4inboston

Subway tile dilemma and Ann Sacks

4inboston
8 years ago
Hello - I have 2 backsplash questions.

We are starting a kitchen renovation soon... 100 yr old house. We will be doing SS pro appliances, white shaker cabinets, keeping the original maple floors, and some type of quartz counters (not chosen yet - something light but not white).

I fell in love with Ann Sacks Stoneware Elements tile in "Flannel" (a pale blue-gray-green). There is a fair amount of variation in the colors between tiles, which is fine with me. My kitchen is not large (12x14 ish) and has a door on each of 3 walls, and the fourth wall is not a wall - it's open to our breakfast room. I need 32 sf of tile for backsplash. Here are my questions:

1. I have no idea if I should use 2x4 or 3x6. Worried the 2x4 will be too busy; worried the 3x6 will seem too large and modern in our soon-to-be transitional kitchen & old house.

2. There seem to be a lot of unhappy Ann Sacks customers.... am I crazy to use their tile? Should I go with some other subway tile brand that will no doubt be less expensive and arrive sooner than their 10 weeks?

I have attempted to attach the Ann Sacks photo below showing the Flannel color and variation.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Comments (11)

• libradesigneye
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Get the ann sacks - it is gorgeous stuff and this is a good place to splurge . . Stoneware is the perfect era for your architecture and home. I think the 2 x 4 is the right size - don't worry about it being too busy . . the variegation is what makes the tile beautiful. Do take a tile sample from your local store that reps ann sacks to the quartz store . .notice that the color of the grout above is a huge part of the color story in the room - choice of grout color will be very important. Match your grout to your quartz top and it will all come together.

• PRO
    blue house gardens
    8 years ago

I'd never heard of that tile before, but it is beautiful. We're preparing for a bathroom renovation so I'm going to look into it. Good luck with your project!

• 4inboston
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for your comments!!

• Maureen
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I've always loved the ceramic tiles below (see link for details/cost). My sister has a similar tile (more muted) and used 3X6, which look really beautiful.

http://www.houzz.com/photos/products/query/crackled-beige-subway-tiles/p/280

Antic Craquelle Mix 3 in. x 6 in. Ceramic Wall Tile (16- Pack - 2 sq ft) · More Info

• 4inboston
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you. Was the 3x6 in a kitchen? How large is the room?

• Maureen
    8 years ago

They were in a kitchen and it is farily small..the kitchen itself if probably 12 X 15 (guessing). The tiles followed the u-shape counter would have been 12 lenghtwise and maybe 6 or 7 feet on each side. Color of tile has a huge influence in keeping the space feeling larger I think than the size of the tile.

• 4inboston
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks everyone! Ok, I think I have settled on the 3x6. Hoping fewer grout lines and avoiding the small tiles will keep things looking bright. Now on to the grout color - I have no clue what to use. Doing a kitchen is 4 zillion tiny decisions!

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    8 years ago

Either size will work, but it sounds like you will be more comfortable with the smaller size: 2x4.

Keep in mind that in the photo you posted, the grout appears to be a cream color. This is what is making the tile appear "busy". Make sure, instead, that you choose a grout that is closest to the most present color in the tile, which appears to be a sort of blue-green-gray color. Also, for a less busy look, stack your tile close for a small grout-line.

SW6204 Sea Salt by Sherwin-Williams · More Info

• marilynellis
    8 years ago
    I vote for the 3x6 too. I have it and love it. Won't be too large for your space v
  • 4inboston
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks so much everyone for all the help.
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.