

Very nice place.

Perhaps some sort of flexible lighting around the shelving and picture frames could enhance a homely warmth? We love the pendants on the wooden beams btw!

• mrshste
    8 years ago

Lovely space. Like you say, it just needs some pops of colour. I'd probably go for a green or a yellow, or both! A few bright, clashing cushions, brighter curtains, and a few green plants like in the picture you shared above would just brighten the space up. And wouldn't cost the earth either.

• PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    8 years ago

Hi Catherine...Glad to hear you're moving on with your plans! ...As for the narrow shelving, I guess I wasn't very clear, but what I was envisioning was a narrow, warm, rustic oak shelf running from the end of the wall to the stainless backsplash on both sides. I think it would look and work best at a height that is 6-8 inches lower than the vent hood, and with a dark blue subway tile above and below to cover that whole wall. I love your colour choice for the island! I thought a fabric collection (stripes, geometric print, floral) in white/blues/grey/a yellowy-green would be striking to use for throw pillows, chair covers, maybe even framed as wall art, and roman shades... although I think bamboo & natural woven ones could work, too - especially with bamboo, wooden, basket pendants! So excited for you!!

[houzz=https://www.houzz.co.uk/products/fabric-by-the-metre-prvw-vr~38380103] found on Houzz Decor Fabrics

UncleParrot.com for lovely pendant lamps!

• jacksplash
    8 years ago

I really like your kitchen. I think will some colour and larger wall art it will be transformed.Good luck!

• PRO
    Jessica Buckley Interiors
    8 years ago

Hello Catherine -

I can see that you've had lots of great ideas for your kitchen redesign - I especially love the idea of Juniper Ash on the back kitchen wall which I think will look really bold and dramatic. Replacing the steel splash back with tiles will give the kitchen a less clinical look too - I suggest these lovely tiles from Fired Earth which would co-ordinate well with the paintwork. To add some colour, how about framing some large prints and hanging them on the wall either side of the cooker? Nothing too expensive (especially above the kettle!) but something to make the kitchen more personal and inviting.

I would suggest Cornforth white on all other walls (a really beautiful powdery grey from Farrow and Ball) and then adding colour through cushions & accessories in the sitting room and on the kitchen island - e.g. a beautiful fruit bowl. Large hurricane lamps (maybe a set of three in different sizes) would look very chic on the kitchen island too provided they wouldn't get in the way too much. Little homely touches like this will really soften the room and make it instantly more inviting and appealing.

Finally, adding a large area rug to the sitting room will be a great way to add colour & cosiness to the room.

Best wishes,

Jessica

Jessica Buckley Interiors

From top LHS:

"Barbican" pendant light, Jim Lawrence

For the kitchen wall & island: Juniper Ash, Little Greene

"Forecast" tiles, Fired Earth

For the other kitchen & living room walls: Cornforth White, Farrow & Ball

Wool rug, Jennifer Manners

"Paradiso" lamp in Cream, Pooky

Decorative vases, jessicabuckley.co.uk

Weathered Oak "Farmhouse" bar stool, Graham & Green

For blinds: "Rik Rak" by Kit Kemp, Christopher Farr cloth

Cushions: from a selection at jessicabuckley.co.uk and Vanderhurd

• PRO
    Rumbold-Ayers landscape designers
    8 years ago

As several people have mentioned, some more wood (e.g. the bar stools, picture frames) would bring the warmth of the timber floor up into the room.

But how about simply hanging a rug on the wall? Think warm colours, plus beige (to coordinate with the floor) and black (to coordinate with the worktops).... [E.g. something like this?[(https://www.houzz.co.uk/products/perfect-symmetry-flat-woven-rug-prvw-vr~31469249)

• turquoisetree53
    8 years ago

instant differences.....some large green plants? bring in some large paintings unframed or wood framed? some lovely vibrant textured ethnic/ Provence coloured fabric runners on the black surface island. The floor is just lovely as it is. inspired by your shutters etc, I woukd be inspired to go for the far east colonial look.

• Andrew Millar
    8 years ago
    more natural light is all you need my man
  • Suzanne Birnie
    8 years ago
    try using an accent colour in the living room and painting your back wall in the kitchen with that too. or a coloured glass splashback to match.
  • Sandra Field
    8 years ago
    Replacing the kitchen island with a large table and comfy dining chairs but then I am no fan of kitchen islands.
  • Fiona Tamplin
    8 years ago
    I love your kitchen, to warm it up I'd change the stools to wood with a funky fabric colour and use a softer shade across the back wall and use lighting to add more depth.
  • Fiona Tamplin
    8 years ago
    Changing the island worktop to a warm wood colour would also add interest
  • PRO
    Pat Oliver Interior Design
    8 years ago

Hi Catherine,

You have a lovely open plan kitchen and lounge, but as you say, it lacks punch and interest.

Since you're stuck with the stainless steel kitchen for the time being, you need to work with it and have some fun. A symmetrical arrangement of stainless steel shelves either side of the splash back for the cooker would allow you to put up interesting bottles, plants, china, etc. What about painting this wall a bright colour like Seville Orange from Crown and the other walls in natural white. You could also paint the base of the island in the Seville Orange.

In the seating area, use the orange colour and some others like plum or blue-grey in fabric patterns, have cushions made up for the seating area. Also an area rug large enough for the front feet of your sofas and the coffee table to sit on with colour would brighten up this area.

It's unfortunate that the TV is blocking a French window. Can it be moved somewhere else, perhaps the bay if the bottom shutters are never opened?

Instead of half of the bay window having plantation shutters, I would recommend a second upper row, which could be folded back or, if you don't need coverage for privacy on the upper windows, have an interesting, colourful valance. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=valance+and+plantation+shutters+for+a+bay+window&biw=1516&bih=839&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMIzdu7xO-FyAIVh0gUCh1aigXI&dpr=0.95#tbm=isch&q=valance++for+a+bay+window&imgrc=SjLxqYYGnQmhlM%3A

• Lily F
    8 years ago
    Such a lovely room, but I would want to warm it up a good bit. I would take my colours from that love beach picture you have in the living room - paint the walls a pale sandy / gold colour to warm everything up, change the dark curtains for some blue textured curtains that are less bulky so don't overtake the bay window, put up some floating shelves in the on the back kitchen walls and display some nice items to soften up the kitchen, change the barstools for ones that don't have thin metal legs, and put up a tasteful photo collage (individually framed photos in matching, one colour frames) on the right hand wall of the kitchen.
  • Mystic Home
    8 years ago

i think subconsciously you already know the answer. The 2 images you suggested both have ONE thing in common: WOOD,. Wood is a warm inviting material that adds texture and natural element which your lovely modern kitchen lacks. you could try and incorporate it by adding a tall bamboo plant maybe even in a straw woven pot, add a basket, or twigs in a vase. I don't want to mention an open wooden shelf as you may not need extra shelves. Thinks along the lines of where you could add something natural and warm.

I haven't read any of the previous many comments btw, so sorry If I mentioned the obvious.

I am showing you these photos for instance of my new (darker) kitchen where I tried to add natural element. I think it works for me and I needed the extra storage:)

KITCHEN MAKEOVER: from 80s to dark blue with white subway tiles. · More Info

KITCHEN MAKEOVER: from 80s to dark blue with white subway tiles. · More Info

• Kerry
    8 years ago
    I love the space you have and the stainless steel ktchen is really cool!! I have a few suggestions tho to warm the space up a bit. Take the stainless steel splash back from behind the cooker hood and tile the whole wall in something bold. Have you seen these split slate tiles? (Pic 1)They're available in popular tile shops!! Or you could consider taking it all back to brick for a really contempory look? I'd also consider putting in two (or three) low lights over the island, and changing the seats to wooden ones -maybe something fairly design led as you really have quite a large canvas to play with!! Hope I'm not repeating anyone elses ideas haven't had rime to read thru everyone's suggestions! ! Good luck!:-) Kerry. x
  • adelya
    8 years ago
    I would add two wooden shelves on both sides of the cooker and place pots with herbs on them.
    Or cover it with pattern tiles.
  • PRO
    User
    7 years ago

We live in an open plan scheme. I love mixing textures, textiles, and artwork to zone it and warm it up. Check out my "open plan living" project. Professional pictures coming soon :)

Open Plan Living · More Info

• PRO
    Abbey Design Architectural Services Ltd
    7 years ago

The space looks great and you have lots of scope there! Before embarking on major (and expensive) changes, how about softening things with some personal touches that bring a splash of colour? Perhaps a large photo or picture to create a feature on the walls? Allow some more light into the area by relaxing those blinds a bit too.

Then think about the lighting and how you can create zones within the larger space that warm things up and create a more intimate feel. What does the sun do during the day and how do things change in the evenings when you're more likely to be sitting down for meals?

Good luck with your project!

• PRO
    Babylon Interiors
    6 years ago

Lovely space, I think you'd go a long way with some paint in an accent colour and different soft furnishngs that tie in with the accent colour chosen. That will add colour and not break the bank. Good Luck.

• Julia Wainwright
    6 years ago
    how about putting some oak shelves in either side of the cooker hood. I would put 2 symmetrical on each side. You could then pop some art on the shelves, a plant, or any other beautiful kitchen items you want to display. Storage could come into play too with some beautiful kitchen glass storage jars etc.
  • Julia Wainwright
    6 years ago
    how about putting some oak shelves in either side of the cooker hood. I would put 2 symmetrical on each side. You could then pop some art on the shelves, a plant, or any other beautiful kitchen items you want to display. Storage could come into play too with some beautiful kitchen glass storage jars etc.
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.